VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if i insert i ISA Single board computer in a rugular full working PC? some malfunction? who control the ISA bus??? tnks

Reply 2 of 17, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll most probably end up with damage due to massive bus contention that will go on. Neither side will probably booth and both sides will have their bus buffers get hot and probably die 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 17, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're going to either fry the computer, the SBC or both. In either case you'll end up making the SBC or the motherboard release the magic smoke (as goes the private joke)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are not going to fry anything, as long as the SBC uses all ISA pins according to the standard. It will simply not work, as the SBC and the motherboard will conflict, preventing the system from coming up at all.

Reply 5 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

You are not going to fry anything, as long as the SBC uses all ISA pins according to the standard. It will simply not work, as the SBC and the motherboard will conflict, preventing the system from coming up at all.

source.gif

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC it will work if you remove the BIOS chip on the motherboard, so it doesn't initialize anything. That leaves the ISA bus free for the SBC.

I once built a system like this, but that was very long ago and I don't recall details.

Reply 8 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote:

very interesting, but that not means two separate system in the same case.

No. If you really want two separate systems, they can't share the same bus.

Reply 11 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote:

very interesting, but that not means two separate system in the same case.

You can get cases that are meant to house two motherboards.

You can also get backplanes that can handle multiple SBCs.

There were some cards made that were meant to plug into a slot in a regular motherboard and act as a separate computer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 17, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Exactly. I don't know where people get these ideas...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 13 of 17, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get special SBC's that are designed to be put into a fully working system that will (somewhat) act as a completely separate computer, but more like a coprocessor so you can share information between the two systems. Look at IBM ARTIC cards. At work, I use one that is ISA -- it has a 80C186 processor. There is also a PCI version.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 15 of 17, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Powerleap makes fully independent SBCs that occupy ISA slot on MB just for more secure fit besides backplane screw. ISA edge connector on that SBCs has no any signal or power lines. Look for Powerleap PL-Renaissance.