Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30120 of 52769, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I wanted a real vintage ISA POST analysis card for a while now, since I have two motherboards that don't work with the otherwise very decent new ISA/PCI versions you get for a few bucks on eBay. I made some money selling stuff and decided to get something nice:

Pretty much never used, the software is still sealed. One of the loopback connectors is missing but otherwise complete and in good condition. Money well wasted! 😉

Hehe, nice card. I bought the Ultra-X set:
Re: ULTRA-X Professional Hardware Diagnostics P.H.D.16 - Made in U.S.A

But dont expect too much. If Supersoft/China-card doesnt do anything, these cards will also not.

Reply 30121 of 52769, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this used 19" lcd with a great stand for 15€.
The 5:4 ratio is way better for retro stuff, than the everyday 16:9 or 16:10 screens i used previously. Unfortunately, i don't have that much space to get a proper CRT, so that lcd is fine enough.

The monitor stand itself was well worth of this 15€ and therefore the monitor can be considered as free. 😜
1_1_55901822.jpg

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 30122 of 52769, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Bancho

Are you willing to image these disks ? I have a loose NV1 and I'd like to see what it can do ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 30123 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:

OK, this is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I hope you can get it restored.

I hope so too 😀 I am just confused as to why somebody would remove the power cables and not put them back... maybe they got used to repair another machine? idk... will find out.

speaking of restoring... not retro hardware as such:

hardware29_06.jpg
Filename
hardware29_06.jpg
File size
117.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...but I hope the naked CT1350B I saved from scrap will be delighted to get it's OPL back ^^
and while I'm at it a few other audio chips that will come in handy 😀

I just hope they're all the real deal ^^

Reply 30124 of 52769, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote:
Bought this used 19" lcd with a great stand for 15€. The 5:4 ratio is way better for retro stuff, than the everyday 16:9 or 16:1 […]
Show full quote

The 5:4 ratio is way better for retro stuff, than the everyday 16:9 or 16:10 screens i used previously. Unfortunately, i don't have that much space to get a proper CRT, so that lcd is fine enough.

The monitor stand itself was well worth of this 15€ and therefore the monitor can be considered as free. 😜
1_1_55901822.jpg

Awsome. Is it height adjustable? It's aways good when you get a bargain.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30125 of 52769, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
I also own one of these cards, I had it in my PII PC in 1998 and managed to get a hold of one again early last year. I have ver […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

- Asus V2740TV, probably the most feature-rich Intel i740-based card out there.

I also own one of these cards, I had it in my PII PC in 1998 and managed to get a hold of one again early last year. I have very fond memories of using it alongside a Voodoo 2, it had very good image quality and I actually got a lot of use out of the video out.

ASUS-AGP-V2740-TV-Intel-i740.jpg

ASUS made a lot of cards with fantastic VIVO functionality at the time. This GeForce DDR from my collection for example is also equally amazing:

ASUS-AGP-V6600-32-M-TVR-Ge-Force-256-DDR.jpg

Looks like an Asus v6600 sdram to me? The DDR version is the v6800 DDR. Sdram version is SGram and it actually says so on the board.(sorry)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 30126 of 52769, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
stoof wrote:

[...]
I just hope they're all the real deal ^^

with a datecode of 13th week of 2013 there are some possibilities:
a. they are just rebranded originals because the old ones were scratched and had cosmetic issues
b. they are rebranded clones that could work fine or not...

I think though you'll be ok

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30128 of 52769, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah, that's just typical chinese re-branding...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30129 of 52769, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hah thats interesting...was not aware these are date codes. Few weeks ago I also got some YM3812 from China for my CT1350b with missing OPL. Mine are labeled "1040 EBAD". Manufactured CW40 2010?

Reply 30130 of 52769, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB hard-drive dock so I can image my old IDE hard-drives.
Works with PC and Macs.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-09-06, 12:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30132 of 52769, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Works with PC and Macs.

I got the same one... the problem is the spacing between the IDE and power connector.. this dock lets you adjust spacing but a) i've found drives that still don't fit and b) when it DOES fit, it still is a bit of a pain to get the drive pushed in all the way

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 30133 of 52769, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Works with PC and Macs.

I got the same one... the problem is the spacing between the IDE and power connector.. this dock lets you adjust spacing but a) i've found drives that still don't fit and b) when it DOES fit, it still is a bit of a pain to get the drive pushed in all the way

Thanks for the feed back on that. I was considering one of those hdd cradles.Some of the earlier IDE hddsweren't completely standard. I'll go for something a bit more open.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30134 of 52769, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I managed to snag a bunch of stuff over the last two or so weeks, including a floppy drive that almost killed my CD Drive. I'm not kidding about that. Luckily, I can return the floppy drive.

IMG_20190905_203910.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190905_203910.jpg
File size
767.15 KiB
Views
File license

Above are a P3 550, which has already been integrated in to my most recent build, a completely working Microsoft Sidewinder Pro, a Pentium MMX 166, ATi Mach 32 with an odd AT&T chip, and a Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme. Closer pictures of the latter two are below.

IMG_20190905_204023.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190905_204023.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20190905_204017.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190905_204017.jpg
File size
804.46 KiB
Views
File license

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 30135 of 52769, by Durandal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:
also this cute thing :3c […]
Show full quote

also this cute thing :3c

hardware29_03.jpg

it's astonishing what they crammed in there, even place for a 8bit ISA card 😀

hardware29_04.jpg

unfortunately the PSU is missing, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out... but it also seems like someone already had a go at this, the front had a broken clip and some of it is missing, the HDD power cable is missing and one of the screws was rattling around inside, the speaker broke off and the FDD wasn't screwed in at all and bent a bit so the door wouldn't close properly, also the power button sticks.
I hope that I will be able to get it to work cause I really like that small form factor, and it's a 286 😀 ...from checking the chips it seems to only have CGA graphics though, not much I can do about that.
also need to find a sound card that'll work in the 8bit slot and is short enough to fit inside the case.

hardware29_05.jpg

I can't respond to PM's, I think my account is too new - so I'll just respond to you here. The pinout you found is correct and I also have the manual for the 80286 model, I'll scan it at some point. It doesn't really have any useful information in it other than the fact that the matching keyboard is able to automatically switch between XT and AT modes, which I tested and confirmed. It also tells you how to disable onboard CGA via dip switches if you have an 8-bit ISA VGA card installed. Unfortunately due to the extremely limited amount of space in the case, it can't fit most 8-bit ISA cards, but mine came with an official Carry-1 branded card that has its components placed in somewhat unconventional places on the board in order to fit better.

Another thing to note is that you won't be able to boot from the internal hard drive if your Dallas clock chip is dead. You can change the BIOS settings all you want, but they never save on reboot even if you keep the computer plugged in the whole time, and the settings it defaults to don't include the hard drive. I'm going to buy one of those modern Dallas replacements that lets you use a regular CR2032 at some point soon but I don't really need it since I have a parallel port HDD by BackPack. I still have to boot from floppy, but at least I can still play games from HDD.

Reply 30136 of 52769, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
keropi wrote:

nah, that's just typical chinese re-branding...

just wondering why they are doing it for the YM3812 and not the others 😕

they do it with every chip they can get - I have even ceramic eproms painted over on top and rebranded... OPLx, eeproms, eproms, mcus, whetever it does not matter. It gets rebranded to look like new.

Reply 30137 of 52769, by retronerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:
Inherited this guy today. A contractor was working on our home and noticed my collection. He asked if he could drop off an ol […]
Show full quote

Inherited this guy today. A contractor was working on our home and noticed my collection. He asked if he could drop off an old computer - I didn't expect too much but not bad - clean inside and external battery!

It posts but cannot get it to booth the drive even after manually entering the hard drive settings. Need to do some more testing but a seemingly decent system in great shape. And the MB sheet on the reverse side of the case cover - wha?!! Awesome. 😎

erXB3y.jpg
t1ihix.jpg
C2nuSv.jpg
rLOfNe.jpg
5hQz76.jpg
W4qVPU.jpg
eXYkRY.jpg

Hello Artex!

Is this particular PC something you would consider selling or trading for? I've been searching for one for ages and found this post through a Google search... and amazingly we only live about 45 minutes apart. I would have PM'd you but I didn't see an option to, I suspect because my account is new.

Please send me a message! Thanks!

Reply 30138 of 52769, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like compudynes. I didn't know they used those FX3000 boards. Pretty neat.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 30139 of 52769, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:
Bought this used 19" lcd with a great stand for 15€. The 5:4 ratio is way better for retro stuff, than the everyday 16:9 or 16:1 […]
Show full quote

// Picture of monitor //

Awsome. Is it height adjustable? It's aways good when you get a bargain.

Yes it is! And the pole itself has even a cable duct inside. (Y)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!