VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this AT full tower case and the space where the PSU goes is GIGANTIC!

As you can see in the photo, under the square hole there are two screws, this holds a little tray on the inside. I assume this is to set the PSU on. The height of both holes is about 2x the height of an ATX PSU. It doesn't seem to fit an AT/ATX PSU.

Does anyone knows what PSU goes into this thing?

CMwd2vg.jpg

Reply 1 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like comon or garden AT to me.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no such thing as an AT/ATX PSU. What you are thinking of are LPX/ATX PSUs, which are the same physical size, and half the size of Baby AT PSUs, which are themselves smaller than original AT PSUs. This case takes either an AT or Baby AT PSU, probably the latter since the hole is square and Baby AT PSUs are cubic in shape.

ETA: Can you show us some pictures of the interior?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's strange all right. I don't see the usual screw holes. Ignore my previous post, I don't know what PSU this takes. Have you asked the seller where he got it?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Looks like comon or garden AT to me.

I agree. However this statement needs a bit more explanation. This thing takes a full-size AT PSU, not the baby AT PSUs more commonly referred to as "AT". It's similar in size to the XT PSU, but unlike the XT it works with a switch on the front of the case instead of on the side at the back.

A pic of one:
PSUP0047.jpg

Reply 7 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right. I see it now. The oval holes are for the screws. Original AT PSU form factor (with the side projection) OR Baby AT (without the projection), not LPX

Image3.jpg
Filename
Image3.jpg
File size
124.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Image4.jpg
Filename
Image4.jpg
File size
142.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(See the little round screw hole for Baby AT bottom right of the large square hole in the top picture. But then the PSU will not rest on the internal platform.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 19, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Full size AT supply. Might be hard to find one with cables long enough for everything, but they're out there for sure.

Making a bracket to fit a more standard supply probably wouldn't be that hard, you might even be able to get away with just drilling some screw holes.

What kind of case is this? Can we get a picture of the interior / front? I'm very interested. Never seen a tower with the AT PSU.

Reply 10 of 19, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey everyone, quick update. I found a full size AT power supply on Recycled Goods (with a dot com) and they were super helpful. They even tested it before sending it out! (Thanks again Dustin)

Anyhow, some more pics. I've installed the PSU and hooked up the 486 board I will be using in this build for a quick test and it all works great. I've also added a pic of the front of the case since someone was asking for that.

Still need to install CDROM and floppy etc.

m8DtSqR.jpg

WgEbgKC.jpg

h8bKtAT.jpg

Reply 11 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there,

That power supply is IBM AT power supply form factor. Also IBM and AT clones has big red toggle switch on right side of PSU. But AT full size clones also uses remote power switch cord fixed to the PSU casing ending in spade connectors to plug into case's front switch but can use with big PSU P shaped casing.

Reason for the space under the overhang of the PSU's is to allow full AT mother board to fit together with PSU installed without increasing both height or and width of the case. IBM AT PSU were primitive and inefficient meant components inside is very massive that takes up large board and smaller board stuffed inside this IBM AT PSU.

Now we have much better efficient PSUs now. 😀

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote:

Hey everyone, quick update. I found a full size AT power supply on Recycled Goods (with a dot com) and they were super helpful. They even tested it before sending it out! (Thanks again Dustin)

Nice ! You must live near one of their outlets to get it that fast.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 19, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:

What brand/model is that PSU in the 3rd photo? Love those old PSUs with fan grills 😊

You probably missed it but, the 2nd photo has the entire PSU label exposed. It's a Senco 220W. 😀

Reply 16 of 19, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AHHH! 🤣 That was the case from my family's first PC! A 386DX/33 from Treasure Chest Computers. I've got the baby AT mini tower and mid tower from that line-up. I'll never forget powering that thing up, seeing the Trident VGA BIOS, and hearing it count 8MB RAM. tik-tik-tik-tik-tik-tik-tik <ESC> tikBZZZZZZZZZT. <5-1/4 floppy grinding noises> <3-1/2 floppy grinding noises> <hard drive rattle> ... BEEP!

Reply 17 of 19, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

I've got the baby AT mini tower and mid tower from that line-up.

I would love to have the mini-tower version of this case. In my opinion easily the best looking AT case out there.

Reply 19 of 19, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:
pan069 wrote:

You probably missed it but, the 2nd photo has the entire PSU label exposed. It's a Senco 220W. 😀

No, I meant the ATX PSU with chrome fan grills from the 3rd top photo.

Ah. Got ya. Its the StarTech 300W:

https://www.startech.com/Computer-Parts/PSUs/ … ply~ATXPOWER300