VOGONS

Why does PhilsComputerLab disables all but 1 core on his XP gaming builds?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always understood it was good to disable hyper-threading for some games, but Phil disables all cores but one effectively turning his XP machines into single cores? He says it's controversial but never explained why? Can anyone explain why he is doing this and explain the benefits to me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlGsffEoWOM

Reply 4 of 13, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your main goal just make another video for your channel it's not worth all the efforts and time to workaround all possible conflicts with multi processor setups (HT and multi-core is just the same for software). That is mostly precaution for early pre W2000 aware games and some drivers.

Reply 5 of 13, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in my experience, both unreal engine 1 based games (unreal, ut99 and so) and both serious sam TFE and TSE tend to have problems with multiple cores/threads:

-ridicously fast timing (game seems to run crazy fast but the fps aren't as high)
-bad or wrong framepacing and heavy stutter
-low framerates or impossibility to run the game

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 9 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He also disables all IO he doesn't use even though he really doesn't need to, it's just his modus operandi. XP and 99% of XP software work fine on multicores and adjusting core affinity is easy as pie. He just feels more comfortable this way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 13, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given that few if any games from the XP era really take advantage of multi cores - and many suffer from them - why not? Set and forget, much easier than dealing with core affinity every time you play. Games only started utilizing multi cores in the late 2000s, and it seems only really need good MT performance in the last few years.

Reply 11 of 13, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's actually a way to set up your game shortcut to automatically launch it with 1 core affinity, so that you don't have to manually do it each time you start it, but I agree having only 1 core enabled is one less thing to worry about.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 12 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote:

Given that few if any games from the XP era really take advantage of multi cores - and many suffer from them - why not? Set and forget, much easier than dealing with core affinity every time you play. Games only started utilizing multi cores in the late 2000s, and it seems only really need good MT performance in the last few years.

The OS itself benefits from it and the game can be set to single core affinity so why disable it is a more appropriate question I think.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why does anyone do anything? Because they want to or they were directed to.

Why play games on XP since Windows 10 is the best OS ever created and runs all games perfectly?
Why play games at all?

Ask Phil

Closed

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline