VOGONS

Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1601 of 5932, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone playing Red Dead right now? Do yall have any problems running it?

I literally forgot I had to work with my brand new floopy emulator because of RDR2 😜

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    605.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1602 of 5932, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing some NovaLogic games: Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1603 of 5932, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Playing some NovaLogic games: Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down.

Joint Operations was one of my favorite LAN party titles back in the mid 00s. Absolute blast.

Reply 1604 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been messing around with C&C a bit - man I love that game and I've played a lot of it over the years but man do I suck at it. I've been sitting on the same level for hours and hours - I have NOD on the ropes finally but I think the AI is basically just dying of boredom at this point.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1605 of 5932, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Joint Operations was one of my favorite LAN party titles back in the mid 00s. Absolute blast.

I attempted to play it online, but I get stuck at the screen saying requires information.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1606 of 5932, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my continuing quest to play community map packs instead of the same old games I've already played, I found this pretty neat DOOM WAD and am giving it a go. Only five maps so I'll probably stick around to finish it.

doom1.jpg
Filename
doom1.jpg
File size
364.11 KiB
Views
File license
doom2.jpg
Filename
doom2.jpg
File size
296.74 KiB
Views
File license

(All screenshots from the first map)

What can I say, the visuals and architecture in this are stunning. I can't believe the old DOOM engine has been pushed this far. Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't quite hold up - most of what I've played is of the "(1) arrive at an empty area, (2) push a button, (3) hundreds of enemies spawn in and I'll probably die" variety, but I'm not super far in yet and fortunately cheats exist. IMHO it's worth checking out for the graphics alone.

Great music too! I might do a "no enemies" playthrough just to appreciate it once I've gotten through the rest.

doom.gif
Filename
doom.gif
File size
986.4 KiB
Views
File license

BTW don't expect this to run on a retro system, like, at all. I'm running GZDoom on my i7 3770 8GB + GTX750Ti 2GB and getting 20-30 FPS for the most part. But hey, it's DOOM.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1607 of 5932, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

What can I say, the visuals and architecture in this are stunning. I can't believe the old DOOM engine has been pushed this far. Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't quite hold up - most of what I've played is of the "(1) arrive at an empty area, (2) push a button, (3) hundreds of enemies spawn in and I'll probably die" variety

Well you are playing slaughterwads, that's kind of the point of those kinds of map sets. Absurd amounts of enemies.

Personally though, I think the most impressive custom maps for Doom are the ones that are elaborate in their architecture yet still maintain compatibility within Boom's limits and specifications.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1608 of 5932, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well on an IPS panel with deep blacks and the brightness all the way off in the monitor settings because it gives me eye strain to have showroom competing under heavy overhead lights nit levels, Doom 3 is super duper dark and I can't see a damn thing half the time, it's an exercise in frustration without the headlamp mod. I'm still getting all the jump scares and finding it quite enjoyable regardless.

I haven't gone back to FEAR or Outer Worlds yet, started playing Borderlands 3 again now that they did a big patch fixing most of the bugs I was having and added dedicated loot drops to enemies so it's not so boring, having a lot of fun with that again. I also installed Alan Wake that I got on the EPIC store for free and will give that a go.

Oh, and sirlemonhead released his PC Exhumed/Powerslave port based on eduke32 today, so I'll probably have a go at that when I find my Powerslave disc.

Reply 1609 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ryzen 5 2600 + RX480 System is a GO.

First game: DOOM 2016.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1610 of 5932, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Well you are playing slaughterwads, that's kind of the point of those kinds of map sets. Absurd amounts of enemies.

Personally though, I think the most impressive custom maps for Doom are the ones that are elaborate in their architecture yet still maintain compatibility within Boom's limits and specifications.

Figures, I didn't know that was a specific map type. I'm not very well versed in the Doom modding scene...

I'll probably take on Doom Zero next, which is not only vanilla/DOS compatible but looks really well done. A youtuber I follow has been playing through it recently & it seems like my style - adventure/exploration focused with nice visuals and cool design elements.

I ended up starting a new playthrough of Slaughter Spectrum with some extra eye candy mods (voxel objects, although these ended up being a bit janky, and extra animation frames via SmoothDoom.) More importantly I also added Ultimate Custom Doom, which let me set a healthy 9x multiplier to the damage done by all my weapons and make my HP regenerate, among other things. Much more fun now. The super shotgun can blow through a hordes of imps & zombies in seconds, and the BFG one-shots cyberdemons. (The rocket launcher is almost a suicide button at ANY kind of short range, but it sure takes a lot of dudes down at the same time!) I'm sure the hardcore purists would hate me 😜 but honestly I can't see how slogging through 600+ enemies per map would be anything but absolutely tedious on standard damage.

I also mapped some duplicate controls (jump, duck, fire) to my foot controller which works surprisingly well. Definitely one of the more bizarre FPS control schemes I've made up - I'm playing with a trackball, Logitech G13 gaming keypad, and three foot pedals now. If you liken it to operating a mech it makes sense. Maybe.

Screenshot_Doom_20191121_231822.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_Doom_20191121_231822.jpg
File size
525.99 KiB
Views
File license
Screenshot_Doom_20191122_003649.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_Doom_20191122_003649.jpg
File size
483.78 KiB
Views
File license
Screenshot_Doom_20191122_003849.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_Doom_20191122_003849.jpg
File size
527.55 KiB
Views
File license

Map 2 took me almost 50 minutes, mostly because I had to stop and look around so much and find all the little details. It also has a ton of one of my favorite old-school FPS gimmicks: non-linear mindfuck geometry. I can't get enough of that. Definitely worth a no-monsters playthrough if you just want to see some incredible art done in the doom engine!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1612 of 5932, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Y'know, xjas. I have been peering around to find more people to play the following doom mod: https://terminusest13.itch.io/hellshots-golf

Though, it's made to run under Zandronum specifically rather than gzdoom. Especially since gzdoom still does not have a properly functioning client-server model...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1613 of 5932, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Hell yeah, I'm game! Can always install Zandronum. When are you online?
My peak gaming time is usually between 9-2AM PDT, but whenever works.

Reply 1615 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blerg I just fired up Outlaws to see how my Cyrix would handle it in hi-res (not great) and I feel awful - this is the only game that's ever given me motion sickness. I had 'head bob' off and all; I think it's just something about this game's perspective.

Oh man, deep breaths.

Reply 1616 of 5932, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rise of the Tomb Raider - it's on sale at Steam right now, so I had to get it. And I Iove it.

There are no microtransactions and while the story is a bit cliche ("Fight the bad guy"), the environmental and visual storytelling is top notch.
I also love that they have a crafting system, but it doesn't get into your way. You can find most things while you're on a way to a mission anyway and then all you need is to press a button here and there to make aid or ammunition.

It's weird, that I actually WANT to explore the world and check out every corner to find hidden treasures, whereas "The Outer Worlds" was the exact opposite of that with uninteresting world design and shallow characters.

Also, Lara's outfits are super cute.

Attachments

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1617 of 5932, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Blerg I just fired up Outlaws to see how my Cyrix would handle it in hi-res (not great) and I feel awful - this is the only game that's ever given me motion sickness. I had 'head bob' off and all; I think it's just something about this game's perspective.

Oh man, deep breaths.

Is it because of the no perspective correction when looking up or down? Or the FOV?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1619 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Is it because of the no perspective correction when looking up or down? Or the FOV?

Yeah I suspect it's the perspective correction - no other 2.5D games bother me but in saying that I don't often look up/down in Duke3D, etc, and if I do it's via keys so quite controlled. Outlaws has mouse-look out of the box - arg even just thinking about it is making me queezy. Great game but I've safely uninstalled it and packed it away.