VOGONS

Reply 20 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote:

I would be interested cyclone3d, please PM me with the contact info, thanks !

You have a PM.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I count 32 units, but the seller said he would pick the best 20 as some have cracked bezels. He said that some have one CPU only, but I'm assuming that the board still has two CPU sockets?

CPUShack on CPU-World may be willing to buy the lot if there is sufficient interest. If each case is 35 lbs, that's a 700 lbs palette. cyclone3d, would you be willing to weigh your unit? So probably from $500-$1000 to ship to Oregon. Then the cost to buy the lot, then reshipping.

Is there sufficient interest in this? I don't know what the cost of the product would be, possibly $75+ shipping, maybe more, maybe less. Anyone in interested?

Attachments

• s-l1600-3.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    File size
    327.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll weight it and let you know.

Pretty sure that all the boards will have 2 sockets regardless. IF the system originally came with the 200Mhz Pentium, it should also have the full 512KB L2 cache. 256KB onboard and 256KB on w COAST type board from what I gather. I'll update in a bit as my spare board and PSU did arrive today. I just got home and haven't had a chance to even open up the package yet.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

@cyclone3d, cheers for the manual (if the spiral effect irks, edit SP_NOTE.GIF in the IMAGES directory to remove it) - also would mind contact info as well thanks.

The formatting is all correct IF you set your screen resolution to 1024x768. So no need to mess with it at all really.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooh!, much dual socket goodness 😎 , though I count 36 @feipoa

Weight-wise, the ZDS page says 51 lbs without drives

@cyclone3d, thanks for the PM and formatting was spot on but the spirals were just another distraction for my poor eyesight 😢

Reply 27 of 394, by cpushack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

feipoa Let me know about this opportunity, and I dont mind helping out (I do this sort of stuff all day for cpu-world.com members already)
It would be easiest to get them all on one pallet (its pretty cheap to ship)
I am in Klamath Falls, OR 97603 and generally can ship worldwide

NEC Proserva V Dual Pentium 200 Systems
http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33826

Reply 29 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think my interest would be in a fully kitted (spare?) board only, as while I'd love a full unit I suspect cost + shipping to Europe would be unrealistic - if not then as long as such neat kit get saved by you guys I'm happy.

Weight is from here

https://web.archive.org/web/19970517193830/ht … vers/5_3b1.html

Reply 31 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are some pics of the motherboard.

1. Socket 5.. not 7 as I thought. I wasn't aware that there were 200Mhz Pentiums in Socket 5 format.
2. No onboard IDE
3. Dallas chip is socketed
4. Zenith Data Systems branded motherboard

motherboard.jpg
Filename
motherboard.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
MB_model.jpg
Filename
MB_model.jpg
File size
883.68 KiB
Views
File license
Socket_5.jpg
Filename
Socket_5.jpg
File size
615.65 KiB
Views
File license
COAST_and_IO.jpg
Filename
COAST_and_IO.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
COAST_sticker.jpg
Filename
COAST_sticker.jpg
File size
574.33 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 32 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Onboard SCSI though, and onboard diskette controller. Is the battery mod procedure for the DS1587 the same as the DS12887? I'm glad its socketed at least.

cyclone3d wrote:

1. Socket 5.. not 7 as I thought. I wasn't aware that there were 200Mhz Pentiums in Socket 5 format.

yeah, curious. Do your Pentium 200's overheat at all? Run any stability tests?

I've never owned an EISA board. Can we use ISA cards in EISA slots?

Did you use cachechk to see that the system is identifying 512K of cache?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Yes you can ! EISA cards can be a PIA to configure sometimes but is somewhat precursor to PCI with 32bit bus versus ISA 16bit.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
Onboard SCSI though, and onboard diskette controller. Is the battery mod procedure for the DS1587 the same as the DS12887? I'm g […]
Show full quote

Onboard SCSI though, and onboard diskette controller. Is the battery mod procedure for the DS1587 the same as the DS12887? I'm glad its socketed at least.

cyclone3d wrote:

yeah, curious. Do your Pentium 200's overheat at all? Run any stability tests?

Did you use cachechk to see that the system is identifying 512K of cache?

The html manual from the packard bell archive says that adding the COAST module upgrades it to 512K cache and it comes stock when it has the 200Mhz Pentium CPUs.

I haven't actually tested it yet though. Will do in a bit. Curious to see what options are in the BIOS.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, not sure what I am missing other than the jumper page doesn't show anything about what the power switch hooks to.

Guess I'll have to wait till the system itself actually gets here to test out the spare board.

I think the power trends module is the voltage regulator for the CPUs? 😕

It also looks like there might be a place to install an IDE header right next to where the power supply plugs in but it is marked reserved in the diagram of the board.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 37 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think there are a few systems which may have used revisions / OEM versions of this board (Data General had a very similar looking server, the AViiON AV 2000).

Anyway, @cyclone3d, you're missing the LED /Switch Board Cable Assembly (#13 in the Parts > Exploded View in Z-CD and in the sellers case pic next to the front fan) and common on Intel chassis, which plugs into the connection block (CN4?) next to the floppy connector. Please map the actual pinouts when your case arrives.

@feipoa. think the DS1587 (which is bios function compatible with the DS1287/12887) will take the battery mod although the DS1587 is a 28 rather than 24 pin DIP module and also has an auxiliary battery pinout should board makers choose to use it. Also now supports programmable timer functions.

Filename
ds1585_ds1587.pdf
File size
1.04 MiB
Downloads
59 downloads
File license

Would agree that EISA can be frustrating at times, but it's why I'm interested in the board (EISA, not the frustration 🤣 ) - PCI / dual cpu is just a bonus.

Reply 38 of 394, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Any idea what that power trends module is for?

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/T … 00%20Series.pdf

According to datasheet it is a 5 to 3.3V DC-DC converter. Probably for the CPU?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 39 of 394, by kwyjibo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I count 32 units, but the seller said he would pick the best 20 as some have cracked bezels. He said that some have one CPU only, but I'm assuming that the board still has two CPU sockets?

CPUShack on CPU-World may be willing to buy the lot if there is sufficient interest. If each case is 35 lbs, that's a 700 lbs palette. cyclone3d, would you be willing to weigh your unit? So probably from $500-$1000 to ship to Oregon. Then the cost to buy the lot, then reshipping.

Is there sufficient interest in this? I don't know what the cost of the product would be, possibly $75+ shipping, maybe more, maybe less. Anyone in interested?

I am interested. I know shipping to Europe will be expensive, but personally, it is worth the money for me.