Topic actions

Reply 40 of 58, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
binarymaster wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike sound font, FM has no "present bank", doesn't it? You're free to create your own waveform, enabling impressive music aka that of Dune of Laser Squad, am I correct?

Yes, you're free to create your own FM sound, but in the range of physical possibilities and specifications of your favourite chip.

Yes, but it's not only the sound chip but also the code that drives it, so playing a MIDI file in a game and another player won't sound the same unless the playing code is exactly the same.

Many games that only load FM parameters to chip and then turn notes on and off tend to sound quite dull, but if the game modifies the FM parameters on the fly as well (like Dune), it can sound awesome (but also takes more CPU horsepower to do this).

Basically, an analogy would be to play Amiga MOD songs with full effects (tremolo, vibrato, slides of volume/pitch, arpeggios) that are done in software, or just use only the features what hardware provides (play a sample at some constant volume and constant pitch).

Reply 41 of 58, by binarymaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, MIDI is just music data transfer and storage standard, while the AdLib chip is a sound generator.

And different player programs controls the chip differently, because there are no strict MIDI to AdLib standards.

by Stas'M

Reply 42 of 58, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
binarymaster wrote:
And now I'm more than happy to tell you - AdPlug replayer implementation for SOP format has been finished! 8) […]
Show full quote

And now I'm more than happy to tell you - AdPlug replayer implementation for SOP format has been finished! 😎

Here is the commit:
https://github.com/adplug/adplug/commit/3e86c … f8c8bbad8bddacc

Also I added SOP format support to MIDIPLEX, so now you can edit and convert these tunes into MIDI format:
https://github.com/stascorp/MIDIPLEX/commit/8 … bd4ac840f0b9329
Binaries are here:
https://github.com/stascorp/MIDIPLEX/releases

Have a nice day! 😉

Cheers BinaryMaster! This is really awesome. I am wondering, could it be possible to create an MIDI to SOP conversion tool? I bet a lot of people would love that. Than you could convert some of your nice MIDI matrices into a format playable by an OPL chip. (Like Duke Nukem 3D music).
Btw I think some one already did that, as some SOP files mention MIDI Conversion and Converted from MIDI...

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 43 of 58, by binarymaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Cheers BinaryMaster! This is really awesome. I am wondering, could it be possible to create an MIDI to SOP conversion tool? I bet a lot of people would love that. Than you could convert some of your nice MIDI matrices into a format playable by an OPL chip. (Like Duke Nukem 3D music).
Btw I think some one already did that, as some SOP files mention MIDI Conversion and Converted from MIDI...

Hello, Stojke!

Yep, I also noticed that some SOP files looks like MIDI conversions. I think it is possible to implement MIDI to SOP conversion in MIDIPLEX, however it would require some manual editing before and after conversion:

1. If some instrument plays two or more notes at the same time, each note should be moved to different channel, since SOP allows only one active voice per track / channel.
2. MIDI drum channel 10 should be splitted into BD/SD/TT/HH/CY rhythm mode channels, so some incompatible drums will be dropped.
3. After conversion you'll need to pick suitable AdLib instruments manually in the Note sequencer.

by Stas'M

Reply 46 of 58, by chilpillwill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

Had fun reading through this stuff about NOTE. Really want to give it a try on my time machine (AWE32 CT2760) but the download link doesn't work anymore and I can't find NOTE anywhere in search engines - this appears to be the best resource for it.

Also, can anyone confirm - does FM through the SPDIF sound much better? (can it be done on a CT2760?)

Love making music on my AWE32 😀

Thanks,

Will

Reply 47 of 58, by binarymaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chilpillwill wrote:

download link doesn't work anymore and I can't find NOTE anywhere in search engines

https://adplug.github.io/library/entry/Note10b2.html

Download this archive. NOTE is inside note_b2.zip.

by Stas'M

Reply 48 of 58, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chilpillwill wrote:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Had fun reading through this stuff about NOTE. Really want to give it a try on my time machine (AWE32 CT2760) but the download link doesn't work anymore and I can't find NOTE anywhere in search engines - this appears to be the best resource for it.

Also, can anyone confirm - does FM through the SPDIF sound much better? (can it be done on a CT2760?)

Love making music on my AWE32 😀

Thanks,

Will

Sorry for this, I will tend the links as soon as possible!
As for SPDIF it depends, do you like the post processing of your sound card (Including noise) or just the clear output from the EMU8000 chip.
For me it sounds great via SPDIF, it even includes reverb and chorus.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 49 of 58, by chilpillwill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
binarymaster wrote:

https://adplug.github.io/library/entry/Note10b2.html

Download this archive. NOTE is inside note_b2.zip.

THANK YOU! I'm looking forward to having a play around with that tonite 😀

Stojke wrote:

Sorry for this, I will tend the links as soon as possible!
As for SPDIF it depends, do you like the post processing of your sound card (Including noise) or just the clear output from the EMU8000 chip.
For me it sounds great via SPDIF, it even includes reverb and chorus.

For nostalgic reasons, I like the post processing of my AWE32 but for recording/exporting etc. it's very noisy for modern standards. Sounds like SPDIF is the way to go, especially if it has the reverb and chorus too 😲

Thanks for the fast responses! I'm a big fan of Adlib Tracker 2, especially for instrument creation but I prefer piano roll for writing music - I think the first DAW I ever used was Cubase, so although I'm used to scrolling lists in trackers these days, my brain seems to breathe a sigh of relief when there is a piano roll available (definitely when it comes to chords).

I'm just happy that there is still an active community of people who love to make music with the OPL chips. I wonder what people growing up with modern computers today would think of the idea of having a dedicated FM synth built into the sound card just to handle music/sfx..? Seems mad when memory is so cheap now, but it was SO COOL back in the day 😎

Will

Reply 50 of 58, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This seems like a very interesting program. I'm gonna have to try it later when I have some time, not too sure if I'll actually make something with it though because I'm very much used to AdLib Tracker's interface. Not much of a piano roll guy 😒

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 52 of 58, by binarymaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
a-hansen wrote:

Hey what's up guys, newcomer here!

Would any of you be able to export this awesome track as MP3 or WAV but without the drums? I'd like to try to remix it here in Ableton.

Thank you!

Hi! Try out MIDIPLEX, it allows to edit SOP: you can just remove all events from specified tracks and save it to another file.

by Stas'M

Reply 53 of 58, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Introduce another SOP player.

Kiss Music Player

developed by Seo Jae Hyung(maxidea). 1996.

This player supports SOP and K1M(never seen but it says developer will release)

usage

up/down arrow : volume ( 0% ~ 100%)
left/right arrow : tempo ( 40% ~ 200%)
Alt+P : file open dialogue
Alt+S : toggle levelmeter(Stereo/Mono)
Alt+X : eXit to DOS

kissp.exe filename : instant play

This one has no BIG Keyboard, Enjoy.

Filename
kissp.rar
File size
40.47 KiB
Downloads
154 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attachments

• kissp.jpg
    Filename
    kissp.jpg
    File size
    163.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ik777 on 2018-02-04, 18:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 58, by Lord Nightmare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:
Note - FM music tracker Korean program for FM Operator Type L music creation - OPL3 Tracker Used in Korean demoscene, has the ab […]
Show full quote

Note - FM music tracker
Korean program for FM Operator Type L music creation - OPL3 Tracker
Used in Korean demoscene, has the ability to use true OP4 instruments and works with IMS, SOP formats

Created by Lee Ho Bum (sopepos / yihobeom) 1995, 1997
Download [Note BETA 2]
Update 01 [fm_player]

Note00_resize.png Note01_resize.png Note02_resize.png Note03_resize.png

All of the links here which used "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54462712/" as part of their url are dead, since dropbox terminated old-style public directory links between march and september 2017.
Can you repost those links and images elsewhere, and update the original post?

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Reply 56 of 58, by ToriHino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I created a SOP replayer for the MSX 8-bit platform as well (using an OPL4 audio chip extension) and it is partialy based on the sources from binarymaster (together with the original player source). See this video, around time stamps 1:32 and 4:32 for some examples (it shows some other OPL2/3 formats being played as well). Note that it needs almost all its CPU power just to be able to play the song 😀

Last edited by ToriHino on 2019-10-11, 20:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 58, by binarymaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ToriHino wrote:

I created a SOP replayer for the MSX 8-bit platform as well (using an OPL4 audio chip extension) andt is partialy based on the sources from binarymaster. See this video, around time stamps 1:32 and 4:32 for some examples (it shows some ther OPL3 formats being played as well). Note that is needs almost all its CPU power just to be able to play the song 😀

Good job! 😊 I hope your RoboPlay multi format player is open source?

by Stas'M