VOGONS

Reply 23 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, look at the initial github link in the first post: https://github.com/rishooty/Q9xS

For the most part you just drop the updates folder and iso anywhere you want, then point the application to them. I recommend you don't put the iso in the same directory as the application, as it will be overwritten otherwise.

Reply 24 of 48, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

man this looks great, sign me the bleep up 😁 i'll test it this weekend. looks like a solid patch with mostly only updates that matter for compatibility and stability and nothing else which is all that matters to me.

Reply 25 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's done. All the update packs I've made so far are now stored in the public pcloud link here:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZ8V2 … UjgXpSlYFMkzvAy

A direct link to the Windows 98 Vogons Approved Update Pack:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZRJ2 … uOXnOfxSpENdNQk

Final Results:

• 98KRNLUP.EXE (Fixes Stack Corruption)
    98UPDSYS.EXE (Updates Intel CPU Microcode)
    4756US8.EXE (The classic shutdown supplment)
    236926USA8.EXE (Fixes prematurely transmitted packets)
    239696usa8.exe (Fixes hanging after suspend)
    240075up.exe (Fixes usb issues with AMD CPU + VIA USB Controller)
    241052usa8.exe (Fixes issue with password screen)
    249146usa8.exe (Fixes Disabled Sounds with usb devices)
    249635usa8.exe (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb drivers)
    253697USA8.EXE (Fixes OpenHCI Controller issues with fast pcs)
    258680usa8.exe (Fixes hang upon screensaver)
    272621usa8.exe (Fixes Virtual Memory tab showing negative HD free sizes)
    273017USA8.EXE (Fixes Scandisk running on every boot)
    274175usa8.exe (Fixes copy errors when 8 levels deep in a CD/DVD)
    278368usa8.exe (Fixes a memory leak with ATMUNI.SYS)
    281533usa8.exe (Fixes USB Driver Trap 14 error)
    290831usa8.exe (Update 273017USA8)
    291362usa8.exe (Fixes hanging with USER32.DLL + USER.EXE)
    293793USA8.EXE (Fixes Vredir Errors)
    306453usa8.exe (Fixes USB Stop Error)
    aspi_471a2.exe (updated ASPI drivers)
    bhdd31.zip (120gb+ hdd support)
    dst_9xme.exe (Updates timezone daylight savings to 2011)
    iosys98.exe (2GB+ DVD support)
    Q240896.EXE (Fixes OpenGL IPF error)
    Q246817.EXE (Update to the shutdown supplement)
    Q253912.exe (1GB RAM support)
    Q257821.EXE (Fixes winsock time-out error)
    Q269604.EXE (Fixes Directsound Error with DSOUND.DLL)
    Q277628.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous "access denied" error with VFAT.VXD)
    Q310695.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous error with DVD playback)
    Q311561.exe (Fixes potential HDD corruption in MS-DOS mode)
    Q926247.EXE (Fixes SNMP Memory corruption)
    qfe-winse-q245065-en.zip (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb keyboards)
    scanfrag.exe (120gb+ hdd support)

Installers for Post-Installation
    --------------------------------
    nusb22e.exe (installs a usb stack, doesn't replace explorer.exe unlike 3.x)
    copy2gb.exe (fixes an error when copying files greater than 2gb)

Note that update packs are nothing more than extracted system files, so you can combine them if you like. For example, you can mix it with MS Security Update 2004. Just make sure you compare the files to properly overwrite or keep the latest version.

Reply 26 of 48, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno if this is beyond the scope of this utility but below is a thread on a minimal install of 95 for gaming:
Minimal install for DOSBox/95 gaming

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Dunno if this is beyond the scope of this utility but below is a thread on a minimal install of 95 for gaming:
Minimal install for DOSBox/95 gaming

It is beyond the scope and isn't at the same time.

See, if you run it again it will detect both if your files are already extracted and if there are any new updates. It won't bother reupdating or editing layout.inf unless you say so. This gives you a chance to just modify the extracted files yourself and generate a new iso from that.

As for doing this automatically, id rather keep it generic with no options specific to any given os, especially because the user is free to edit the files after it's been run once.

Also note it doesn't detect the filesize of SETUPPP correctly (there are some files which simply won't report the right filesize to C#), so it can't be done automatically anyway. When I removed IE integration from my OSR2.5 I had to edit the filesize value in layout.inf manually.

Reply 29 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Nice coincidence. What I'm planning to do after finishing my update packs and maybe something for DOS, is attempting to make a post install utility that makes it easy to install and set common things, mostly based on that guide and a similar one for 95. I'd have to learn Visual Basic 6 though, no C# for Windows 95.

[EDIT] Heh, looks like cacheman already does what I had in mind for the memory optimizations anyway: https://msfn.org/board/topic/129189-read-ahea … to-increase-it/

Reply 30 of 48, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I installed dotnet core runtime and asp.net core runtime 2.1.13 When I want to run it, I get error

D:\slipstream\w98\q9xs>"c:\program files\dotnet\dotnet" Q9xS.dll d:\slipstream\w98\updates\ d:\slipstream\w98\iso\win98se.iso
Error:
An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest (Q9xS.deps.json) was not found:
package: 'DiscUtils.BootConfig', version: '0.16.0-alpha0017'
path: 'lib/netstandard2.0/DiscUtils.BootConfig.dll'

I cant find version 0.16.0-alpha0017, only 0.15.1-ci0002, but installing that requires dotnet SDK.

so am I missing something?

Reply 31 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I'm a month late, I don't check vogons often. In the future, try to post a bug to github. That way it shows up in my email immediately.

Anyway, it turns out that by default most dotnet core apps require the whole sdk for some reason, at least until you disable one particular setting.
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/13542

I'll fix it, but for now install the SDK.

[It's been updated with the fix.]

Reply 32 of 48, by LeftyBC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A year later and I'm trying this - rishooty, your tool is excellent! The big hurdle I ran into is that it seems to require an OEM version of Windows 98 to successfully patch.

When trying to patch the retail Windows 98 SE disc, the tool successfully runs and generates the ISO, but when you run setup off the newly minted ISO, Windows setup throws an error right after "preparing files for setup" before anything can really be done:

Error SU0350 Setup Was Unable to Display the Nondisclosure Agreement

Various googling shows that it's complaining about a CRC mismatch for license.txt, but I can't see where that's being set in the various layout*.inf files at a glance.

Running the tool against the OEM version of Windows 98 SE appears to be working - I'm trying it out on an 86Box VM currently and was able to get setup to run normally. The VM has 1.5GB of RAM and a virtual Pentium II Xeon at 400MHz.

(Though after booting into the second phase of Windows 98 setup, it appears to complain about not being able to compile a monolithic VXD and then crashes - still investigating that)

Reply 33 of 48, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think the best way to patch 98se and millennium is the batch file example of autopatcher '97 if someone made an updated 98se version with the now R.I.P. R. Loew patches and a version for millennium that would be compatible with oem and retail versions.

Reply 34 of 48, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

zapbuzz reads my mind 😀
I did slipstream a windows 98 installation the easy method (by just dumping all the files into the win98 directory).
i heard that when you put the files in the win98 dir of the installation, the installation uses those instead of the ones in the cab files - which makes this whole process a LOT easier as long as you run the installation from an HDD and not from cd.
The only 2 problems I have with the vogons approved slipstream files are:
- Can't open the clock settings anymore as it throws out an error regarding the timedate.cpl file
- I can't install rloew's PTCHMEM.ZIP a it states that the files have been modified and there's no backup.

Are people experiencing the same issues?
Can someone provide the rloew patched vxd files so I can throw them into the win98 directory for auto-patching?
I am running more than 1GB of ram, and the mod in the vogons approved package only increases the limit to 1GB max.
Thanks

—- Update —-
I started from scratch and took a deep look into the releases at https://rloewelectronics.com/
and there Even are modded win98 installation cab-files which you put in the win98 directory. I ended up doing this and now Rloew‘s awesome work is forever stored on my windows 98 image, making it super easy and nice to install the OS on a system that already has more than 1GB of ram installed and which has a lege HDD

Reply 35 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheRoss wrote on 2021-06-15, 06:13:
zapbuzz reads my mind :) I did slipstream a windows 98 installation the easy method (by just dumping all the files into the win9 […]
Show full quote

zapbuzz reads my mind 😀
I did slipstream a windows 98 installation the easy method (by just dumping all the files into the win98 directory).
i heard that when you put the files in the win98 dir of the installation, the installation uses those instead of the ones in the cab files - which makes this whole process a LOT easier as long as you run the installation from an HDD and not from cd.
The only 2 problems I have with the vogons approved slipstream files are:
- Can't open the clock settings anymore as it throws out an error regarding the timedate.cpl file
- I can't install rloew's PTCHMEM.ZIP a it states that the files have been modified and there's no backup.

Are people experiencing the same issues?
Can someone provide the rloew patched vxd files so I can throw them into the win98 directory for auto-patching?
I am running more than 1GB of ram, and the mod in the vogons approved package only increases the limit to 1GB max.
Thanks

—- Update —-
I started from scratch and took a deep look into the releases at https://rloewelectronics.com/
and there Even are modded win98 installation cab-files which you put in the win98 directory. I ended up doing this and now Rloew‘s awesome work is forever stored on my windows 98 image, making it super easy and nice to install the OS on a system that already has more than 1GB of ram installed and which has a lege HDD

Great to know! Just so you know this project is largely abandoned. Yeah, I didn't integrate his fixes on purpose because at the time they were paid I believe.

zapbuzz wrote on 2021-06-14, 06:19:

i think the best way to patch 98se and millennium is the batch file example of autopatcher '97 if someone made an updated 98se version with the now R.I.P. R. Loew patches and a version for millennium that would be compatible with oem and retail versions.

Good to know there's a better method to perhaps base my work on. I knew there were better methods out there, including direct cab slipsteraming, but I was trying to make it cross platform.

Nowadays, I just end up using Windows anyway (I used to be a big linux user), and I'm so tired of overcomplicating my builds (see one of my latest threads on bare minimum late dos/9x builds) that I'm not even bothering to install anything aside from DirectX 7 and drivers. This whole project was just me being needlessly excessive, and as another forum user stated, an exercise in futility.

If someone wants to fork it or take it over, be my guest.

Reply 37 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mihai wrote on 2021-12-09, 22:38:

interesting utility, however, what do I need to install on a vanilla windows 10 to get the dotnet command?

The dotnet runtimes here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/2.1
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/d … s-x64-installer

Reply 39 of 48, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rishooty wrote on 2019-09-14, 10:48:
It's done. All the update packs I've made so far are now stored in the public pcloud link here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/s […]
Show full quote

It's done. All the update packs I've made so far are now stored in the public pcloud link here:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZ8V2 … UjgXpSlYFMkzvAy

A direct link to the Windows 98 Vogons Approved Update Pack:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZRJ2 … uOXnOfxSpENdNQk

Final Results:

• 98KRNLUP.EXE (Fixes Stack Corruption)
    98UPDSYS.EXE (Updates Intel CPU Microcode)
    4756US8.EXE (The classic shutdown supplment)
    236926USA8.EXE (Fixes prematurely transmitted packets)
    239696usa8.exe (Fixes hanging after suspend)
    240075up.exe (Fixes usb issues with AMD CPU + VIA USB Controller)
    241052usa8.exe (Fixes issue with password screen)
    249146usa8.exe (Fixes Disabled Sounds with usb devices)
    249635usa8.exe (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb drivers)
    253697USA8.EXE (Fixes OpenHCI Controller issues with fast pcs)
    258680usa8.exe (Fixes hang upon screensaver)
    272621usa8.exe (Fixes Virtual Memory tab showing negative HD free sizes)
    273017USA8.EXE (Fixes Scandisk running on every boot)
    274175usa8.exe (Fixes copy errors when 8 levels deep in a CD/DVD)
    278368usa8.exe (Fixes a memory leak with ATMUNI.SYS)
    281533usa8.exe (Fixes USB Driver Trap 14 error)
    290831usa8.exe (Update 273017USA8)
    291362usa8.exe (Fixes hanging with USER32.DLL + USER.EXE)
    293793USA8.EXE (Fixes Vredir Errors)
    306453usa8.exe (Fixes USB Stop Error)
    aspi_471a2.exe (updated ASPI drivers)
    bhdd31.zip (120gb+ hdd support)
    dst_9xme.exe (Updates timezone daylight savings to 2011)
    iosys98.exe (2GB+ DVD support)
    Q240896.EXE (Fixes OpenGL IPF error)
    Q246817.EXE (Update to the shutdown supplement)
    Q253912.exe (1GB RAM support)
    Q257821.EXE (Fixes winsock time-out error)
    Q269604.EXE (Fixes Directsound Error with DSOUND.DLL)
    Q277628.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous "access denied" error with VFAT.VXD)
    Q310695.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous error with DVD playback)
    Q311561.exe (Fixes potential HDD corruption in MS-DOS mode)
    Q926247.EXE (Fixes SNMP Memory corruption)
    qfe-winse-q245065-en.zip (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb keyboards)
    scanfrag.exe (120gb+ hdd support)

Can you provide a more up to date link?

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.