VOGONS

First post, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I am updating the code I am releasing some alhpha packages on SourceForge, some changes are bug fixes and some are enhancements, please check the SourceForge often for new releases and test them if you can.
If you find anything that runs on a previous version but does not work on the new one, PLEASE report that.
If you find that any game or demo runs better (visual and/or faster) report that too.
I am counting on you to continue to improve OpenGLide.

Reply 1 of 10, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried FreeSpace yesterday (w/ OpenGlide 0.08a2 which I assume meant Alpha 2, I just downloaded it because it looke liked the newest one there) and it seems something has broken between this and the last version I tried (0.07something): I'm almost positive that last time it went full screen and was faster overall (the same graphic glitches I reported are still present). I don't expect you to put a lot of effort into fixing this seeing as it doesn't really bother me either way, I just thought I'd let you know.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 3 of 10, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*hits forehead*

Ah, ok.

edit: another retarded question: The distribution I downloaded didn't have an OpenGlid.ini file. I can just create one with that line in it and it'll work, right?

Last edited by LSD on 2002-11-27, 17:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GoldFinger: you don't seem to have tagged the repository at the point of your new releases. You might regret that because when in months to come we get reports of behavoural differences between versions, it will be difficult to get diffs of the source corresponding to those versions.

I haven't updated to take on your 008b2 changes yet, so I have a working copy here that I can use to tag 008v1 if you like. Shall I do that?

Reply 6 of 10, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LSD,
When you run a game without the .INI file OpenGLide will create one for you, just run once the game and then modify the .INI.

LSD wrote:

*hits forehead*

Ah, ok.

edit: another retarded question: The distribution I downloaded didn't have an OpenGlid.ini file. I can just create one with that line in it and it'll work, right?

Reply 8 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm seeing problems with v008a3.

One problem is missing triangles here and there. Looking through your changes, I think I know the cause of this. Between v1.9 and v1.10 of GLRender.cpp, I added code to set up sensible defaults for the OpenGL z values if both z buffering and w buffering are disabled. You've just taken the code back out and I think that's the cause. I think the reason it is needed is because when games aren't using z/w buffering they are quite happy to leave z floating, but OpenGL is not so happy about it because of the clipping stage: any triangles with mad z values get removed by clipping.

The other new problem is in Extreme Assault. Smoke rising off of some things appears as lots of black squares. Can't see a reason for this one yet.

Reply 9 of 10, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok Paul,
Put the code back then, I will see if I can look into the problems tomorrow, if I do not find them I think you will need to look into this, where do I find extreme assault to download? (any demo?)
I will travel tomorrow night and will only be back on sunday night so... 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Ok Paul,
Put the code back then, I will see if I can look into the problems tomorrow, if I do not find them I think you will need to look into this, where do I find extreme assault to download? (any demo?)

The "extreme assault" page on http://www.glidos.net has a link to the demo.

This one could be hard to find: it wasn't something which relied on any of my changes; I seem to remember all the blending effects in Extreme Assault working without me needing to change anything.

I will travel tomorrow night and will only be back on sunday night so... 😀

I think we can let you have a night off. 😀 Have fun.