VOGONS

ABIT BX-6 won't POST

Topic actions

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, yes, it's me again.

So I have this BX-6, which I covet for its 440BX chipset, as you all likely know. I recently moved it to a new case, but then it kept freezing on the memory check at boot. Turns out it was a modem card that I was just using to fill an empty slot, so I took it out.

Now I can't get it to POST properly. Upon resetting the CMOS, it boots defaults, but when changing settings in BIOS, I get problems.

It's a 450MHz Pentium III processor, but on default the BIOS reports it as 300Mhz. So I change that, and I set the IDE detection settings.

Once I do that, it simply refuses to POST. Blank screen.

I have resetted it tons of times, and tried to let it boot on just 300Mhz settings. It stops after the memory check reporting a CMOS settings error.

Help?

Reply 1 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gladders wrote:
Hello, yes, it's me again. […]
Show full quote

Hello, yes, it's me again.

So I have this BX-6, which I covet for its 440BX chipset, as you all likely know. I recently moved it to a new case, but then it kept freezing on the memory check at boot. Turns out it was a modem card that I was just using to fill an empty slot, so I took it out.

Now I can't get it to POST properly. Upon resetting the CMOS, it boots defaults, but when changing settings in BIOS, I get problems.

It's a 450MHz Pentium III processor, but on default the BIOS reports it as 300Mhz. So I change that, and I set the IDE detection settings.

Once I do that, it simply refuses to POST. Blank screen.

I have resetted it tons of times, and tried to let it boot on just 300Mhz settings. It stops after the memory check reporting a CMOS settings error.

Help?

Two things come to my mind:

1. Bad capacitors - they can explain almost ALL weird behavior
2. CMOS battery dead - if just on the threshold, it might produce weird results. For all it's worth, it is pretty easy and affordable to give it a try?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've replaced the battery and no difference, so I guess it must be caps then.

Ugh. I hate doing caps. I nearly always fuck it up.

Reply 3 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe atx header is corroded? Does that MB show voltage rail readings in the BIOS?

Reply 4 of 8, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried an entirely different motherboard and entirely different PSU both of which I know work and this new board won't POST either! What am I doing?!

Reply 5 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bad ram, bad cpu, bad video card, cables backwards etc.

Reply 6 of 8, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried different video card. RAM seems good. Two different CPUs (and the ABIT boots until I fiddle with the BIOS)

Maybe it is cables...which ones?!

Reply 7 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

unplug all of the drive cables. double check your ram, try different sticks individually.

Reply 8 of 8, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. It was a cable put in the wrong way round. I'll remember in future! Thanks!