VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Photos will be posted soon-ish

Hi guys! It's Elìa1995 here and this week I got another batch of good vintage hardware by that person who already donated me a bunch of retro computers 2 years go! This time I got some epic stuff I really can't wait to set up and get working!
Well, enough talking, let's start listing!

I got 8 new computers, now, I haven't tracked down all the specs of each one yet, so I'll update this post later on:

1) IBM XT Model 286 (model 5162)
This is probably the most notable and important one, among these 8 computers, since it's a classic piece of history! It came with a 20MB Hardisk (type 6) and 2 floppy drives: a 360k 5" one and a 720k 3" one. It does turn on, but I can't get it to boot from floppies...

2) IBM PC 330 P100
Another IBM computer (now I have a total of 2), this one works flawlessly! It got 40 MB of ram, a 2gb hardisk and windows 98 already installed. I added a sound card (Diamond Technology) and I replaced the old 8x cd drive with a DVD drive!

That's pretty much it for the "pre-built" ones, now for the rest of them, which I think are custom built:

3) Incomplete Pentium 4 build
I got a working Pentium 4, but it lacks an hardisk and an optical drive, so I'll get back to it later when I'll get some ide hardrives.....

4) A 286 computer
I think it's a custom build, since there's an extra HDD LED cable from the case which doesn't fit anywhere in the board, however it sports a whopping AMD 80286 cpu, 1 MB of ram (which I wanna upgrade) and every port comes in its own ISA card, even VGA (maybe I'll try it on my old Olivetti M4 and see if I can bring it back to life)!

5) A Pentium-S 166MHz rig
This rig came with an hardisk with Windows 95 already installed, but the lack of a PS/2 port for the mouse prevents me to properly use it, as all of my serial mice don't seem to work on its serial port...

6) Mysterious AT computer
This one's PSU made a short as I turned it on, hopefully I didn't fry the 2 hardrives it came with... I really need IDE hardrives!!!

7) Another mysterious AT computer
This one bleeps continously when I turn it on, no matter how much ram I put in it...

8] Yet another AT computer
I currently can't remember the specs of this last one, but it works and I think it came with an hardisk and Windows 98.

-----------

I also got 17 optical drives, which I tested one by one, only ten-ish made it through, the rest? I disassembled them, extracted their magnet, laser die and logic boards and soon I'll get into de-solder their caps and chips! It's something I've never got into, but I wanna experiment soldering/de-soldering too!

I also got three Pentium II CPUs, 1 of them already mounted into a motherboard (which doesn't seem to POST, unfortunately... and I have no idea how to remove that CPU from there!)
I checked on Google and it seems that Pentium II CPUs were worth over $2 grand back in '98! I'm so happy to finally own some Slot-1 processors!

I mounted one in that Slot-1 PC I got 2 years ago from the other batch, which I couldn't test because I didn't have the CPU and it posts! I'm gonna turn it into a Windows 95 gaming machine!!!

I also got a bunch of PSUs, which I'll carefully open, clean and test on an already dead motherboard (so I don't fry anything working, if any of them makes a short), just to see if they power on and stay on.

Ah yes! I also got an Olivetti DM 309S, which is a dot matrix printer! I've never used a dot matrix printer and I'm a bit confused, but I remember my father having one when I was a kid, it was an A3 dot matrix printer (because it was quite large), this one's an A4, I tested it on the working 286 PC, using the print command and it works, although it doesn't print anything because the ink ribbon is completely dry... I'll try replenishing it with some fountain pen ink and a sponge along it, otherwise, I found a website that sells compatible cartridges for just €5, so I'll get that printer to print anyway 😉

I'll shoot some photos as soon as I can, as usual, meanwhile we can discuss about all of that cool hardware!

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 2, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lack of a PS/2 port... all of my serial mice don't seem to work on its serial port...

i assume that is AT board, maybe header from a mobo with different pinout for serial and if check somewhere near keyboard header you may find 5-6 one line or 8-10 two lines pin header named like CN1(2, 5, etc) that would be your PS/2 and you need matching header most of time it coupled with LPT

Reply 2 of 2, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

4) A 286 computer
I think it's a custom build, since there's an extra HDD LED cable from the case which doesn't fit anywhere in the board, however it sports a whopping AMD 80286 cpu, 1 MB of ram (which I wanna upgrade) and every port comes in its own ISA card, even VGA (maybe I'll try it on my old Olivetti M4 and see if I can bring it back to life)!

that hdd led cable goes into the hdd controller, it should have a pin specifically for that

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475