VOGONS

Dosbox 0.65 is AMAZING

Topic actions

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know fan useless threads are probably not nessesary, but damnit guys you've outdone yourselves. Games like Crusader and System Shock had terrible lagging sound on my FX-53, forcing me to use frame skipping and other fixes that only caused fps issues.

Now they run like a dream. Perfect video + perfect sound = one happy retro gamer! 😁 I'm compelled to run every game I own just to see any boosts I get from using this new version.

Best yet, it still works in the old D-fend. Just add 'original' to the list of resolutions and a few other options and all set. 😎

I am going to test a few games known to have issues just to be on the safe side.

Reply 1 of 44, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol, I guess DOSBox 0.65 has no better description than "AMAZING" then!

Reply 2 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We did it almost the exact minute! 🤣

I'm in love so far, assuming my little bio menace issue can be easily solved.

Reply 3 of 44, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so its MUCH better than latest cvs ?

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3

Reply 4 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The verdict is still out on a few things, but so far I'm seeing major improvements over the CVS build I was using. I still have quite a bit to try out though.

EDIT - Dear god, even Duke3D runs full speed for me now. 😎

Reply 5 of 44, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anyway, i wont download, as it comes with a crap installer thing (god i hate those)
Zip/rar version somewhere ?

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3

Reply 6 of 44, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I confirm the installer is spyware free 😜

Reply 7 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd never used video record features of the CVS before so this is a fun feature for me to play with. 😁 Perfect for showing people old nostalgic moments.

Reply 8 of 44, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good job guys. If I were your boss I'd send you to the Caribbean for a week now... since I'm not you'll have to go on your own 😉

tearex

Reply 9 of 44, by Johan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, this new release is friggin sweet!
Even MDK runs smoothly! Good job, guys!

Reply 10 of 44, by Peturrr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW!!! DOsbox is amazingly improved!!
Extreme Pinball on Ubuntu Linux is now completely smooth and no graphical artifacts anymore!!
Great job!!

Reply 11 of 44, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how is 0.65 different from say, last month's CVS build? 😲

Reply 12 of 44, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably an amazing release but for those that enjoy added features such as D3D/OpenGL scaling/filtering, I guess it's stick with a CVS?!

Reply 13 of 44, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I guess anything considered unstable, not integrating with the rest of dosbox too well, or otherwise less-than-perfect was kept out of the official release so there wouldn't be loads of people complaining about it.

Reply 14 of 44, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of questions: Does Windows 3.11 work under this version? I lost contact with the CVS builds several months ago.

If so, what is the easiest way to install it from an ISO image? I'm using D-Fend.

Reply 15 of 44, by absolutefunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW! Quake loads now and it actually runs smooth! This is great, nice job guys!

-Brian

Reply 16 of 44, by Johan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevlle, AFAIK there is no CD version of Windows 3.11. Anyway, there is an installation how-to in the DOSbox guides subforum.

Click here

Reply 17 of 44, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know there's no CD version. It's just that in order to make it easier to install it under virtual machines (I use VMWare Workstation) I copied the whole installation package into a ISO file.

I'll check that guide, thanks. BTW, to the dude who said he can run Quake smoothly, what are youe machine specs and what settings are you using? I have quite a few early Pentium era games I'd like to test as well.

Reply 18 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake is the heaviest of the DOS games. I highly doubt he's running it @ 640x480 probably at some resolution lower than that although it's probably playable @ 640 but not ideal.

Anyways the FPS engine games are the slowest of the protected mode games under DosBox, other protected mode games are just fine with a recent processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 44, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A pity to hear that... I was looking forward to play "tekwar" or one of those Terminator games.. Maybe next time.