VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having trouble finding an existing thread on the topic with proposed solutions so I'm opening my own for the 486 gurus. This post is a bit wordy with benchmarks but the issue is quite apparent.

I have a feeling I may need to try buying a new kit of cache sram, but in the mean time i'm curious if I should stick to write-through or write-back. I've seen some people saying to just use write-through, but eh. It's not about usable performance, the machine runs good enough, just my tweaking spirit wanting to maximize it's potential.

My score in topbench drops significantly with write-through (265) compared to write-back (303), which is odd since according to cachechk, writeback is making no difference on my l2 cache, only destroying main memory speed.

System Specs

• Genoa 486VLG-X4 Bios 2c4I9F20 11/1994
    AM5x86 133 ADZ (running as DX4S @ 120mhz - 40 bus)
    Cirrus Logic CL GD-5428 1MB VLB
    16MB 60NS FPM (non parity / 2M X 32 in banks 2 and 4, doesn't seem to want to post if i try banks 1 and 2 per the stason guide, may have bad banks?)
    256k 20ns cache (8x 32K X 8 -- I believe the tag is 16k X 8, will pull it open to check soon)

Cachechk - 486DX2 @ 66mhz
I forget the ram and cache timings

L1 cache is 8KB -- 68.9 MB/s 15.2 ns/byte (200%) (148%) 3.9 clks L2 cache is 256KB -- 46.5 MB/s 22.5 ns/byte (135% […]
Show full quote

L1 cache is 8KB -- 68.9 MB/s 15.2 ns/byte (200%) (148%) 3.9 clks
L2 cache is 256KB -- 46.5 MB/s 22.5 ns/byte (135%) (100%) 5.7 clks
Main memory speed -- 34.4 MB/s 30.4 ns/byte (100%) [read] 7.8 clks
Effective RAM access time (read ) is 121ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
Effective RAM access time (write) is 61ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
"GenuineIntel" 486 DX2 Clocked at 66.7 MHz. Cache ENABLED.

After upgrading to a 5x86 133 (board won't take it so it runs as a DX4-S @ 100mhz or 120mhz at 40 bus, I can't seem to figure out how to get the L1 in write-back either) those results drop to roughly 12-18MB/s with ~250ns read access time depending on slower,faster,fastest options in bios if I enable write-back. If I switch L2 back to write-through, the memory speed returns to normal. Note that benches are done at the faster setting because fastest will fail memtest86+ on both of my ram kits and cause constant crashes.

Cachechk Write-through 5x86 @ 120mhz
Memory settings (bios doesn't provide me with full control it seems)
DRAM Speed: Faster, 0 write WS, 1 Write CAS, write burst and slow refresh enabled
Cache Burst Read: 1T, Cache Write Cycle: 2T

L1 cache is 16KB -- 124.3 MB/s 8.4 ns/byte (335%) (185%) 3.9 clks L2 cache is 256KB -- 67.0 MB/s 15.6 ns/byte (180 […]
Show full quote

L1 cache is 16KB -- 124.3 MB/s 8.4 ns/byte (335%) (185%) 3.9 clks
L2 cache is 256KB -- 67.0 MB/s 15.6 ns/byte (180%) (100%) 7.2 clks
Main memory speed -- 37.1 MB/s 28.3 ns/byte (100%) [read] 13.0 clks
Effective RAM access time (read ) is 113ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
Effective RAM access time (write) is 50ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
"AuthenticAMD" 486 Clocked at 120.2 MHz. Cache ENABLED.

Cachechk Write-back 5x86 @ 120mhz
Same memory and cache bios settings as above bench

L1 cache is 16KB -- 124.3 MB/s 8.4 ns/byte (668%) (185%) 3.9 clks L2 cache is 256KB -- 66.9 MB/s 15.7 ns/byte (359% […]
Show full quote

L1 cache is 16KB -- 124.3 MB/s 8.4 ns/byte (668%) (185%) 3.9 clks
L2 cache is 256KB -- 66.9 MB/s 15.7 ns/byte (359%) (100%) 7.2 clks
Main memory speed -- 18.6 MB/s 56.4 ns/byte (100%) [read] 25.8 clks
Effective RAM access time (read ) is 225ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
Effective RAM access time (write) is 50ns (a RAM bank is 4 bytes wide).
"AuthenticAMD" 486 Clocked at 119.9 MHz. Cache ENABLED.

Speedsys also confirms the issue so it's not just cachechk. I've tried a different kit of FPM as well, same results. I'm willing to buy some fresh cache if that may be the issue, if I do I might as well just bump it to 1024k since it's going to cost me the same as 256 or 512. I'm hesitant however because this may be a board issue or a non-issue made into an issue by benchmarks. 486 gurus enlighten me 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 1 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least on 486s, I don't think there is much of a difference in performance by setting the L2 cache as writeback vs write through. I also remember testing a board and noting that when L2 was set the writeback the main memory speed decreased...though the overall system speed increased by a small %.
It also depends on the board and chipset design. I've heard that a well designed L2 write through cache can out perform writeback. Also, on most boards enabling write back mode will decrease your cacheable RAM area by 50%, so if you have a lot of RAM it's better to set write through.

Now L1 cache is a totally different thing. That is definitely worth enabling if the CPU motherboard and CPU support it. CPU performance advantage is about 10% I believe. Getting that going can be more problematic though. especially on boards made before 1995. I think I heard some of the boards designed to support the writeback mode of early Cyrix 486 CPUs like the 486S don't support writeback implementations of later chips like the 5x86. Also, it can cause major problems with VLB SCSI controllers.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 37, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have noticed the same on some SIS471 motherboards, which happens to be the same chipset as yours. However, I fail to understand the reason why this happens... in some cases, if using WT L1, then WB L2 is faster, but with WB L1 (on CPUs that support it), then WT L2 is faster. Using different sticks of RAM or cache chips does not change anything, so I assume it has to do with the chipset?

Reply 3 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The issue is with the bios.
Correct me if I am wrong but that AMD 5x86 CPU is not supported on that motherboard.
I ran into this same problem.
Play around with the timing settings and find which works best. I used Speedsys program to test the CPU and cache.
Socket-3 PCI motherboards usually support this CPU.
Also I was told the Gigabyte GA-5486-AL bios supports this CPU better.
Or maybe the Gigabyte 486vs bios. For VLB motherboard.

See this posts :
AMD 5x86@160mhz., Media Vision PAS16. ( Win 95 )

You might want to try an AMD 5x86 over drive chip by “trinity works” or “evergreen”.

See my posts:
486 Overdrive CPU's - Intel and AMD ?

Reply 4 of 37, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using a CPU interposer? I don't believe this board has configurable CPU voltage, so be aware that plugging a 5x86 in directly will supply 5V instead of the correct 3.3V (or was it 3.45V?)

I use a Trinityworks 5x86 module in this board, and it works at 133MHz with write-back L1 with the correct dipswitch settings on the module itself. If you don't have an interposer with its own jumpers/switches, it may be possible to enable these settings with the motherboard jumpers. But the settings aren't given in the documentation (there are several jumpers but their function isn't broken down in detail, and the same combinations are listed for different CPUs which one would expect to have differing settings) so it might take some experimentation to figure out how.

I have also found this board to be picky about RAM, it only works with FPM and not with EDO.

As for the reduced memory performance when L2 write-back is enabled, I just assumed it was a poor implementation in this chipset. When data is read from DRAM it is copied into the L2 which causes some old data to be displaced from the L2. The way it should work is that the displaced data is only written back to DRAM if it has actually changed. But SiS 471 must be writing ejected data back to DRAM even when it has not changed, which wastes time in between DRAM reads. But I haven't seen any authoritative documentation to say whether they designed it this way or if there is another reason for this behavior.

Reply 5 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just writing here so it would be easier for me to monitor the topic.

I too have a motherboard (Soyo 25P2) where Write-Back L2 shows lower memory bandwidth than Write-Through. (I have Am486DX4-100 with write-through L1)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 37, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its an issue with missing Dirty tag, which is needed for successfull WB strategy. You can check the availibility with the ctcm tool. If you have no dirty tag, then you can fix it with a BIOS Update or, in case of SiS471, with Hardware Hack. The 471 in general supports dirty tag.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 8 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC-Engineer wrote:

Its an issue with missing Dirty tag, which is needed for successfull WB strategy. You can check the availibility with the ctcm tool. If you have no dirty tag, then you can fix it with a BIOS Update or, in case of SiS471, with Hardware Hack. The 471 in general supports dirty tag.

CTCM? Creative sound blaster PNP management tool?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 10 of 37, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC-Engineer wrote:

Interesting, what you said led me to a post by feipoa from a few years back:

Need help with FIC 486-VIP-IO and AMD 486 120mhz

It seems to have some additional information related to this issue.

Reply 11 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OMG, thank you guys!

The board is Soyo SY-25P or 025P2, both are right. (No separate socket for dirty tag cache)
I had the same problem as described here - WT cache shows over 100MB/s memory bandwidth with speedsys, WB shows a bit over 30MB/s.

So first, the only ctcm 1.5 version worked correctly. newer ones (1.6 and 1.7) after counting something after "cacheable area" lines - 1.6 restarted and 1.7 hanged.
But the 1.5 version worked, and it did show that i have a problem with "Dirty Tag L2" (didn't exist or something)

So next to the modbin. First of all, only older modbin's work with award 4.50 bioses. i found many variants of it, that were meant for newer bioses and didn't support mine.
Next i searched out the sis 471 datasheet: ftp://retronn.de/docs/chipset/SiS%20471.pdf

In there, there is a register 72, bits 2 and 1. Both should be set to 1. For my bios, modbin showed, it was 1 and 0. I changed it to 11. Next, for good measure because of the note, i also changed register 50 bit 3 to 1.

I flashed the bios with eeprom programmer and voila! Both WT and WB show 100+MB/s memory bandwidth and ctcm shows different speeds with average "Miss + Hit", "if clean" and "if dirty" measurements. Before, with WB, all of them had equally bad values. Also it shows that "Dirty Tag L2" is "ok".

A very quick benchmark showed that pc player benchmark went from ~14.7fps (WT previously) to 15.3fps (WB now).

I love the modbin! I had amisetup tool for AMI bioses, but nothing for Award bioses to change register values or anything. Now i do!

Thank you so much for the hints! Hope it helps someone else as well. 😀
Attached the modded bios as well. It's based on 1995 J1 version of bios (latest i'm aware of). I did enable one hidden setting as well, DRAM burst write, which was enabled by default.

EDIT: Did some more benchmarking now with modded bios and between changing only to WT vs WB.
Machine itself has a Am486DX4-100 cpu, 2x32MB FPM ram, S3 805 VLB graphics.

So here's the results: (WT / WB)

3D Benchmark (fps): 64,6 / 67,3
PC Player Benchmark (fps): 14,8 / 15,3
Doom max detauls (elapsed ticks): 2099 / 1900
Topbench (score): 235 / 267
Speedsys memory bandwidth (MB/s): 113,07 / 113,06
Speedsys memory speeds in order on bottom right graph (MB/s): 73-51-43 / 73-51-38
CTCM benchmarks in order (MB/s): 65-31-31-31-31 / 65-35-26-15-13

So in general, nice boost! CTCM measurements are a bit confusing for me, but other benchmarks show a clear improvement.

Okay, thanks again and i will stop hijacking other person's thread. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    25p2-ji-ghz.rar
    File size
    45.85 KiB
    Downloads
    106 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 37, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow didn't expect so many replies. Thanks guys.

Some short responses to above posts:
- The board/bios does not support the 5x86 133 but the chipset does, it's just stuck running as a DX4 in X3 which shouldn't be an issue (i don't think)
- This board has a voltage regulator and accepts DX4 CPUs natively, so I would assume I'm running at 3.3 or 3.45V, it's not user configurable but the board does mostly everything automatically to my behest (re 5V questions)

Re the dirty tag cache, that sounds very interesting. I do see the mentioned section in the manual for my chipset

If the external cache is set to write back mode ( register 50 bit 3 = "1" ) then 1 0 : no Alter bit ( always dirty ) 1 1 : combi […]
Show full quote

If the external cache is set to write back mode ( register 50 bit 3 = "1" )
then
1 0 : no Alter bit ( always dirty )
1 1 : combine 7 tag bits + 1 Alter bit in one SRAM

However, the link PC-Engineer left is taking me to a dead end. Can I bother somebody to post CTCM v.1.5 for me? My searches are, of course, only bringing up Creative's CTCM.

PC-Engineer also mentions a hardware hack to fix this, any documentation? Not sure how I'd go about flipping the bit(s). I don't have an EEPROM burner to modify the bios but could maybe outsource the job. Maybe a bios exists for this board that could bring the 5x86 to life for me as well, since I know the chipset supports it.

!!Feel free to hijack the thread Gigahertz, this is helpful information others will want a fix for at some point!! Also, which version of modbin did you use? this board also has an award 4.50G bios.

Reply 13 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go!

I tried to google any hardware solutions as well, but didn't find anything. If you do, sure share it with us. 😀

FYI, my board's default bios chip had read-only flag set (Or it was a write-once chip), so some time ago, when i wanted to upgrade the bios, i had to order new eeprom chip itself as well. The new eeprom, i can program pretty much as many times as i want. (Sure, it wears out after few thousend times...)

Modbin, i used latest one, that wasn't some kind of modbin6 or modbin version 2.xxx. Here's the link: http://www.lejabeach.com/ECS/Modbin-4.50.82a.zip

Attachments

• Filename
    CTCM.rar
    File size
    34.73 KiB
    Downloads
    144 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 37, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you GigAHerZ! Lets see if this turns up my problem, I expect it will. Will update.

Maybe I should invest in my own burner and some blanks. I wouldn't want to write over the existing one anyway, just in case...

Reply 15 of 37, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
XMM not installed ! CTCM uses Memory from address 00120000 Int15-Memory=15728640 […]
Show full quote

XMM not installed !
CTCM uses Memory from address 00120000
Int15-Memory=15728640

CTCM, translated by Thomas Pabst, copyright ct-Mag. V1.5b/t2
Processor-Timing : i486DX,i487DX,i486DX2,am486DX,am486DX2,am486DX4,am5x86
Processor CPUID : am486DX4/ Typ:00 Fam:04 Mod:08 Stp:04
Clck : 119.8 MHz
internal Bus : 32 Bit between CPU and primary Cache or Memory
FPU : i487-Typ
L1 Cache : 16 KByte,4-way associative
L2 Cache : 256 KByte, direct mapped
Write Strategy L1 : Write Thru
Write Strategy L2 : Write Back
Dirty Tag L2 : n/a

Through Put & Bus Performance: Main Memory from 00120000

Best Time for 16K MOVSD (Cache /Page Hits) : 207 mcs - 79.2 MByte/s
average t. for 16K MOVSD (Miss + Hit) : 386 mcs - 42.4 MByte/s
average t. for 16K MOVSD (if clean) : 999 mcs - 16.4 MByte/s
average t. for 16K MOVSD (if dirty) : 999 mcs - 16.4 MByte/s
Main Memory 16K MOVSD (Cache misses) : 1131 mcs - 14.5 MByte/s

average with 256 KB L2-Cache /DOS (640K) : 522 mcs - 31.4 MByte/s
average with 256 KB L2-Cache /WIN (4M ) : 794 mcs - 20.6 MByte/s

Well, here are my results. So I get Dirty Tag L2 : n/a, is that what happened to you too Megaherz? Also wish I could get the L1 in writeback all on the VLB board.. shouldn't have sold my other UMC board that could have used the 5x86.

Reply 16 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@BeginnerGuy, yes, i had same message for L2 dirty tag.

To get L1 into Write-Back mode, the first thing is you need to have the CPU, that has this capability. As far as i know, it's more related to hardware than configuration or software. Some later 486 CPUs have the L1 in WB, older ones have it in WT.

Reply 17 of 37, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks GigAHerZ. I'm going to see if I can dump the bios and modify it, have to get a friend to burn it for me since I don't have an EEPROM burner on hand. I'm sure that's going to be the fix.

As for L1 mode, I have an AM5x86 133MHZ ADZ model running in there, it for sure supports L1 in WB mode, it just defaults to WT and there's nothing I can do about it since the bios thinks it's a plain old Intel DX4. I know it can be done using pull down resistors (http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/amd5x86.htm) but I don't feel like taking it that far. I seem to have it stable at 50 bus now so I'd say at 150MHz even with write-through this is a stupid fast 486 rig.

edit: False alarm on the 50 bus, she just crashed after a while. jinxed myself there 😜

Reply 18 of 37, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By datasheet, the L1 WriteBack enable/disable should be register 50 bit 4. Maybe you can enable it by modifying the bios on that part. 😉

Last edited by GigAHerZ on 2019-09-27, 05:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 37, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

By datasheet, the WriteBack enable/disable should be register 50 bit 4. Maybe you can enable it by modifying the bios on that part. 😉

Way to think ahead, that's a great Idea! Thanks 😉.. I know this chipset supports writeback so you may be on to something. Now If I can just get the bios to recognize the 5x86.. There must be some kind of microcode going on since my bios uses the same exact jumper settings for many different CPUs (DX2, DX4, POD83). According to my above link the chipset supports the AM5x86 and writeback l1 cache, just needs a proper bios.