User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi all

looking for pc case for a new retro build i am doing

cases needs to have at least
-2-3 5.25 drive bays
-1x 3.25 floppy drive bay (3.5 to 5.25 adapter can be used if trouble finding one with a 3.5 bay)
-1-3 internal 3.25 hdd (thinking of triple booting it much later on)
-space for 300mm graphic card
-psu at bottom of case (preferable)
-space for intake fans at front and preferable at bottom aswell
-space for exhaust fans at back and top
-space for tall cpu cooler (eg noctua coolers)
-usb ports on front not a big deal (usb 3.0 not needed) (use a usb 3 to usb 2 cable if needed)
-RGB lighting not needed (never seen what the appeal is)
-good enough airflow (4x 3-pin fan header on mobo but could use splitter cables if needed)

i know it may seem impossible to find case like but at close to as possible

this is prob the closest to it but in case there is better options and ideas

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-TESSERACT-C … rs%2C166&sr=1-3

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-10-02, 18:33. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one my current build is in (only one Amazon seller with high postage) CIT Goblin...
2x 5.25 bay, 1x 3.5 (requires the "wings" bent down from bay above), PSU at bottom.
One front mesh intake fan (included, no more possible), provision for rear 120 and side panel 120/140.
Got a decent size 120mm fan tower cooler in it, and my GTX 1060

Reply 3 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Corsair Carbide Series 200R with added 5.25" to 3.5" floppy adapter might work well. Has 3 - 5.25" front bays, bottom mount PSU and up to 7 case fans (1 back, 2 top, 2 front, 2 side, 1 bottom). Plenty of room for a tall H/S +fan like Intel BXTS15A or similar...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was shocked last year, I didn't realize how common cases without any external bays are. Makes sense for a modern rig I spose but that's no help to us!
The 3.5 drive bays will limit your options, if your not against using a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter you'll more then double your options.
I was after budget case last year my criteria was the 300mm graphics card (or more specifically full size M/B) 2 external bays and front & exhaust fans.
I was impressed with CIT's range but in the end I went for a second hand Antec Three Hundred, well built and common enough to be had cheap on ebay.

Otherwise I like the Corsair Cabridge or Obsidian series. I like simple case design not "gamer" ones, the one you linked does look good.

Reply 5 of 11, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

A Corsair Carbide Series 200R with added 5.25" to 3.5" floppy adapter might work well. Has 3 - 5.25" front bays, bottom mount PSU and up to 7 case fans (1 back, 2 top, 2 front, 2 side, 1 bottom). Plenty of room for a tall H/S +fan like Intel BXTS15A or similar...

i did see that one and is on my shortlist of maybes along with cooler master n300 case, Rosewill Challenger Black (despite led fan lighting) and a possible maybe CiT Venom Mesh (i know the psu is at the top of case and no fans at top - push comes to shove)

the mobo i am using has 5 3-pin fan headers and thought about using fan splitters if needed

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-10-02, 12:25. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
I was shocked last year, I didn't realize how common cases without any external bays are. Makes sense for a modern rig I spose b […]
Show full quote

I was shocked last year, I didn't realize how common cases without any external bays are. Makes sense for a modern rig I spose but that's no help to us!
The 3.5 drive bays will limit your options, if your not against using a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter you'll more then double your options.
I was after budget case last year my criteria was the 300mm graphics card (or more specifically full size M/B) 2 external bays and front & exhaust fans.
I was impressed with CIT's range but in the end I went for a second hand Antec Three Hundred, well built and common enough to be had cheap on ebay.

Otherwise I like the Corsair Cabridge or Obsidian series. I like simple case design not "gamer" ones, the one you linked does look good.

yeah i thought that if it doesnt have 3.5 bay then i get one with 3x 5.25 bays and use 3.5 to 5.25 adapter if needed

"gamer" cases not needed as long as has good airflow etc and i use a corsair obsidian 450d on main windows 10 rig and it is a good case

Reply 8 of 11, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

norrowed it down to these - which would best for this build

Corsair 200R Carbide Series
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-carbi … -usb-30-w-o-psu

Coolermaster N300
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master … ce-case-w-o-psu

Rosewill Challenger Black
https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/p/N82E16811147153
(it says usb 3.0 port but the video says it e-sata and wondering if it is e-sata, can i simply plug that in to a sata 2 port on mobo and work fine) (if it is usb 3.0 port i can get a usb 3 to usb 2 cable adapter)

CiT Venom Mesh
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cit-venom-mes … ASAAEgK3xPD_BwE

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Corsair's main selling point is probably it'll look good paired up to your existing case. It's also the biggest case at 210 x 430 x 497 (WxHxD mm) where the other 3 are all pretty much the same at roughly 190 x 425 x 4xx
It's not that bad but out of your list the Cit is the ugliest IMHO, but at half the price of the next cheapest It's hard to go past.

If it was me I'd go with the coolermaster, seems a nice balance between cost and looks, but cases are really down to personal taste and I wouldn't "settle" for 2nd best otherwise you'll never be happy with the build overall.

The rosewill manual says esata and USB 2.0, wouldn't be surprised if they have a v2 of the case which has USB 3, so maybe they dropped esata at the soem time, otherwise it should be as simple as you say.

Reply 10 of 11, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

corsair carbide cases are flimsy and feel really cheaply made... would not recommend. ever.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif