VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just looking for a little advice, tips, etc. or what ever you think...

So I need to make room and clear up most of my retro collection. Because of PCem and DOSBox ECE I'm good but I still want to have one period correct-ish build than I can adjust as needed. I basically want to whittle it down to one, possibly two PCs and maybe a few cards if I decide to switch it up a bit. The rest, I plan to ebay. I may take sell some to get other cards like Voodoo 2s.

I currently have two complete "super" builds that will remain.
Win98: Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2GHz, 512mb DDR, nVidia QuadroFX 3000, SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum, TB Vortex2 A3D, 120GB SSD. nGlide provides 3dfx glide but not in DOS.
WinXP/7: Phenom II X6 1100T, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 6-6-6-18 @ 1333MHz, 2x Radeon 6850 in Crossfire, SB X-fi Platinum

The build I'm looking at is based on a Pentium II 400MHz on an ASUS P3B-F w/ two ISA slots. This is because the P2 is unlocked and I can bring it down to 133MHz and down to effective single and double digit MHz when shutting off L1 Cache. This is mostly for DOS gaming.
I am a Voodoo fan but I do want to cover as much ground as I can. I will soon have a Voodoo 1. I was thinking of pairing it with a Voodoo 3 3000. I do also have a S3 Trio64V+ card, Diamond Stealth 64 2001. In this build, is the Voodoo 3 overkill? Would I be better served with say a Voodoo2 paired with the S3 card? I also have a Geforce Riva TNT, an MX200 or 400, GF2 GTS 64mb, FX 5200 and FX 5500 but I'll probably avoid the FX.
Sound Card wise, I have a SB32 3670 and Audician 32 Plus w/ Dreamblaster S2. May use one or the other of find a way to use both.
I use an IDE to SD card adapter which makes switching things up easy

The other potential build would be based on a P3 933MHz on an ASUS P3V4X, VIA chipset, AGP4x, 1 ISA slot. Probably more suited for the Voodoo 3 but I would want to pair it with the Voodoo 1 or get a Voodoo 2 and use that instead of the Voodoo 1. I can't reduce the speed as I can with the P2 400, some DOS games require lowering Bus speed to 66Hz to run without artifacting.
Running an ISA sound card might not be worth it. SB Live with DOS capabilities might be a better choice.
This build leans toward modern Win98 and my Win98 "super" build would be a better choice.
(I think I'm talking myself out of this one)

Other cards available (and probably will sell):
AWE 64 Value, Reveal SC500, Voodoo Rush, Matrox G200, Matrox G400 Max, Radeon X850 XT, GF 6800 GT, mix of Audigy 2 ZS, X-fi and SB Live, TB Santa Cruz.

I think my main toss up is if a Voodoo 3 is overkill for a P2 400 and would I be better served with a Voodoo 2, maybe SLI, and something else.

So yeah, gota do what ya gota do. I need to reduce my stock but I want to keep a well rounded machine.

Thanks for any advice.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 5, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:
Just looking for a little advice, tips, etc. or what ever you think... […]
Show full quote

Just looking for a little advice, tips, etc. or what ever you think...

The build I'm looking at is based on a Pentium II 400MHz on an ASUS P3B-F w/ two ISA slots. This is because the P2 is unlocked and I can bring it down to 133MHz and down to effective single and double digit MHz when shutting off L1 Cache. This is mostly for DOS gaming.
I am a Voodoo fan but I do want to cover as much ground as I can. I will soon have a Voodoo 1. I was thinking of pairing it with a Voodoo 3 3000. I do also have a S3 Trio64V+ card, Diamond Stealth 64 2001. In this build, is the Voodoo 3 overkill? Would I be better served with say a Voodoo2 paired with the S3 card? I also have a Geforce Riva TNT, an MX200 or 400, GF2 GTS 64mb, FX 5200 and FX 5500 but I'll probably avoid the FX.
Sound Card wise, I have a SB32 3670 and Audician 32 Plus w/ Dreamblaster S2. May use one or the other of find a way to use both.
I use an IDE to SD card adapter which makes switching things up easy

I would choose for this system with a GF2 and a Voodoo2 for DirectX and Glide support in one system. I don't see the point of pairing a Voodoo1 with a Voodoo3, but maybe I don't know something what you do know. I have no idea what an Audician 32 Plus is. If you have a SB AWE64 Gold then that is all you're ever going to need for playing more recent DOS and early Windows 9x games.

Reply 2 of 5, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

I would choose for this system with a GF2 and a Voodoo2 for DirectX and Glide support in one system. I don't see the point of pairing a Voodoo1 with a Voodoo3, but maybe I don't know something what you do know. I have no idea what an Audician 32 Plus is. If you have a SB AWE64 Gold then that is all you're ever going to need for playing more recent DOS and early Windows 9x games.

Audician 32 Plus is true Yamaha OPL3 chip and wavetable header so the Dreamblaster fits on it nicely. The Sound Blaster 32 I have has the AWE64 chip and 32MB of DIMMs. Search PhilsComputerLab on youtube for reviews.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 3 of 5, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

Audician 32 Plus is true Yamaha OPL3 chip and wavetable header so the Dreamblaster fits on it nicely. The Sound Blaster 32 I have has the AWE64 chip and 32MB of DIMMs. Search PhilsComputerLab on youtube for reviews.

I think that when it comes to sound cards it's a matter of personal preference. I'm entirely happy with my AWE64 Gold (and also the Value is absolutely fine for me), works great with late DOS games.

Reply 4 of 5, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder, what about the P3B4X with the P3 933, Voodoo 1 + Voodoo 3, the SB32 or Audician 32 Plus for DOS (only one ISA slot) and SB Live or Audigy 2 ZS for Windows. The P3 933 is stuck at a 7x multiplier. That gives me 462MHz at 66 bus, 700 @ 100 bus and of course 933 @ 133 bus. Late DOS compatibility for sure, but can it play Lemmings, Sierra and Lucas Arts games, etc. BUT I do have my "super" build and there always is DOSBox and PCem.

Yet one more toss up...

Reply 5 of 5, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

However, a true retro machine really should have the 440BX chipset that the P3B-F gives...