VOGONS

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope this is the right place to post this ..

Been trying to build my 90s gaming PC for ..to long. My curent case is to small so i found another which has fron USB ports, problem is my motherboard has no USB headers at all not one.
So does anyone know is they made a PCI add in card that gave you internal USB headers ?
Everywhere I look its for rear IO usb ports or internal USB 3.0 headers but not USB 1-2.0 ... anyone know if they exist or where I can get them would be much apreciated...if not then I have to look into loosing my rear USB ports to covert it into an internal header and have cables all over the place.

Reply 2 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote:

Look on eBay, I found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323901933544 and I suspect there will be others

I spent an hour in Ebay and I never found a PCI card that had an internal header like that ... Or maybe I was typing in the wrong thing to search for 😖

Reply 3 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can easily adapt an internal type A USB port to a front panel with cheap adapters.

There are NEC USB cards that are cheap and work really well with windows 98 at full 2.0 speeds.

Reply 4 of 8, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this on Amazon for $15 USD, it has an internal 2-port header: StarTech.com 7 Port PCI USB Card Adapter - PCI to USB 2.0 Controller Adapter (PCIUSB7)

works great - actually you just reminded me that I need another one since I left that one in a Dell Pentium III workstation that I picked up a while ago.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 5 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this could help:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-40cm-USB-2-0-Typ … le/113430316684

that startech card is probably the more sensible solution though.

another card with internal header: Exsys EX-1072

Reply 6 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have been looking around and iv noticed 1-2 PCI card that have a 10 pin connection on them.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-USB-2-0-card-2 … 353.m1438.l2649
I thought USB connections were 4 - 9 pins .. if it is a 10pin connection how are you suposed to connect a USB to it if the 10th pin is normall coverd up.

Reply 8 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You bend it out of the way haha. Thin-nosed pliers will do the trick. I had to do exactly that with one of my cards, an Acer M5271COMBO (not all of them have 10 pins, presumably just the early revisions).

The M5271COMBO is nice because it has two internal headers supporting four ports, however it has a glitch I never was able to resolve, in that it causes the computer to reboot instead of shutting down. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is this too much voodoo?