VOGONS

First post, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

I recently bought an old Pentium MMX 200mhz machine, with Octek Rhino Socket 7 motherboard, S3 Virge/DX, 128mb ram and have since upgraded it with Voodoo2 12mb. Now I'm planning to upgrade the CPU and have an AMD K6/300AFR available. Is my rig even compatible with that cpu and what sort of jumper configuration etc fiddling I need to do to get it working. I'm somewhat familiar with old 90's tech and all this, but I never had to do a CPU upgrade back in the day. So I lack that knowledge almost completely. I'm assuming it's not going to be as easy as just popping the new CPU in to the socket, since I have already tried that, with no results, unsurprisingly. I'm going to keep it short and straight to the point, since English is not my first language, as you have propably guessed by now, haha! So, anyway, I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this project.

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ofnroyg4l72b25y/AA … 0aaiI2hmHa?dl=0

Reply 1 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome!

two things:

The cpu voltage should be set at 2.2v or 2.3v so your board should support that. 2.4v should also not be an issue but any higher I would not recommend unless you have a good cooler, I consider 2.5v the absolute max.. The current mmx is set at 2.8v.

The multiplier should be set at 4,5x to get 4,5x66 = 300mhz. Your board in the pictures only goes up to 3,5x but that is with jp15 open and set with jp1 and jp2. There is a good chance that when you close jp15 you can acces the higher multiplier on the chip by simply playing with jp1 and jp2. No harm will be done if it doesn't work or work at the wrong speed. When you can accidently set 5x and it posts then simply keep playing with jp1 and jp2 to find the 4,5 setting. If it does not post also try the next setting.

Worst case you can run it at least at 3,5x66= 233mhz. But most intel mmx cpu's will also run just fine at that setting (unless it's a locked cpu).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears to be a Rhino 9, though you'll have to look at the information posted here to know for sure. http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/pentium/rhino9.htm

A photo of the motherboard without the cables covering up so much of it would be more helpful in identifying it, but the manual in the link should allow you to know for sure. The POST screen should list the chipset to confirm that it's an Intel 430HX.

The Asus P55T2P4 is also a 430HX chipset motherboard, but it's capable of running a K6-2+ @500 MHz. It has jumper settings on the motherboard that tell you how to set the FSB to 83 MHz, and it has undocumented jumper settings that allow you to set the CPU core voltage to 2.0 volts. That last official Asus BIOS for the board didn't display the proper speed or support all of the CPUs features, but it worked. Jan Steunebrink modified the BIOS to support them, and display the correct speed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though your board was as popular, so I found no information about CPU support, or undocumented jumper settings.

Another manual, and some BIOS files are listed here: https://www.infania.net/misc/moboarchive/Octe … 20HX/index.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 13, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
Welcome! […]
Show full quote

Welcome!

two things:

The cpu voltage should be set at 2.2v or 2.3v so your board should support that. 2.4v should also not be an issue but any higher I would not recommend unless you have a good cooler, I consider 2.5v the absolute max.. The current mmx is set at 2.8v.

The multiplier should be set at 4,5x to get 4,5x66 = 300mhz. Your board in the pictures only goes up to 3,5x but that is with jp15 open and set with jp1 and jp2. There is a good chance that when you close jp15 you can acces the higher multiplier on the chip by simply playing with jp1 and jp2. No harm will be done if it doesn't work or work at the wrong speed. When you can accidently set 5x and it posts then simply keep playing with jp1 and jp2 to find the 4,5 setting. If it does not post also try the next setting.

Worst case you can run it at least at 3,5x66= 233mhz. But most intel mmx cpu's will also run just fine at that setting (unless it's a locked cpu).

Any chance you could highlight the right jumper positions over this zoomed picture I took? I'm really bad with this jumper stuff, believe me. 😁

https://imgur.com/a/KEkAd0Q

Reply 4 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or do you have a Rhino p-15? It appears that you do: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCTEK-RHINO-P15-REV- … d-/264056801050

Manual and BIOS: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/octek/P … 2015/index.html

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2019-10-28, 21:07. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 13, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote:

Or do you have a Rhino p-15? It appears that you do

Yes, I just looked it up. Post states "Rhino 15, ITE 8679, 097-053, 24 SEP, 97"

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 07:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Torso wrote:
Any chance you could highlight the right jumper positions over this zoomed picture I took? I'm really bad with this jumper stuff […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:
Welcome! […]
Show full quote

Welcome!

two things:

Any chance you could highlight the right jumper positions over this zoomed picture I took? I'm really bad with this jumper stuff, believe me. 😁

jp2 is at 2-3 at the moment and jp3 is at 1-2. I would try jp15 at 1-2 (jumper now missing) and test. After that you can try jp1 and/or jp2 at different settings with jp15 still at 1-2

Reply 7 of 13, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
Torso wrote:
meljor wrote:

jp2 is at 2-3 at the moment and jp3 is at 1-2. I would try jp15 at 1-2 (jumper now missing) and test. After that you can try jp1 and/or jp2 at different settings with jp15 still at 1-2

Damn, I just can't get it to post. Probably doing something totally wrong.

Reply 9 of 13, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running the most recent BIOS version?

I apologize if you already posted that you were, but I didn't see it on the read through.

Reply 10 of 13, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get the CPU running at 300mhz with this jumper configuration. Although, at one boot it was 333mhz, so a bit unstable? I tested Unreal, Half-Life and Quake 2 and noticed some performance improvement, but still big fps drops in bigger areas. When trying to start CPUID, windows gives a bluescreen, so something might be amiss here. Also, unsurprisingly, I noticed some overheating issues. I have a proper fan and a heat sink on the way. So.. Any thoughts ? Is this working as intended or is something still wrong?

Jumper configuration: https://pasteboard.co/IEfYBX0.jpg

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you lower the voltage??? Running at the intel mmx setting (2,8v) is not a good idea... also keep trying, one setting should yield the 4x or 4,5x setting because it's now running at 5x (333mhz).

Reply 13 of 13, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Did you lower the voltage??? Running at the intel mmx setting (2,8v) is not a good idea... also keep trying, one setting should yield the 4x or 4,5x setting because it's now running at 5x (333mhz).

2,5v is the lowest I can go, with the "open" settng. I'v been troubleshooting this with the original manual now, and slowly starting to get the hang of it, thaks for all the info. Yeah, I'll keep fiddling with the settings.