VOGONS

Reply 12800 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went to some local estate sale and thrift store warehouses today. Found a tad dirty but mint Gateway P-III tower. No blown caps that I can see. Plan on cleaning it tomorrow and firing her up. Also found a small stash of DOS and Windows 3.1 game CDs that I will use with my Pentium 200 DOS rig that I am currently restoring.

So packed you have to watch out for items falling on you. These are the types of dirt and grime places that I find the best stuff since Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are fairly picked over nowadays.

thrift1.jpg
Filename
thrift1.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
thrift4.jpg
Filename
thrift4.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
thrift3.jpg
Filename
thrift3.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

I nice deep cleaning and she'll be as good as new. P-III 500 Slot 1 CPU confirmed. The rest I haven't looked at yet.

thrift5.jpg
Filename
thrift5.jpg
File size
655.11 KiB
Views
File license
thrift2.jpg
Filename
thrift2.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12801 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I was browsing shelves of CDs a nice gentleman who was looking for media server content handed me this. Kind of an interesting piece. Game collection for a new (now vintage) Dell system still sealed. Under "Cool Stuff", Net Flix before there was Netflix? Interesting.

thrift6.jpg
Filename
thrift6.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
thrift7.jpg
Filename
thrift7.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-09-05, 10:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12802 of 27334, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
Went to some local estate sale and thrift store warehouses today. Found a tad dirty but mint Gateway P-III tower. No blown caps […]
Show full quote

Went to some local estate sale and thrift store warehouses today. Found a tad dirty but mint Gateway P-III tower. No blown caps that I can see. Plan on cleaning it tomorrow and firing her up. Also found a small stash of DOS and Windows 3.1 game CDs that I will use with my Pentium 200 DOS rig that I am currently restoring.

So packed you have to watch out for items falling on you. These are the types of dirt and grime places that I find the best stuff since Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are fairly picked over nowadays.

thrift1.jpg
thrift4.jpg
thrift3.jpg

I nice deep cleaning and she'll be as good as new. P-III 500 Slot 1 CPU confirmed. The rest I haven't looked at yet.

thrift5.jpg
thrift2.jpg

Nice. Is it equipped with an SE440BX variant?

Also, the technical term for that warehouse is a "heap".

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12803 of 27334, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice. Is it equipped with an SE440BX variant?

Also, the technical term for that warehouse is a "heap".

the WS440BX, which is a variant of the SE440BX type motherboard, has 1 AGP 2x slot, 4 PCI slots and 1 ISA/PCI shared slot, 3x SDRAM slots, PS/2, USB 1.0, Serial and Parallel. Pretty good motherboard as it was made by Intel.

i-img1150x1200-1526088367hnbcsp138106.jpg

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 12804 of 27334, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Disappointing that they went with an AudioPCI variant for the sound chip. 🙁

Reply 12806 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Disappointing that they went with an AudioPCI variant for the sound chip. 🙁

Yeah but also understandable; it let them tick a lot of bullet points like PCI AUDIO!!, WAVETABLE MUSIC!! etc.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12807 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, as predicted, pretty standard. As Windows9566 stated on the motherboard minus the on-board audio. Replaced by a CT4830. Still, $20, I'll take it and clean her up. I have a feeling the HDD was not wiped, but we'll see shortly.

IMG_4446.JPG
Filename
IMG_4446.JPG
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license

Cleaned up very nicely. Looks like it came right out of a Gateway Country store. Anyone remember those? Nice interiors, comfy couches, but you couldn't actually walk out of one with a new computer. You could just order one in the store.

IMG_4449.JPG
Filename
IMG_4449.JPG
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12808 of 27334, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, the joys of Windows 98SE, FAT32 and wonky drivers...

Was installing my G400MAX on my late Win98 Tualatin system. Suddenly everything froze - and 5 min later I got an "unable to write to C:" message. Yep, whole partition gone. Checked drive with badblocks and it seems OK, so tried to reinstall: errors of missing files before install was even halfway complete. Something badly wrong at a hardware level. Now running Memtest86+ to rule RAM out. Looks good so far, will see the big picture tomorrow morning.

Fortunately have something to take my mind off frustration: some new music. Inspired by Doom and Quake. Composed on a 486DX:

hqdefault.jpg
Master Boot Record - Interrupt Request
https://youtu.be/rvYqjBYuq-4

Reply 12809 of 27334, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got sound going on my P166MMX test rig withe a 4gig BigFoot hdd running Turbo Linux from 1999. The card I used was a Sound Blaster 16 CT2190. All I neeed to do in turbosoundcfg is change the IRQ to 5.

20190906_111644[1].jpg
Filename
20190906_111644[1].jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

The sound card is huge compared to the motherboard, pci nic and pci SIS video card.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-06, 02:43. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12810 of 27334, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
IMG_4449.JPG

Did it come with the Zip drive or is that you?

Reply 12811 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
liqmat wrote:
IMG_4449.JPG

Came with. Doesn't always detect at post though. Working through that. On same cable as DVD ROM drive. I'm sure it's a simple fix. The IBM Deathstar HDD had the clunk of death so replaced it. Windows 98SE install ensued.

Reply 12812 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Goody gum drops. I need to replace a noisy or figure out why the side panel door fan is buzzing, even though the bearings are lubricated on my main PC.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12813 of 27334, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:
As my main PC's PSU decided that it will take an eternal vocation from now on, I'm a bit forced to use my old trusty EeePC 1015P […]
Show full quote

As my main PC's PSU decided that it will take an eternal vocation from now on, I'm a bit forced to use my old trusty EeePC 1015PEM.
Intel Atom 2/4 cores, 2GB ram, 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Well... It's good enough to browse the forums and such, but youtube is completely out of the question. 😜 Full keyboard will help the first (as i'm currently posting this post from it) and the second i can do through a phone anyways. Only real downside is the tiny resolution of the screen: 1024x600

Actually, quite a nice little netbook. Back in days, it was my everyday machine at school with battery that lasted the whole full day with wifi turned on. Even today, i can get 5-6 hours out of it. 😜

I've spent weeks at a time just with such a netbook and while 3D capabilities are lacking (Unreal runs @ around 25fps. Even got Crysis running, but @ around 3fps 🤣 ), 2D is pretty good. Stronghold, Red Alert 2 and a bunch of other 2D games run great!

I do recall 480p working fine for Youtube. Looks like they changed up the code in the last couple of years.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 12814 of 27334, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:
As my main PC's PSU decided that it will take an eternal vocation from now on, I'm a bit forced to use my old trusty EeePC 1015P […]
Show full quote

As my main PC's PSU decided that it will take an eternal vocation from now on, I'm a bit forced to use my old trusty EeePC 1015PEM.
Intel Atom 2/4 cores, 2GB ram, 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Well... It's good enough to browse the forums and such, but youtube is completely out of the question. 😜 Full keyboard will help the first (as i'm currently posting this post from it) and the second i can do through a phone anyways. Only real downside is the tiny resolution of the screen: 1024x600

Actually, quite a nice little netbook. Back in days, it was my everyday machine at school with battery that lasted the whole full day with wifi turned on. Even today, i can get 5-6 hours out of it. 😜

I've spent weeks at a time just with such a netbook and while 3D capabilities are lacking (Unreal runs @ around 25fps. Even got Crysis running, but @ around 3fps 🤣 ), 2D is pretty good. Stronghold, Red Alert 2 and a bunch of other 2D games run great!

I do recall 480p working fine for Youtube. Looks like they changed up the code in the last couple of years.

I remember, when i had an older netbook, EEE PC 901, and my main pc went kaputt. I attached that to big screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers and used it as main desktop pc. It was about year 2008 then. Worked well for that month or two.

But yes, youtube has probably changed codecs or something, that requires better cpu. (Either in raw power or some instruction sets that this tiny Atom cpu just doesn't have) I remember, the older eee 901 even was very capable with youtube back in days...

But just today, i received a new PSU and everything is working again. Thankfully the old PSU didn't take anything with it. 😀 I wonder, should i soon start posting about my main pc also into retro category, as it is originally built together in 2013 and i have upgraded only storage and graphics card? (+psu replacement now 😁 )

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12815 of 27334, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Came with. Doesn't always detect at post though. Working through that.

Still, gravy!

Reply 12816 of 27334, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Took my 486 with window 3.11 and installed:
Video for Windows
WinG
Win32s
Xing player
WinPlay3

While it can play mpeg video files, it doesn't do it very well. 😁

Also noticed that the FM/MIDI sound is very quiet on the left channel. Mixer is fine. Maybe some trace has got damaged on the card?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12817 of 27334, by retronerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Went to some local estate sale and thrift store warehouses today. Found a tad dirty but mint Gateway P-III tower. No blown caps […]
Show full quote

thrift1.jpg
thrift4.jpg
thrift3.jpg

thrift5.jpg
thrift2.jpg

Those are my kinda places!!

Reply 12818 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:
Took my 486 with window 3.11 and installed: Video for Windows WinG Win32s Xing player WinPlay3 […]
Show full quote

Took my 486 with window 3.11 and installed:
Video for Windows
WinG
Win32s
Xing player
WinPlay3

While it can play mpeg video files, it doesn't do it very well. 😁

Also noticed that the FM/MIDI sound is very quiet on the left channel. Mixer is fine. Maybe some trace has got damaged on the card?

I wonder if it could play the modern MPEG videos with some codec installed? That kept me thinking for a while... probably not.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12819 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Still, gravy!

Agreed and found a local store with a stack of used Zip media. Probably will snatch it up as it is being thrown away. Also, got the detection sorted at post. Loose cable issue.