Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31220 of 52723, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote:
Got this purple ati 7500 for the price of the delivery (2 euros) and, I'm a bit stumped after looking at it more closely.... see […]
Show full quote

Got this purple ati 7500 for the price of the delivery (2 euros) and, I'm a bit stumped after looking at it more closely.... seems to be made in 2005, but its a 2001 model, why were they still making them in 2005? Also, heatsink seems to be oem and is glued to the gpu chip, but pcb has mounting holes and even a fan connector?

5Uik6mu.jpg

jD9qZIx.jpg

Is it AGP? PCI versions of the 7500 were ised in Alpha hardware for many years I believe. I have a 7500 PCI from an Alpha workstation, it's also a late manufacture.

OTOH I never heard of a purple 7500, can you post photos?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31221 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed a heatsink fan on my old GeForce4 MX4000 PCI card since the old heatsink broke off. The card worked without the heatsink on there, which was odd, yet no artifacts. Parted it since the RAM was starting to flake out and the PCI pins were in rough shape.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31222 of 52723, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Is it AGP? PCI versions of the 7500 were ised in Alpha hardware for many years I believe. I have a 7500 PCI from an Alpha workstation, it's also a late manufacture.

OTOH I never heard of a purple 7500, can you post photos?

Well, 2 photos are attached to my post, aren't they showing up? It is AGP, and it wasnt in a workstation, just some generic pentium 4 pc some guy was parting out and giving away some of the parts for free

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 31223 of 52723, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
God Of Gaming wrote:

seems to be made in 2005, but its a 2001 model, why were they still making them in 2005?

That's not too uncommon for cards chosen by OEMs. I have some Matrox G200 OEM cards made in 2003 - 5 years after the G200 was released.

Purple ATI cards were not that uncommon either. The original All-in-Wonder X800 XT was purple as well (see here for example), so were some others. This shows a purple 7500 as well: https://www.kupindo.com/Graficke-kartice/5427 … N-7500-dual-vga

Reply 31224 of 52723, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a matched pair of 1.4ghz Tualatin Pentium 3's. One serial number apart in production codes out of a dead Compaq 1U server. Also got the 4x1gb sticks of ECC PC133 for my dual Pentium 3 machine. Doesn't really need the upgrades but eh why not? Also a free stack of 2gb sticks DDR2 800 ram.
Non-Retro was more interesting. Pair of 2gb 750ti's, Q9505 cpu, i5-760 based Dell XPS, complete system. Everything super useful for various systems for people I know or myself in the P3 stuff.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 31225 of 52723, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

imi....where do you have been? 🤣

RAM-day today. Think 50€ is quite OK for this. I see many 30-PIN modules which are not easy to get for cheap...

sellers pic:

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
635.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31226 of 52723, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got some graphic cards from a guy, who collects precious metals from them. He accepted my offer, so I bought them from him. One of the cards didn't make it however (see picture). Luckily some of them were left intact, others are missing heatsinks and fans. Are there any highlights among them? I am thinking of buying aftermarket heatsinks for the cards that are worth saving. Which one of the missing heatsink cards diserve another chance 😀 ?

Attachments

• IMG_8712.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8712.JPG
    File size
    626.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8713.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8713.JPG
    File size
    557.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8716.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8716.JPG
    File size
    625.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8717.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8717.JPG
    File size
    641.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8718.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8718.JPG
    File size
    596.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31227 of 52723, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of them looks like a 9000 series ATI AIW card, thats it AFAIC..

Reply 31228 of 52723, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The hunt continues, this time the main focus have been on early 3D accelerators

Creative 3D Blaster Geforce 2 MX200 PCI
IMG-8490.jpg
IMG-8489.jpg

Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo Graphics PCI (this was my first graphics card, so a very welcome addition to the collection)
IMG-8509.jpg
IMG-8516.jpg

Creative Graphics Blaster EXXTREME 3Dlabs Permedia 2 PCI
IMG-8517.jpg
IMG-8523.jpg

Videologic Apocalypse 3D PowerVR PCX1 PCI (Very excited about this one, just recently learned about this card)
IMG-8500.jpg
IMG-8506.jpg

ALL-in-Wonder ATI Rage 128 PRO AGP
IMG-8493.jpg

Colormaster Voodoomania Voodoo Graphics PCI (need to source the card)
IMG-8526.jpg

Matrox Mystique 220 PCI (need to source manual and cds)
IMG-8269.jpg

ASUS V8420S Geforce 4 TI4200 factory overclocked AGP
IMG-8471.jpg

ASUS V8420S Geforce 4 TI4200 factory overclocked AGP
IMG-8475.jpg

ASUS V3800 RIVA TNT AGP
IMG-8473.jpg

ATI Graphics (big chip says mach64) PCI
IMG-8477.jpg

Matrox Millennium G400 AGP
IMG-8479.jpg

ASUS 3DP-V264GT/PRO ATI Rage II+DVD PCI
IMG-8481.jpg

Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo Graphics PCI
IMG-8485.jpg

Creative 3D Blaster Banshee AGP
IMG-8487.jpg

I had a good time looking at these, hope you will too. Have a nice day

Last edited by Skanque on 2020-10-10, 07:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 31229 of 52723, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skanque wrote:
ATI Graphics Ultra Pro Mach32 PCI https://i.ibb.co/g4cjb9h/IMG-8477.jpg […]
Show full quote

ATI Graphics Ultra Pro Mach32 PCI
IMG-8477.jpg

The big chip says Mach 64

Skanque wrote:
Creative 3D Blaster Banshee PCI https://i.ibb.co/3SCyVG9/IMG-8487.jpg […]
Show full quote

Creative 3D Blaster Banshee PCI
IMG-8487.jpg

This is not a PCI card 🤣

Reply 31232 of 52723, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was browsing on eBay and something caught my eye, something that I've never really had a lot of interest in seeking before, but decided on a whim to go ahead and bid for and win - a Sinclair ZX81!

mBosXEil.jpg

The seller's picture was a little blurry, but it looks practically the same as the image above, with the same white addon keyboard, albeit the ZX81 logo is not red.

I'll look out for the 16K RAM expansion soon, might get one for Christmas.

But this is now officially the lowest specced, least capable computer system I own. Well, something had to fulfil that role and I'd rather it be this. 🤣

Reply 31233 of 52723, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:
Skanque wrote:

some nice cards I have a few of those, what cards are you hunting for?

I am looking for Rendition Vérité and S3 Virge version that match the others being 4mb and from 96-97. I prefer boxed version. Also Ati Rage II+ or II+DVD in box.

SSTV2 wrote:
Skanque wrote:

The hunt continues, this time the main focus have been on early 3D accelerators ...

Were you successful at reviving the broken GF4 Ti?

I haven't gotten around to that yet.

ShovelKnight wrote:
Skanque wrote:

Translation: "You are doing it wrong.."

Noted ill correct it.

Reply 31234 of 52723, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

gl with new in box... I got my rendition for 5 dollars same with virge, they don't have boxes though. I am not that kind of collector though, I have working collection that can be used.

Reply 31235 of 52723, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skanque wrote:
The hunt continues, this time the main focus have been on early 3D accelerators […]
Show full quote

AUS 3DP-V264GT/PRO ATI Rage II+DVD PCI
IMG-8481.jpg

Ahhhh.. I have been looking for this card for soo long... Lucky you...

Reply 31236 of 52723, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote:
I was browsing on eBay and something caught my eye, something that I've never really had a lot of interest in seeking before, bu […]
Show full quote

I was browsing on eBay and something caught my eye, something that I've never really had a lot of interest in seeking before, but decided on a whim to go ahead and bid for and win - a Sinclair ZX81!

mBosXEil.jpg

The seller's picture was a little blurry, but it looks practically the same as the image above, with the same white addon keyboard, albeit the ZX81 logo is not red.

But this is now officially the lowest specced, least capable computer system I own. Well, something had to fulfil that role and I'd rather it be this. 🤣

Ancient memories... that beast was terribly slow and limited when I had it - with 16MB RAM pacl - as a schoolboy back in the early 1980s. And it had possibly the only keyboard worse than the current MacBook range. Even with prosthetic keyboard like this it was painful. But it was the first computer <100GBP and for that alone worthy of its place in history.

Reply 31237 of 52723, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
PTherapist wrote:
I was browsing on eBay and something caught my eye, something that I've never really had a lot of interest in seeking before, bu […]
Show full quote

mBosXEil.jpg

Ancient memories... that beast was terribly slow and limited when I had it - with 16MB RAM pacl - as a schoolboy back in the early 1980s. And it had possibly the only keyboard worse than the current MacBook range. Even with prosthetic keyboard like this it was painful. But it was the first computer <100GBP and for that alone worthy of its place in history.

I think you mean 16KB rather than 16MB unless I way underestimated what an 8-bit is capable of.

Reply 31238 of 52723, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this AT Power supply yesterday for 5 EUR. When I looked at it more closely, I realised that it only has connections for the motherboard. No molex or floppy connections. What kind of power supply is this and what computers (motherboards) it is ment for? Is it possible to use it in an "regular" computer?

Attachments

• IMG_8723.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8723.JPG
    File size
    451.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31239 of 52723, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing it powered an industrial ISA backplane -- especially due to the short power switch cable. You can certainly still use it if it is functional. You can add some of your own cables that you need (molex, floppy) by soldering directly to the board, or making an in-line breakout cable.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals