VOGONS

First post, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm having some issues getting dgVoodoo2 to work with Super DX-Ball, the game seems to still run at 800-600 even when forcing the resolution in dgVoodoo. dgVoodoo also seems to cause my cursor to only use a 1/4 of the game window, which makes the game unplayable. I'd upload screenshots or a GIF to demonstrate but I can't seem to capture this game sadly.

The non-deluxe version is free if needed for testing: http://www.blitwise.com/superdxb.html

Reply 1 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The demo worked fine for me with resolution forcing. Cursor was stuck in the top left (as in 1px/1px, not 1/4) until I set "Free mouse" (advanced options / conf file).

It's a 2D game, resolution forcing won't necessarily look any different than your GPU/monitor scaling. How do you know it's running at 800x600?

Reply 2 of 11, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Press F7 and F8 in-game, it stretches from 800x600 to the desktop resolution even with dgVoodoo2. Windowed mode is in 800x600 whether you have stretching or centring enabled and the window size doesn't change either with dgVoodoo2 🙁

Reply 3 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The demo works fine for me too. Freemouse is needed, it's right.
F7 does the screenmode switch properly. This is a pure software rendered game, so in windowed mode dgVoodoo is not utilized.
DDraw only needs for fullscreen.

Reply 4 of 11, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for checking it, the both of you.

Select F8, if resolution forcing is applied then the game's size shouldn't change right? It changes to 800-x600 whilst in fullscreen when selecting F8. It's also doesn't look to be running at a higher resolution, the image is still not crisp (i.e. being stretched).

Reply 5 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
umisery wrote:

It changes to 800-x600 whilst in fullscreen when selecting F8

Again, how do you know? How do you know it isn't running at a higher resolution, but just looks like 800x600?

umisery wrote:

It's also doesn't look to be running at a higher resolution, the image is still not crisp

I already said this:

It's a 2D game, resolution forcing won't necessarily look any different than your GPU/monitor scaling.

Resolution forcing is to change the rendering resolution of a 3D game, it's up to the game how to render 2D elements and this game is all 2D elements. You should not use resolution forcing for 2D games.

If you want a fully 2D game to look different, you need to change the scaling algorithm. Either change ImageScaleFactor or ForceNearestPointFilter in the .conf file (or advanced options in dgVoodooCpl.exe).

ForceNearestPointFilter is bad (distortion), but some people who want extreme sharpness might prefer it, it needs ScalingMode set to anything except the first four.

You should set ImageScaleFactor to 0 (this will double 800x600 to 1600x1200).

Last edited by ZellSF on 2019-11-05, 12:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, I saw a screenshot of your desktop on another thread and realized you were using a 1920x1080 monitor, you need to use ImageScaleFactor=2, which would do what I said (resize to 1600x1200).

ImageScaleFactor=0 (max integer factor) is also 1600x1200 for anyone who uses a decent monitor 😜

Reply 7 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Again, how do you know? How do you know it isn't running at a higher resolution, but just looks like 800x600?

dgVoodoo debug layer reports 800x600 when setting the display mode, so it's indeed 800x600.

@umisery
But, as I said, it's a completely cpu-rendered game. All dgvoodoo does is presents the image with some scaling, that's why it cannot be sharp.
As Zell said, you can try pixel multiplying to scale up the image without introducing blurriness.
Try 'Centered, keep aspect ratio' for scaling mode on the General tab and 'Max available' for Image scale factor on the GeneralExt tab to achieve that.

Btw, F8 does nothing for me. F7 is for switching between windowed/fullscreen but what F8 is supposed to do?

Reply 8 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dege: He has a 1920x1080 monitor. 800x600 on that monitor doesn't even fit a 2x integer scale and would result in very large black bars.

umisery: here are the three scenarios you realistically have available:

1x.png
Filename
1x.png
File size
653.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2x.png
Filename
2x.png
File size
592.57 KiB
Views
File license
point.png
Filename
point.png
File size
217.84 KiB
Views
File license

(1920x1080 screenshots, test in fullscreen).

Reply 9 of 11, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fair enough, I misread the above.

Dege This is what happens when you press F8 (you can also change it in the game's options if the hotkey isn't working);

Main, stretched: https://i.imgur.com/3ZN5oxd.png (fills/stretches to my 1080p monitor, but as you can see the image (both screenshot and in-game) is 800x600)

Alternative, centred: https://i.imgur.com/iwy7KFb.png (also fills my 1080p monitor, but with massive black borders and the image itself being 800x600 as visible in the screenshot)

This is how I figured it out it's running at said resolution.

The different F8 options: https://i.imgur.com/eyOczeD.png and https://i.imgur.com/NlEMxsL.png

ZellSF Thanks for that info, I think I'll stick with vanilla as it seems to be the most visually appealing to me.

Reply 11 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird thing with this game: natively it sets a mode of 800x600@60hz. With dgVoodoo it sets a mode of 800x600@59.94hz.

How did I notice? Nvidia drivers see 59.94hz as TV modes and sets dynamic range wrong resulting in washed out colors. Same problem I had with Unreal Tournament 2004.

You can force the dynamic range setting in Nvidia Control Panel, or just force 60hz with dgVoodoo, so it's not really a problem.