VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 140 of 1025, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to give my modern PC a near-end-of-life refresh. I wasn't on planning on it, but the random freezes and lockups with the FX6300 processor are becoming to frequent. It appears to be a widespread problem with this platform.

So shelled out on used s1150 motherboard and an i7 4790 with 32gb ram (could not re-use the ddr3 from the AMD system). Think I will be able to re-use the Noctua NH-U12P cooler and obviously all the other components, so should be fairly painless upgrade hopefully. Then I will have a 5 year old system instead of a 10 year old system 😁

$230 in total which was more than I wanted to spend on this system but if I can get another 5 years out of it and get to the point where ddr5 has been out long enough to be cheap then I will be able to do a clean-slate new-build and retire this aging beast.

Reply 141 of 1025, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISP upgraded my modem (goodbye 250/50, hello Fibre 1Gb 😁).
I had to disassemble my old copper TV/Internet installation... (even my TV get's decoder with Ethernet/WiFi connections only).
8626937316.png

2,4GHz WiFi (Netgear R7800 + Intel AC 9260) :
8627403426.png

5GHz WiFi (Netgear R7800 + Intel AC 9260) :
8627406135.png

157143230295.png

Reply 142 of 1025, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had posted it in the wrong topic, but now I corrected it.

Just received a gift from my dad. He's now a retired programmer, but used his free time to build for me a hand-crafted wood dock/stand for my MacBook Pro. Excellent work. Current docks/stands sold on stores are so damn expensive in Brazil, so we designed ours.

Attachments

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 143 of 1025, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nicely finished but the ergonomics are crap. Your wrists are going to ache using it on a regular basis. I guess any Blue tooth keyboard would be an improvement over the crappy scissor keyboard shipped with those systems though and cost less than $20. They come with a nice holder/protector/case for tablets like Andoids, iPads and such. Cost me $25 for 2. Well worth it.

20191013_134935[1].jpg
Filename
20191013_134935[1].jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 144 of 1025, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ergonomics are perfectly fine! I have both Apple keyboard and trackpad as well as magic mouse. The scissor keyboard is amazingly good. Better than the butterfly one. I am mostly using my computer plugged into my 40” 4K TV over hdmi in clamshell mode anyway, it was designed for that - the stand was a plus in our design and it can also dock the keyboard in when not in use. I’m satisfied, cheaper than the expensive stands like the Twelve South BookArc stand.

End of discussion. 😀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 145 of 1025, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My entire RAID collapsed, again.

EGkOoIoU8AA42cp?format=png&name=900x900

Previously the backplane failed and hosed the volume. This time the controller failed (or better put, the SCSI chip on the controller and not the RAID controller itself) and a bunch of services failed to stop because for some reason the controller and IBM's software didn't want to talk to the rest of the system, so Remote Storage ran and blanked out the database because it saw a monitored volume with nothing in it anymore and for several days I had no audible, visual or message alarms going off. I swapped in my spare controller and found out that even with the latest firmware flashed it would not import the RAID definition due to version conflicts and so far that I can tell the spare RAID controller doesn't want to even rebuild the RAID from scratch because of said weird version problems, so I'm unable to access all of my serverside files (about 15 years of stuff) until I can find another PCI-X RAID controller, build a new RAID5, restore the RAID contents from backup, rollback to the last system backup two days before the failure and then baby the system for a few more hours to make sure that it's not running into errors with the restored datasets.

It's also the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada, so I'm REALLY enjoying having all this on my mind when I'm trying to enjoy an extra day off work.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 146 of 1025, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

The ergonomics are perfectly fine! I have both Apple keyboard and trackpad as well as magic mouse. The scissor keyboard is amazingly good. Better than the butterfly one. I am mostly using my computer plugged into my 40” 4K TV over hdmi in clamshell mode anyway, it was designed for that - the stand was a plus in our design and it can also dock the keyboard in when not in use. I’m satisfied, cheaper than the expensive stands like the Twelve South BookArc stand.

End of discussion. 😀

Hell no https://wccftech.com/macbook-3rd-generation-b … witch-problems/ The MS fabric covered surface/note book stuff is stupid as well.

Reply 147 of 1025, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

My entire RAID collapsed, again.

Previously the backplane failed and hosed the volume. This time the controller failed (or better put, the SCSI chip on the controller and not the RAID controller itself) and a bunch of services failed to stop because for some reason the controller and IBM's software didn't want to talk to the rest of the system, so Remote Storage ran and blanked out the database because it saw a monitored volume with nothing in it anymore and for several days I had no audible, visual or message alarms going off. I swapped in my spare controller and found out that even with the latest firmware flashed it would not import the RAID definition due to version conflicts and so far that I can tell the spare RAID controller doesn't want to even rebuild the RAID from scratch because of said weird version problems, so I'm unable to access all of my serverside files (about 15 years of stuff) until I can find another PCI-X RAID controller, build a new RAID5, restore the RAID contents from backup, rollback to the last system backup two days before the failure and then baby the system for a few more hours to make sure that it's not running into errors with the restored datasets.

It's also the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada, so I'm REALLY enjoying having all this on my mind when I'm trying to enjoy an extra day off work.

Ouch. 😵 If you can get it up and running again, back it up. I'm done with hardware RAID controllers.. had too many failures like this in the past.

I now store all my stuff on a modern server using SnapRAID (3 parity drives), backed up to the cloud with Backblaze. The server just has a bunch of IBM M1015 SAS HBA's. I can accomplish sharing to old machines with FTP.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 148 of 1025, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If IBM had sold a SATA/SAS upgrade for FRU 00N8951 I would of long ago upgraded to modern disks and something like an Adaptec AAR-2610SA. Those 220 Xseries servers are far too well built.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 150 of 1025, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The rebuild time for RAID 5 is long enough to make a second disk failure a very possible, catastrophic risk.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 151 of 1025, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the big deal of having RAID on a home system anyway?

Reply 152 of 1025, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Data integrity when using BTRFS, ZFS, or similar.
2) Avoiding the inconvenience of having to restore a backup.
3) A few smaller disks are less expensive than one huge disk.

Reply 153 of 1025, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

1) Data integrity when using BTRFS, ZFS, or similar.
2) Avoiding the inconvenience of having to restore a backup.
3) A few smaller disks are less expensive than one huge disk.

If the RAID pack craps out?

Reply 154 of 1025, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Less likely than an individual drive failing, all else being equal. Still, RAID doesn't take the place of backups.

Reply 156 of 1025, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:
RAID replacing backups? […]
Show full quote

RAID replacing backups?

giphy.gif

Nope, although RAID should mean fewer failures, so less need for backups.

Reply 158 of 1025, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
RAID replacing backups? […]
Show full quote

RAID replacing backups?

giphy.gif

Nope, although RAID should mean fewer failures, so less need for backups.

What a load of beeeeeeep!

Reply 159 of 1025, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I'm not communicating well here.

Part of the purpose of RAID is to reduce the incidence of data loss and unrecoverable faults. There are plenty of scenarios where RAID doesn't save you, but more reliable storage pools should make those scenarios more rare. So while backups are still important, part of the intention behind RAID is that you won't need them as often.