Topic actions

Reply 21 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
Almoststew1990 wrote:

but IMO it is most useful for the few windows games that are speed sensitive. Some of them need a lower clocked pentium 3 or pentium 2 to run reliably (the original lego land is best on approximately a pentium 133 for example). Especially if you are using Voodoo cards.

i already have penitum mmx 200mhz pc with windows 95/dos 6.22/windows 3.11 my first vintage pc build (Win 95) - RETIRED

games like that maybe work better on there than this future build

Reply 22 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Phil uploaded an interesting video on this topic today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_TpsS3KNF8

gave it a watch and that is more in line what i looking for but mobo caps plague is a bit worrying and maybe try and find a mobo that is later and pass the "plague" era and maybe prefer a mobo that is longer as i never had much luck with smaller atx boards with airflow and heat

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-10-19, 20:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 67, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think Asrock 775Dual-880pro is a good motherboard and let you choose a mono core processor like Pentium 4 or later.
It's sound card it compatible with Windows 98 and if you like you can add a better sound card.
This motherboard fits AGP and PCI express card (like ATI Radeon x800).
You have EIDE (ATA) and built-in first generation SATA (ide compatible or RAID). So you can use a fast 32 GB SSD for Windows 98 and an old IDE but high quality CD/DVD burner.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 24 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrgreen wrote:
I think Asrock 775Dual-880pro is a good motherboard and let you choose a mono core processor like Pentium 4 or later. It's sound […]
Show full quote

I think Asrock 775Dual-880pro is a good motherboard and let you choose a mono core processor like Pentium 4 or later.
It's sound card it compatible with Windows 98 and if you like you can add a better sound card.
This motherboard fits AGP and PCI express card (like ATI Radeon x800).
You have EIDE (ATA) and built-in first generation SATA (ide compatible or RAID). So you can use a fast 32 GB SSD for Windows 98 and an old IDE but high quality CD/DVD burner.

yeah win98 doesn't what to do with more than one core or ht if am guessing right and i am not worry about ssd's as i have a few old ide hdd laying around that still works fines no problem but if a possibly for the future, if i change my mind 😀

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-10-23, 10:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 67, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't let the cap plague scare you off 478.
I've 2 that do have a few swollen caps but still run fine. (I don't care enough to recap one and the other I may do at some point, neither are used often)
I also have an identical PC that's fine and most importantly the motherboard I actually paid money for is also ok. Just make sure to check photo's before purchase.

But if your moving upto 775 this post will be of interest, the CPU compatibility isn't much concernt ot you, as you correctly said, any of the "fancy CPU's with HT or whatever" wont get used in Win98 anyway.
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots

Reply 26 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
I wouldn't let the cap plague scare you off 478. I've 2 that do have a few swollen caps but still run fine. (I don't care enough […]
Show full quote

I wouldn't let the cap plague scare you off 478.
I've 2 that do have a few swollen caps but still run fine. (I don't care enough to recap one and the other I may do at some point, neither are used often)
I also have an identical PC that's fine and most importantly the motherboard I actually paid money for is also ok. Just make sure to check photo's before purchase.

But if your moving upto 775 this post will be of interest, the CPU compatibility isn't much concernt ot you, as you correctly said, any of the "fancy CPU's with HT or whatever" wont get used in Win98 anyway.
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots

ok cause the bulid/project for my windows xp/vista build is a 775 and currently working on it now, so maybe thinking of keeping it before that so it closer to very late p3/early p4 era (late 90s/early 2000s)

Reply 27 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello everyone

would this motherboard fit the bill of what i am looking for this build

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-GA-8TX-C- … J8AAOSwpvZaMmXr

might of found p4 cpu clocked at 1.3/1.4 ghz and wonder if a cheap/stock cooler will keep it cool fine

Reply 30 of 67, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RAMBUS, or RDRAM was mentioned before.
It can cost more than DDR1, or a DDR1 + PGA 478.
IIRC : Needs a termination on free slots to work (if you are not using all slots available).

Willamette is no go because it's hot and Northwood can do everything it can, better.
Reducing CPU performance by default isn't smart.
If you for some reason need Pentium 3 performance, buy Pentium 3.
There can't be a power issues on newer PSUs with Pentium 3s, because they are not Athlon XPs from Socket A.

I suggests going with something simple like P3 or PGA 478 at first.
Switch to LGA 775 if you need additional CPU power.
Also you can't have it both ways, you either have compatibility with everything, or maximum performance for everything. Compromise should be make based on exact games you will play (go for compatibility option if few games have quirks with newer platforms or for max. perf. if you don't plan to play in such games).

157143230295.png

Reply 31 of 67, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding Sound: You can just use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Terratec DMX XFire 1024; you get both A3D (1.0) and EAX (2.0) as well as a decent software wavetable and much better sound quality than either the Aureal or Creative cards. In the past I used to go with either an Aureal 1/2 or a Live/Audigy, but these days I just swear by the TBSC or TDMX1024.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 67, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Actual win98 machine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx.
I wil upgrade for a 9600 or fx5500 for dual boot xp and Nglide.
I still hunting for a celeron 420 mobo compatible. Because:
-Has agp support (VIA chipset by the time). Speed wise is just a northwood non-HT cpu.
-TDP is lower than P4 Celeron, even the early lga775 ones.
-The TDP is only 37w, the same of p3 copermines cpus. Also great underclock potential
Also exist very few win 98 speed sensitive games.
In my experience was Dracula The Resurrection
The first one run too fast on my Sempron 2.8ghz (am3) manchine witn winxp. The second game runs normal.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 33 of 67, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robhalfordfan wrote:
hello everyone […]
Show full quote

hello everyone

might of found p4 cpu clocked at 1.3/1.4 ghz and wonder if a cheap/stock cooler will keep it cool fine

This mobo is from the plague caps era. Even new check out the caps.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 34 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

RAMBUS, or RDRAM was mentioned before.
It can cost more than DDR1, or a DDR1 + PGA 478.
IIRC : Needs a termination on free slots to work (if you are not using all slots available).

i didn't know that, so more hassle than it worth

agent_x007 wrote:
Willamette is no go because it's hot and Northwood can do everything it can, better. Reducing CPU performance by default isn't s […]
Show full quote

Willamette is no go because it's hot and Northwood can do everything it can, better.
Reducing CPU performance by default isn't smart.
If you for some reason need Pentium 3 performance, buy Pentium 3.
There can't be a power issues on newer PSUs with Pentium 3s, because they are not Athlon XPs from Socket A.

what do you mean by cant be a power issues on newer PSUs as i thought anything before p4 uses the 5v rail and doesn't have 4-pin 12v connecter

agent_x007 wrote:

I suggests going with something simple like P3 or PGA 478 at first.
Switch to LGA 775 if you need additional CPU power.
Also you can't have it both ways, you either have compatibility with everything, or maximum performance for everything. Compromise should be make based on exact games you will play (go for compatibility option if few games have quirks with newer platforms or for max. perf. if you don't plan to play in such games).

i already have lga 775 (for my windows xp/vista bulid) and in progress of it and unfortunately it doesn't support windows 98, earliest is windows xp, which is why i wanna go for sightly earlier than that and i would like in between compatibility and performance but learning more into compatibility

Reply 35 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MKT_Gundam wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:
hello everyone […]
Show full quote

hello everyone

This mobo is from the plague caps era. Even new check out the caps.

thank you, i wasn't sure if that was the case

Reply 36 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MKT_Gundam wrote:
My Actual win98 machine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx. I wil upgrade for a 9600 or fx5500 for dual […]
Show full quote

My Actual win98 machine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx.
-Has agp support (VIA chipset by the time). Speed wise is just a northwood non-HT cpu.
-The TDP is only 37w, the same of p3 copermines cpus. Also great underclock potential
The first one run too fast on my Sempron 2.8ghz (am3) manchine witn winxp. The second game runs normal.

ok thank you

that a few saying p4 northwood, what are temps likes and assuming that stock coolers on these are not as good or am i wrong here

thank you to everyone helping and lets keep it going as it is all helping

Reply 37 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Regarding Sound: You can just use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Terratec DMX XFire 1024; you get both A3D (1.0) and EAX (2.0) as well as a decent software wavetable and much better sound quality than either the Aureal or Creative cards. In the past I used to go with either an Aureal 1/2 or a Live/Audigy, but these days I just swear by the TBSC or TDMX1024.

oh, never heard of either of them and will do some research and see what turns up, thank you

Reply 38 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what about this cpu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentium-4-SL … 9.c100903.m5276

what about this motherboard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-GA-8ISXT- … kcAAOSwW95dJey6

cam ask the seller what cpu that it comes with is

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-11-21, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 67, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
ok thank you […]
Show full quote
MKT_Gundam wrote:
My Actual win98 machine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx. I wil upgrade for a 9600 or fx5500 for dual […]
Show full quote

ok thank you

that a few saying p4 northwood, what are temps likes and assuming that stock coolers on these are not as good or am i wrong here

thank you to everyone helping and lets keep it going as it is all helping

Pretty much every P4 can get hot and loud on a stock cooler. Northwood is cooler than prescott. A lower clocked p4 runs cooler still. I zip tied a 65mm noctua fan to my northwood 3.06ghz model and it runs fine. A 2.2ghz model or a 2.4ghz model will have plenty of performance and more than enough umph for windows 98. The only reason to consider a faster model IMO is if you want to dual boot XP and try for early to mid 2000's gaming (which is period correct for that hardware, but still).