This may seem like a ramble, but its to share as much information as I can about my particular problem...
I've been using a program called Music MasterWorks for about 15 years now. I use version 3.8. I have the installer for 3.94, but don't like the silver UI or the fact that it defaults to showing 4 tracks at once (I only use two track views, one with all tracks together to see the song as a whole, the other for the track I'm working on.) It recently became free to download, with even more UI changes--really horrible ones that clutter the screen. So I haven't even tried to download that.
I just switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home, and found OmniMIDI while looking for the latest version of BASSMIDI, which I was using before. Now the particular version of BASSMIDI that was working best for me, I don't know the version of. The dates are weird: Created October 8th, 2016, Modified December 26th, 2014.
I gave OmniMIDI a try and it was working great for a few days. I had to reset the computer, and ever since then it has a 2-5 second lag when putting a new note down or playing a song. The lag is longer than the default Windows driver. I tried my preferred BASSMIDI installer and that had no lag, but the sound crackles. MUNT has no lag, but I can't change any of the settings (only instruments). And I use Arachno Soundfont mainly, for composing.
I've also tried the Windows Multimedia Wrapper thing, but that just causes Music MasterWorks to close down a few seconds after opening.
I just tried to delete user data to try to reset it to how it worked when I first installed it, and now I'm getting bombarded with Fatal error windows... Which crashed the computer. Luckily Firefox saved this draft! Managed to capture the error window too: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/535538 … 241/unknown.png
Update: VirtualMIDISynth works for my purposes... so I got my preferred program working and I'm happy for now until it breaks again. Still weird that OmniMIDI has that lag though, and I think I'd prefer to use that to sort out my own soundfonts later on! I really was impressed the first few days using it.