VOGONS

Reply 20 of 51, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote:

The problem is that DSDMA instantly reboots my computer. I've seen other people have the same problem in other threads, in which they have old(er) motherboards!

FM works without DSDMA as it doesn't require ISA DMA.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 51, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the result of my DS-XG PCI configuration utility

LEGACY  AUDIO    : ENABLE
SB PORT ADDRESS : 220
IRQ CHANNEL : INTA#
DMA CHANNEL : DISABLE
FM PORT ADDRESS : 330
MPU PORT ADDRESS : 388
IRQ CHANNEL : INTA#
JOY PORT ADDRESS : ENABLE
IRQ MODE : INTA#
INTA# IRQ : 5
DMA MODE : NOT ASSIGN
D-DMA BASE : 8000
VOLUME
SOUND TEST
EXIT

Autoexec.bat

LOADHIGH C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
LOADHIGH C:\DOS\DOSKEY.COM -I
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((850) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=850
KEYB NO,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
copy C:\DS-XG\DOS4GW.EXE \
chcp 437
C:\DS-XG\SETUPDS.EXE /S
del \DOS4GW.EXE

I then wrote a scriptfile for SMB using what you (kamerat) wrote above for my card and launched it. It said it found the card and set the properties.

I then went and edited the INI file for the ADTRACK2.EXE program and set the base to D060h

This is what it said:

/|dlIb tr/|ck3r ][ coded by subz3r0/Altair
2.3.57 09-10-2019 1:13pm

Reading configuration file ... ok
WARNING: Mouse driver not installed!
Autodetecting OPL3 interface at 260h ... not responding!

Force base address in configuration file ....
EOT

Assuming I've done everything correctly, I guess I'm shit out of luck then?

I am able to get music out of the soundcard using the SETUPDS.EXE program, under "NATIVE SOUND", which I guess loads a WAV file from the disk (that is included) and plays it through the card. I guess my computer is able to talk to the card and is able to input what to do, to it, but other than that...

Edit:

The file it plays is

Playing: YMH16.WAV
(+) Audio --aid=1 (pcm_s16le 2ch 44100Hz)
File tags:
Date: 1997-08-26
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s16
Last edited by mikedebian on 2019-10-03, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you trying to put FM at port 260?

It will work fine at the default. The YMF7x4 cards do not require anything special for FM to work even on newer motherboards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 51, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Why are you trying to put FM at port 260?

It will work fine at the default. The YMF7x4 cards do not require anything special for FM to work even on newer motherboards.

I think I was following Kamerats instructions. I might not have, and might have messed it up. I've never had to do this before. What do you suggest I do? Did I do it wrong?

Edit
ADTRACK sets it at a default 260, even if auto detection is set in the INI file

Reply 24 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so yeah,. you have it remapped to 260h from what you did.

However, if you are just trying to use FM then you shouldn't have to remap anything. It should just work.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 51, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Ok, so yeah,. you have it remapped to 260h from what you did.

However, if you are just trying to use FM then you shouldn't have to remap anything. It should just work.

I just want to make sure we're clear that I'm not trying to configure sound based on a motherboard that is in any way old, or compatible. Just so you know, this is what I am referring to, and it's just an experiment:

PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...

Reply 26 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok... so the native 16-bit sound working is not surprising.

The Sound Blaster emulation may not work at all.

This is the first I have seen where the FM would not work on a newer system with a YMF7x4 setup though. Maybe there is some speed issue... or maybe the PCI bridge just won't work with it.

I do have a family member in the area that recently upgraded to a Ryzen system. I'm not sure of the chipset and also not sure if it has PCI slots or not although I do have a PCIe to PCI adapter that I could try to see if I could get FM working.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 51, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, done a lot of testing, both this card and a SB16

I managed to limit my ram to 32MB using himemx, which then resulted in DSDMA working, however, no change.
I hear the audio pop in and out when DOS starts. Windows is unable to find the cards.
DOS is able to find and configure the SB16, which results in Audio pop (card reset?), but every setup program fails to find the card. Only the game Hocus Pocus is able to find it the general midi on the card, but fails to load after a while.

I guess that's it.

Reply 28 of 51, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I got Sound Blaster digitized sound working on a motherboard with the AMD A75 chipset and I might also solved one of "mikedebian" problems. It looks like the I/O port range for Sound Blaster and Joystick overlaps and I got it working after changing them. I used Duke Nukem 3D to try out the Sound Blaster and MPU part and Adlib Tracker II for FM.

So "mikedebian" should try this to add this to the SMB script for changing the joystick base I/O to address CF00 (register 18, register 14 is the Sound Blaster I/O). I can in no way guarantee that it works, the A75 chipset got native PCI support, while his motherboard are using a bridge.

pci_write16(14, D001)
pci_write16(18, CF01)
/|dlIb tr/|ck3r ][ coded by subz3r0/Altair
2.3.57 09-10-2019 1:13pm

Reading configuration file ... ok
WARNING: Mouse driver not installed!
Autodetecting OPL3 interface at 260h ... not responding!

Force base address in configuration file ....
EOT

It shouldn't try to autodetect when you configured it to use a specific address. The ADLIB port config of your "ADTRACK2.INI" should look something like this:

adlib_port=D060       ; OPL3 interface's base address:
; [0] autodetection
; [1-FFFFh] user definable range

YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 51, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Kamerat

Is this the solution that resolves the issue that the dos initialize tool has (SETUPDS.EXE) when it can't find the sound blaster address?
I have an intel g31 motherboard (Intel DG31PR) with the ich7 southbridge, setupds outputs an error: "can't detect sound blaster at 220" but the fm synth and native 16 bit audio
works fine. i'm assuming the chipset didn't assign the base port ranges to the sound card's pci base address because the card is not connected to the main pci slot, which i can't
change cus the only two pci slots share the same IRQ number and there is no way to reserve the irq numbers in bios because intel make's crappy limited bios settings.

Reply 30 of 51, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-03-10, 04:21:
Hi Kamerat […]
Show full quote

Hi Kamerat

Is this the solution that resolves the issue that the dos initialize tool has (SETUPDS.EXE) when it can't find the sound blaster address?
I have an intel g31 motherboard (Intel DG31PR) with the ich7 southbridge, setupds outputs an error: "can't detect sound blaster at 220" but the fm synth and native 16 bit audio
works fine. i'm assuming the chipset didn't assign the base port ranges to the sound card's pci base address because the card is not connected to the main pci slot, which i can't
change cus the only two pci slots share the same IRQ number and there is no way to reserve the irq numbers in bios because intel make's crappy limited bios settings.

Do you run the card behind a PCIe to PCI bridge?

YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 51, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no the card is in the standard pci slot, but setupds refuses to save & exit because of the can't detect sound blaster address error.
even in windows 98 se, there is no sound blaster sfx aside from the fm synth when playing dos games under windows dos box using the vxd drivers.
when using the wdm drivers, the yamaha legacy sound system has an exlamation mark with a code 10 error. i think the bios may be the culprit.

btw i used both pci slots and the results are the same, the bios allocated irq 7 for both slots.

Reply 32 of 51, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hi Kamerat […]
Show full quote

Hi Kamerat

I think this is a DMA problem and that SETUPDS.EXE falsely reports it as addressing issue. Your chipset should support subtractive decoding which is necessary for ISA I/O over PCI . You should run DSDMA.EXE aften SETUPDS to enable emulation of ISA DMA. Have you had a look at this thread?

YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 51, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2021-03-10, 20:03:
Hi Kamerat […]
Show full quote

Hi Kamerat

I think this is a DMA problem and that SETUPDS.EXE falsely reports it as addressing issue. Your chipset should support subtractive decoding which is necessary for ISA I/O over PCI . You should run DSDMA.EXE aften SETUPDS to enable emulation of ISA DMA. Have you had a look at this thread?

just to be sure, setupds does not output an dma error but an sound blaster address error. here's an image to get a better idea what i'm talking about.

i can't use the SETUPDS /S command because it just opens the main application in order to save the configuration settings, in which i can't save & exit from the error, then for i can't use dsdma.exe if setupds won't initialize properly.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    Filename
    error.jpg
    File size
    81.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 34 of 51, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-03-10, 20:56:
Kamerat wrote on 2021-03-10, 20:03:
Hi Kamerat […]
Show full quote

Hi Kamerat

just to be sure, setupds does not output an dma error but an sound blaster address error. here's an image to get a better idea what i'm talking about.

i can't use the SETUPDS /S command because it just opens the main application in order to save the configuration settings, in which i can't save & exit from the error, then for i can't use dsdma.exe if setupds won't initialize properly.

Okay i found the actual reason why i can't seem to get any pci sound cards with legacy isa i/o requirements for SB emulation to work on my particular motherboard. i found some info regarding an old mfsn forum post that was informational about mid to late lga 775 motherboards without LPC connected to address the isa resources to the ICH7 southbridge mostly from intel & oem motherboards. which i thought was the main culprit but ironically my Intel motherboard does have an Winbond LPC to PCI chip, but it only supports Super I/O devices like PS/2 Serial and dma only for floppy drives meaning my LPC chip is super limited. Which also means my motherboard does not meet the requirements for legacy ISA port addressing towards the pci bus which is why my sound card doesn't work with Sound Blaster Pro emulation. (See my post above this one for reference)

For the legacy ports stuff to work, You need a compatible chipset like intel's I/O Controller HUB (ICH Series chipset) or VIA VT8233 or later with a combined LPC to PCI bridge chipset with legacy ISA resources support! a.k.a ISA port mapping and DMA Support, Because without these; you will find similar issues like i or others experienced. So just having a compatible southbridge that support subtractive decoding is not enough!... unless it's like the earlier VIA/SiS chipsets with the LPC or ISA integrated in the chipset.

So i now switched to a gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l motherboard and my yamaha ds-xg works fine with complete & fully functional Sound blaster emulation in both real mode DOS via TSR and Win9x. So for those who want to experience an easy compatible setup for retro dos support on modern lga775 chipsets from the get go, I highly suggest to avoid all intel oem motherboards made after the 865G series as those have crappy LPC to PCI bridges with no legacy support which can't support the ICH chipset's subtractive decoding I/O to PCI. Just stick to a named branded manufacturer as those have fully feature sets to get everything needed to work.

Also an other thing to note is that later lga775 intel motherboards are usually crappy and are usually low quality + have severe BIOS limitations.

Last edited by Stainlesscat on 2021-03-14, 09:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 51, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for info, one again if someone could make some simple testing utility, to check if MB has all needed thing, it would be great time saver..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 36 of 51, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-03-14, 09:33:

Okay i found the actual reason why i can't seem to get any pci sound cards with legacy isa i/o requirements for SB emulation to work on my particular motherboard. i found some info regarding an old mfsn forum post that was informational about mid to late lga 775 motherboards without LPC connected to address the isa resources to the ICH7 southbridge mostly from intel & oem motherboards. which i thought was the main culprit but ironically my Intel motherboard does have an Winbond LPC to PCI chip, but it only supports Super I/O devices like PS/2 Serial and dma only for floppy drives meaning my LPC chip is super limited. Which also means my motherboard does not meet the requirements for legacy ISA port addressing towards the pci bus which is why my sound card doesn't work with Sound Blaster Pro emulation. (See my post above this one for reference)

Here's a perhaps crazy idea: could DMA channel 2 be accessed through the floppy interface on such motherboards? I know it would still require patching games to support Sound Blaster on DMA channel 2, but that would be a trivial patch.

Reply 37 of 51, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most motherboards come with a SuperIO chip connected to LPC, mainly for PS/2, COM or maybe LPT ports. That chip has little use outside its intended purposes. Today SuperIO is only relevant for PS/2 ports and maybe hardware monitoring (temperature, voltages, fan speed, etc.).

Motherboards using LPC-to-ISA (such as RUBY-9719VG2AR) to provide ISA slots can make use of DMA, but one needs to configure the chipset to correctly route necessary I/O ranges to the bridge to make the device accessible. This, however, is not going to be helpful for PCI devices.

Given PCI-to-ISA bridges don't have issues with I/O ranges compared to LPC-to-ISA ones, and that industrial use cases usually don't have extensive use of DMA, ISA motherboards using PCI-to-ISA bridges are more common. LPC-to-ISA bridges can use DMA on chipsets up to Intel 9-series. According to Tiido, DMA-related pins were removed from the LPC bridge on 10-series and onwards such as H110 (EDIT: It appears this was for the transition to the new eSPI).

For the legacy ports stuff to work, You need a compatible chipset like intel's I/O Controller HUB (ICH Series chipset) or VIA VT8233 or later with a combined LPC to PCI bridge chipset with legacy ISA resources support! a.k.a ISA port mapping and DMA Support, Because without these; you will find similar issues like i or others experienced. So just having a compatible southbridge that support subtractive decoding is not enough!... unless it's like the earlier VIA/SiS chipsets with the LPC or ISA integrated in the chipset.

DDMA-capable southbridges like VT82C686B can make PCI sound cards work with little efforts.

PC-PCI is a different story as it requires physical connections which I'm yet to find any on modern motherboards using chipsets capable of such. For ISA motherboards using ICH5 or earlier, these wires were used to provide DMA-capable ISA slots. I think PC-PCI might be able to provide better legacy compatibility than DDMA, since most of the operations are being performed directly over physical wires.

On modern chipsets these capabilities are gone so it pretty much depends on whether the sound card's own DMA technology can work with a given chipset. VIA/SiS chipsets might be the most cooperative ones in this aspect.

So i now switched to a gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l motherboard and my yamaha ds-xg works fine with complete & fully functional Sound blaster emulation in both real mode DOS via TSR and Win9x. So for those who want to experience an easy compatible setup for retro dos support on modern lga775 chipsets from the get go, I highly suggest to avoid all intel oem motherboards made after the 865G series as those have crappy LPC to PCI bridges with no legacy support which can't support the ICH chipset's subtractive decoding I/O to PCI. Just stick to a named branded manufacturer as those have fully feature sets to get everything needed to work.

Intel ICH only supported PC-PCI up to ICH5. It cannot be used directly, unless the board is generous enough to have the necessary pins accessible (which I've never seen one) so you can connect your sound card to it.

Intel ICH never supported DDMA. I don't know much about LPC-to-PCI bridges, but I don't think LPC is going to be of any use for PCI devices to access legacy DMA.

Also an other thing to note is that later lga775 intel motherboards are usually crappy and are usually low quality + have severe BIOS limitations.

If you're talking about industrial LGA775 motherboards, yes, these boards' BIOS usually don't provide anything extra, as industrial use cases are more conservative and favor stability and reliability over anything else.

On the other hand, consumer motherboards have a lot of interesting features, and actually some LGA775 CPU-motherboard combinations can overclock very well, from what I've read before.

Reply 38 of 51, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2021-03-24, 02:39:
Most motherboards come with a SuperIO chip connected to LPC, mainly for PS/2, COM or maybe LPT ports. That chip has little use o […]
Show full quote

Most motherboards come with a SuperIO chip connected to LPC, mainly for PS/2, COM or maybe LPT ports. That chip has little use outside its intended purposes. Today SuperIO is only relevant for PS/2 ports and maybe hardware monitoring (temperature, voltages, fan speed, etc.).

Motherboards using LPC-to-ISA (such as RUBY-9719VG2AR) to provide ISA slots can make use of DMA, but one needs to configure the chipset to correctly route necessary I/O ranges to the bridge to make the device accessible. This, however, is not going to be helpful for PCI devices.

Given PCI-to-ISA bridges don't have issues with I/O ranges compared to LPC-to-ISA ones, and that industrial use cases usually don't have extensive use of DMA, ISA motherboards using PCI-to-ISA bridges are more common. LPC-to-ISA bridges can use DMA on chipsets up to Intel 9-series. According to Tiido, DMA-related pins were removed from the LPC bridge on 10-series and onwards such as H110 (EDIT: It appears this was for the transition to the new eSPI).

DDMA-capable southbridges like VT82C686B can make PCI sound cards work with little efforts.

PC-PCI is a different story as it requires physical connections which I'm yet to find any on modern motherboards using chipsets capable of such. For ISA motherboards using ICH5 or earlier, these wires were used to provide DMA-capable ISA slots. I think PC-PCI might be able to provide better legacy compatibility than DDMA, since most of the operations are being performed directly over physical wires.

On modern chipsets these capabilities are gone so it pretty much depends on whether the sound card's own DMA technology can work with a given chipset. VIA/SiS chipsets might be the most cooperative ones in this aspect.

Intel ICH only supported PC-PCI up to ICH5. It cannot be used directly, unless the board is generous enough to have the necessary pins accessible (which I've never seen one) so you can connect your sound card to it.

Intel ICH never supported DDMA. I don't know much about LPC-to-PCI bridges, but I don't think LPC is going to be of any use for PCI devices to access legacy DMA.

If you're talking about industrial LGA775 motherboards, yes, these boards' BIOS usually don't provide anything extra, as industrial use cases are more conservative and favor stability and reliability over anything else.

On the other hand, consumer motherboards have a lot of interesting features, and actually some LGA775 CPU-motherboard combinations can overclock very well, from what I've read before.

My presented topic was about the presence of compatible LPC to PCI bridges to get Sound Blaster ISA resources (ISA I/O port resources not DMA!) in order to get working emulation of sound blaster ports to work because ICH7 and later only support ISA style port resources with legacy ports decoding through PCI with conjunction by a compatible LPC bridge connected to ICH chipset, The chipsets cannot handle ISA resources alone which is why all of them have an LPC Bus present with an LPC bridge connected. I am not referring to chipset exclusive features support like D-DMA or PC-PCI! as others stated already that ICH5 was bottom of the road... D-DMA is an ISA DMA resource exclusive to certain chipsets that supported it and i'm well aware Intel's I/O Controller Hub never supported this.

And Just if there is confusion about what i'm talking about let me be clear... I'm only referencing chipsets like ICH7 through 10 as those chipsets do have Legacy ISA through PCI resources but not ISA DMA resources (ISA I/O ports only). And again i'm not refering to exclusive support like PC-PCI (SB-LINK). Also note LPC to ISA bridges are only important actual ISA devices which my topic was not about. Mines was about LPC to PCI chipsets which does give ISA resources (Again no DMA) through PCI which is needed for SOUND BLASTER PORT RANGE FOR SOUND BLASTER EMULATION!

The whole reason i wrote my previous posts because i found out that sound cards that use Sound Blaster TSR driver emulation can still not work without the previously aforementioned requirements.

Reply 39 of 51, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mid to late lga 775 motherboards without LPC connected to address the isa resources to the ICH7 southbridge mostly from intel & oem motherboards. which i thought was the main culprit but ironically my Intel motherboard does have an Winbond LPC to PCI chip, but it only supports Super I/O devices like PS/2 Serial and dma only for floppy drives meaning my LPC chip is super limited.

Interesting, what chips exactly did have your intel MB? I though that LPC to PCI bridge is integral part of every ICH but I never tried with ICH8-10 that was common on i965 MBs. I only had ICH7. Even my MB has much newer PCH P67 that still have LPC to PCI bridge and DSDMA is working, even on newer X79 chipset so I wonder it doesn't work on ICH8-10. Maybe the LPC to PCI bridge in ICH can be configured to be disabled and then alternative superIO is used. It's configured by BIOS so maybe it would be possible to reenable it and configure properly after boot. But I didn't studied differences between ICH7 and newer if it's true...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA