VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30701 of 52377, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depending on what they go to, it might be too timing sensitive to use bodge wires or similar methods. I'd definitely ask the seller if they knew about it before hand and potentially contact the shipping company for a refund.

Reply 30702 of 52377, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Depending on what they go to, it might be too timing sensitive to use bodge wires or similar methods. I'd definitely ask the seller if they knew about it before hand and potentially contact the shipping company for a refund.

He replied he 'doesn't have knowledge of electronic circuits' so he couldn't notice the damage (but at the same time he didn't posted pic of the card's backside in the auction, so It wasn't possible for buyers to notice the damage as well). He also stated he was selling the card as broken because he couldn't test it (lack of a cable and computer to test it) - which is true, but no word about physical damage and auction parameters stated that the item is 'used' instead of 'damaged'. Package arrived intact and he packed the item quite well (ESD safe bag, bubble wrap, good box). Well, I'm sending it back as he agreed to return the money... Well, I guess I will never learn no to buy untested items even if the prices is good (I payed around 18 USD including shipping).

Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-10-11, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30703 of 52377, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see...

Not to beat a dead horse, but you don't have to know anything about electronics to notice something is physically damaged. It's obviously not designed to have gouge marks in the backside.

He should have at least posted a picture of the back of the card.

Sad, it'll probably go straight in the trash as soon as he gets in back.

Reply 30704 of 52377, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
I see... […]
Show full quote

I see...

Not to beat a dead horse, but you don't have to know anything about electronics to notice something is physically damaged. It's obviously not designed to have gouge marks in the backside.

He should have at least posted a picture of the back of the card.

Sad, it'll probably go straight in the trash as soon as he gets in back.

Well, I guess he will try to sell it without the starting price (ie. best offer auction) - this time posting correct information. I guess he can still make some money out of it (it's not something I would buy, but there are people who will use it to repair other cards).

BTW: I find it curious your nick is FAMICOMASTER yet you are located in the USA which had NES instead of FAMICOM - is there some following to FAMICOMs and related stuff in the USA?

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30705 of 52377, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Well, while that might be true, the picture HanJammer posted is extremely magnified. If you own such a Voodoo 1 card, you can imagine how tiny the traces and those two damaged spots are. You'll probably not notice that damage when just looking at the card for setting it up for auction. As long as it was sold "as is" and not as "tested and working", there's no need to rant about the seller.

Reply 30706 of 52377, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Well, while that might be true, the picture HanJammer posted is extremely magnified. If you own such a Voodoo 1 card, you can imagine how tiny the traces and those two damaged spots are. You'll probably not notice that damage when just looking at the card for setting it up for auction. As long as it was sold "as is" and not as "tested and working", there's no need to rant about the seller.

It's quite visible on normal picture as well... And it was very clearly visible having it in hand - I noticed it immediately when I turned the card back.
I agree there is no need to rant about the seller - he agreed for a refund once he receives the card back.
On the other hand I sell some stuff as well (as you can see from my footer) and (although I test everything) - every once in a while some issues like bent pins I havn't noticed pop up... Yet I never reply "I don't know a thing about electronic circuits" - rather that I just didn't noticed (which is true) - I guess it's seller's responsibility to check everything unless detailed pictures are posted...

Attachments

• IMG_20191011_135709.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191011_135709.jpg
    File size
    932.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-10-11, 14:58. Edited 2 times in total.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30707 of 52377, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For someone with no knowledge, these spots don't look much different to the bigger soldering spots around. And at original size (that is, picture zoomed to the size of the card, not looked at 100%), these spots are tiny, not even 1mm.

Reply 30708 of 52377, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

For someone with no knowledge, these spots don't look much different to the bigger soldering spots around. And at original size (that is, picture zoomed to the size of the card, not looked at 100%), these spots are tiny, not even 1mm.

Yes. They are. But they are quite deep and stand out from the rest of the card once you hold it in hand (and my vision is far from perfect even when I wear glasses).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30709 of 52377, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

Well, I guess he will try to sell it without the starting price (ie. best offer auction) - this time posting correct information. I guess he can still make some money out of it (it's not something I would buy, but there are people who will use it to repair other cards).

BTW: I find it curious your nick is FAMICOMASTER yet you are located in the USA which had NES instead of FAMICOM - is there some following to FAMICOMs and related stuff in the USA?

Maybe. Hopefully he will relist it properly and someone with the equipment and expertise to repair it will get what they're looking for instead.

Ehhh, I'm not even particularly a fan of the Famicom / NES. It's an old, old username, and I tend to keep it around mainly for other people. A very, very long time ago, I got a box containing several (and I mean 10-15) Famicoms and Super Famicoms at a yard sale for extremely cheap. Only 2-3 actually worked, I tore a couple down and parted some out, got a few more working, and sold them all. I have one Famicom, one disk system, and one SFC laying around. The FDS needs a new drive belt and probably a head cleaning but it should work.

They're all but useless to me. I don't particularly like any of the games released on NES, SNES, Famicom, Super Famicom, Disk System, whatever. I've always been more of an Atari / Sega guy when it comes to consoles, but I really just like PCs to be honest.

The name came from the "Holy crap I have a lot of these," at which point I was promptly nicknamed "The Master of Famicoms" and shortened to "Famicomaster." I haven't touched anything with a cartridge slot in probably 6 years now, but I've just kept it to have a consistent name across all my platforms, if that makes any sense.

Reply 30710 of 52377, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Maybe. Hopefully he will relist it properly and someone with the equipment and expertise to repair it will get what they're looking for instead.

(...)
The name came from the "Holy crap I have a lot of these," at which point I was promptly nicknamed "The Master of Famicoms" and shortened to "Famicomaster." I haven't touched anything with a cartridge slot in probably 6 years now, but I've just kept it to have a consistent name across all my platforms, if that makes any sense.

That's actually a cool story.
I had a Famicom (or rather it's clone called Pegasus MT-777DX which was extremally popular in Poland in the 90s). I still like some of the games I played on it (SMB, SMB2, SMB3, Tiny Toon Adventures, Codemasters games from the "Golden 5" card sold by Camerica). These things got pretty pricey these days...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30711 of 52377, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster 3D (Cirrus Logic CL-GD5464 Laguna3D, 4MB RDRAM, PCI)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    319.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    337.48 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30713 of 52377, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Not really today, but almost. 😉

IMG_20191011_184039873.jpg

Roland MT-300s. What a nice unit. It combines almost every feature a MIDI device can have.

I have one of these I got a few years ago. Pretty sweet unit if I do say so myself.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30714 of 52377, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Media Concept 16 isa sound card boxed - not finding ANY information about this soundcard on the web.. only their older 8-bit card - seller's pics:

box front.jpg
Filename
box front.jpg
File size
393.66 KiB
Views
File license
box_back.jpg
Filename
box_back.jpg
File size
458.57 KiB
Views
File license
card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
369.52 KiB
Views
File license
bundle.jpg
Filename
bundle.jpg
File size
238.81 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30715 of 52377, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

I have one of these I got a few years ago. Pretty sweet unit if I do say so myself.

It's also compatible to XG. But unlike the SC-88 Pro, which already had unofficial XG mode, the MT-300s does it right. I could not hear any wrong sound or missing XG effect in my XG test files. 😀

Reply 30716 of 52377, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gathering components for my 286 build: I got this power supply yesterday.

Also the seller gave me this motherload of IDE cables. I think I have enough IDE cables now for my lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_8594.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8594.JPG
    File size
    453.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8596.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8596.JPG
    File size
    482.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8593.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8593.jpg
    File size
    559.55 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30717 of 52377, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this awesome CD-ROM:

mononoke cd 1.jpg
Filename
mononoke cd 1.jpg
File size
69.31 KiB
Views
File license

MIDI files from my favourite Ghibli movie. There being a volume 1 implies there is a volume 2, of course.

Reply 30718 of 52377, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not bought today, but received since last I did a update.

Been buying mostly big box games, but also some hardware:

3dfx.jpg
From left to right: Voodoomania 2 12MB, STB V2 1000 12MB, OEM V3 2000 16MB PCI, STB V3 2000 16MB AGP, Diamond V2 8MB, Diamond V1 4MB, Creative CT6670 V2 12MB SLI pair.

IMG-7800.jpg

SLI in action

ASUS-V6800-DDR.jpg
ASUS V6800 Geforce 256 DDR 32MB (Seller photo)

ASUS-V7700-TIvx.jpg
ASUS V7700 TIVX Geforce 2 TI 64MB lower core clock speed, replacement for my first with artifacts (seller photo)

IMG-7853.jpg

Matrox Mystrique 2 MB + 2 MB expansion, unfortunately no box, but software is new.

IMG-E6017.jpg

Assorted ASUS manuals and driver CD's included (not in the photo)

IMG-7540.jpg

Creative Geforce 3 Titanium 500 64 MB

IMG-7542.jpg

MSI TNT2 PRO 32MB

IMG-8027.jpg

Terratec EWS88MT complete in box (I have no idea about professional sound cards)

IMG-E8021.jpg

Hercules 3D prophet Kyro 2 4500 32 MB AGP

Kyro-2.jpg

Hercules 3D prophet Kyro 2 4000 XT 64 MB PCI (Seller photo) (excluding the card, but in the process of sourcing one)

IMG-8071.jpg
IMG-8064.jpg

Hercules Prophetview 720 1024x768 4:3 15" LCD monitor. Finally I have something period correct to use, instead of modern LED 16:9 monitors.

IMG-8045.jpg

Hercules 3D Prophet 9600 SE 128MB AGP

8500.jpg

Hercules 3D Prophet 8500DV 64MB AGP

IMG-8068.jpg
IMG-7938-2.jpg

Soundblaster 16 Basic complete package (excluding the sound card itself ): need to source one)

IMG-7702.jpg

Soltek Geforce 4 MX 440 64 MB AGP to go along with my silver PCB soltek socket 478 mainboard´

IMG-8066.jpg

ASUS V3000 RIVA128ZX 4MB AGP

The hunt continues.. have a nice day

Last edited by Skanque on 2019-10-12, 10:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30719 of 52377, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matrox Mystrique 2 MB + 2 MB expansion, unfortunately no box, but software is new.

Nice, I own exactly that card as well (2 MB + 2 MB expansion) and the software, but also no box. Your copy of Mechwarrior 2 however seems incomplete, as it should come in a Jewel Case with inlays, not loose.