Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30261 of 52344, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

There's this old saying 'if it looks / sounds too good to be true, then it probably is'. The folks who sell scrap are often professionals; they know what they do. If they would identify really valuable stuff, then I'm sure that they would offer it separately. Yes, you can be a couple times lucky, but in the end you are just gambling 😉

yeah, I know it's all a gamble, and I have been very lucky on some, but it's just a pity if there is a nice gpu or motherboard in there, and then it's packed so horribly bad that something that looked fine on the picture just arrives completely broken... and since it's all sold as scrap anyways I don't think there's much room for recourse.

unfortunately it's far easier to find particular parts in scrap lots than to go looking for individual parts that get sold for insane prices.

local classifieds rarely have anything good, and they too ask prices similar to ebay already or are just gone before I get the chance ^^

but I've got good things out of them already and I'm probably going to concentrate more on building stuff with what I have now 😀

Reply 30262 of 52344, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Got a cheap Pentium III 1100 for a 100 MHz FSB today.

Nice. I wonder how far you can overclock it.

Nah, I'm not into overclocking retro hardware, which is why I wanted to stick with 100MHz FSB in the first place. I'd like to have a stable system even if it means I am losing a bit of performance. A system like that is plenty for nearly all late 90s games which is my primary area of interest.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 30263 of 52344, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrFr wrote:
I'm on a shopping spree today :lol: […]
Show full quote

I'm on a shopping spree today 🤣

Got this Digigram VX222 sound card for 2,5€. If it's not very good, it's not a big loss. I think I'm going to use this on my new Intellistation. Too bad it didn't come with the breakout cables, it only has 3,5mm audio out on board. It is some kind of professional audio card with balanced inputs and outputs. Made in France. It has been very expensive card when new: https://www.studiocare.com/digigram-vx222-hr- … sure-i-o-s.html

IMGP1573_.jpg

edit: Found a cable pinout for this. Seems trivial to make a suitable cable actually.

Little update on this. I tested it, and it sounds awesome. I spent something like two hours just listening to this fine device. It even drives headphones well and loud, straight out of the 3,5mm connector. This must be the best 2,50 euros I have ever spent on hardware 😎

Not sure how it will do with games. This card is targeted for professional audio production, so it might do some unexpected tricks with games. I still don't have gaming capable AGP graphics card for that machine, so that part of the testing has to wait.

Reply 30264 of 52344, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well my mood is up again 😀

I fished this out and cleaned it up, it was scratched to hell, there's a long scratch along multiple traces on the backside but they all seem intact, and one of the ICs is bent out of place + a few bent pins that are going to be easy to fix though... I just quickly threw it in to test and not only does it work, but oh my, the VGA output is smoooooth AF, so clean 😁, the ET4000AX I had in before was a bit noisy on certain background colors.

hardware30_02.jpg
Filename
hardware30_02.jpg
File size
214.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 30265 of 52344, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:
yeah, I know it's all a gamble, and I have been very lucky on some, but it's just a pity if there is a nice gpu or motherboard i […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

There's this old saying 'if it looks / sounds too good to be true, then it probably is'. The folks who sell scrap are often professionals; they know what they do. If they would identify really valuable stuff, then I'm sure that they would offer it separately. Yes, you can be a couple times lucky, but in the end you are just gambling 😉

yeah, I know it's all a gamble, and I have been very lucky on some, but it's just a pity if there is a nice gpu or motherboard in there, and then it's packed so horribly bad that something that looked fine on the picture just arrives completely broken... and since it's all sold as scrap anyways I don't think there's much room for recourse.

unfortunately it's far easier to find particular parts in scrap lots than to go looking for individual parts that get sold for insane prices.

local classifieds rarely have anything good, and they too ask prices similar to ebay already or are just gone before I get the chance ^^

but I've got good things out of them already and I'm probably going to concentrate more on building stuff with what I have now 😀

Some computer parts might look good from a distance, but especially parts from the 90's and more recent have (among others) very small SMD components, which can be easily wiped off. I once destroyed a perfectly fine Asus GF4 MX460 that way by trying to install a new cooler 😵 You can only imagine what can happen if you buy bulk scrap and everything gets mixed up during shipping. You would need to be able to inspect razor sharp high resolution pictures of the parts in advance, know how a good example of a part looks like and still have a lot of luck to profit from such scrap deals. Looking at the sold prices of > € 50 for a couple kilograms, I think that's pretty expensive with so much risk involved and no warranty.

Reply 30266 of 52344, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unknown (for now) 486 EISA motherboard, marked 4FLUD-1. Keyboard connector removed for some reason, but looks okay otherwise. No battery damage (battery was also already removed).
KCLNUbzl.jpg?1

EISA cached IDE FDD controller:
dLkhY1cl.jpg?1

vVBtlqUl.jpg?1

FEh2GXVl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 30267 of 52344, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Unknown (for now) 486 EISA motherboard, marked 4FLUD-1. Keyboard connector removed for some reason, but looks okay otherwise. No […]
Show full quote

Unknown (for now) 486 EISA motherboard, marked 4FLUD-1. Keyboard connector removed for some reason, but looks okay otherwise. No battery damage (battery was also already removed).
KCLNUbzl.jpg?1

This is NOT an EISA motherboard.
Look at the BIOS chip. Look at the chipset.
It seems to be an OPTI Local Bus.
Do you have a graphics card too?

Reply 30268 of 52344, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although EISA and OPTi Local Bus slots are similar and mechanically compatible (?), plugging a EISA card into a OPTi Local Bus slot is going to damage either the card, the motherboard or both.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30270 of 52344, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Got a cheap Pentium III 1100 for a 100 MHz FSB today. […]
Show full quote

Got a cheap Pentium III 1100 for a 100 MHz FSB today.

cQcQxv2m.jpg

Thing is, I've been looking for a 1GHz/100 Slot 1 CPU for my beloved 440BX system (in my signature) with no luck and this chip is even better. The only thing left now is to find a proper Slotket adapter. I have this one:

practically they do not really put to a bx in the past, they released just in 2001. the 900/1000mhz version is end of 2000 too.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 30272 of 52344, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

well my mood is up again 😀

I fished this out and cleaned it up, it was scratched to hell, there's a long scratch along multiple traces on the backside but they all seem intact, and one of the ICs is bent out of place + a few bent pins that are going to be easy to fix though... I just quickly threw it in to test and not only does it work, but oh my, the VGA output is smoooooth AF, so clean 😁, the ET4000AX I had in before was a bit noisy on certain background colors.

hardware30_02.jpg

nice!
is it possible to dump the 2 roms the card has? I have one too but the stickers say it's v5.01 - wouldn't mind to upgrade 🤣

J57NlCWl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30273 of 52344, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was in a hurry and almost skipped going to the local recycling center...almost.

SuperMicro P6DGH for 2€. 😊

p3.jpg
Filename
p3.jpg
File size
773.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.cnet.com/products/supermicro-supe … -slot-1-i440gx/

Reply 30277 of 52344, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:
I was in a hurry and almost skipped going to the local recycling center...almost. SuperMicro P6DGH for 2€. :blush: p3.jpg https […]
Show full quote

I was in a hurry and almost skipped going to the local recycling center...almost.
SuperMicro P6DGH for 2€. 😊
p3.jpg
https://www.cnet.com/products/supermicro-supe … -slot-1-i440gx/

Man, what a funky board is this. Power conns are crazy too. And 72pins RAM for 2x slot 1 ... wow nice setup 😀

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 30278 of 52344, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so yuo have some treasures for amiga? any accessories which are rare?

I own a CD32, two A600, two A1200, and one A500. All except the A500 are fitted with lots of expansion hardware. One A600 has an M-Tec 630 and an MP3@64 installed, one A1200 a Blizzard 1260 and uses a limited CD32-style case from Kickstarter. Also more common stuff like Indivision ECS and AGA, Prisma Megamix etc.

btw, there is some Amiga coverage: http://www.retro-net.de/blog-suche.html?tag=Amiga

Reply 30279 of 52344, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a nice Gigabyte GA-486VS motherboard today. Battery had been removed and the appears to be minimal to non corrosion. Board looks to be in great condition. It came with a DX2 66 and 8mb Ram.

Set it up and it booted straight away so well happy! Looking at the board there is a space for a coin battery holder. Can anyone advise if its possible to solder in a holder? Is there anything that needs to be done to the board?

W7GcD2al.jpg
b5XiVSfl.jpg