VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31300 of 52354, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I got some interesting cards for around £20 total. Not pictured are two Socket 7 boards (Soyo 5TA2 & Gigabyte GA-586ATX) that were also in the lot, I really need to start clearing some of those out 😀

November22ndcards-1.jpg
Filename
November22ndcards-1.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The main reason I bought this was for the Kingston ATaboard memory card, which I couldn't find much information on. It'll be interesting to see if that can work, the 286 board I've got could make good use of it if I can get that 286 working.
The Opti 924 soundcard with clone OPL3 is pretty nice, the SCSI card could potentially be useful too.

November22ndcards-2.jpg
Filename
November22ndcards-2.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license

From some quick searching, the big card up top is a floppy card from an IBM 5150 - IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter. Not too useful to me as I don't have any XT computers.
The ISA video cards are nice though, but more basic than I was hoping, I'm guessing they came from a couple of 286 PCs or very basic 386s.

Reply 31301 of 52354, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

Everything was neatly wrapped and labled by my grandpa too.

That is truly wonderful. While it is indeed an entry-level SLR, we can also say there was nothing entry-level about buying an SLR at that time. That shows quite a commitment. I hope you got some of the images taken to go along with that treasure.

Reply 31302 of 52354, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:
Robin4 wrote:
Very hard to find items: […]
Show full quote

Very hard to find items:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Can you use one of these with a CF card (and adapter) or are they only compatible with specific types of IDE HDD's?

I dont think CF cards will work on the AT IDE controller.. But that isnt the purpose for me.. around 40 - 80MB is more then enough for in a XT class machine.
If i wanted to use CF, then i would have bought me a custom board to use CF with.

The first card is for AT class disks only.

The second card is for XT class disks only.. On this one you can connect 2 XT class drives, so each channel have one drive attached.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 31303 of 52354, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

I dont think CF cards will work on the AT IDE controller..

They do work, via an appropriate adapter.
CF standard is based on ATA, so adapters are simple and cheap.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 31304 of 52354, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:
Today I got some interesting cards for around £20 total. Not pictured are two Socket 7 boards (Soyo 5TA2 & Gigabyte GA-586ATX) t […]
Show full quote

Today I got some interesting cards for around £20 total. Not pictured are two Socket 7 boards (Soyo 5TA2 & Gigabyte GA-586ATX) that were also in the lot, I really need to start clearing some of those out 😀

November22ndcards-1.jpg

The main reason I bought this was for the Kingston ATaboard memory card, which I couldn't find much information on. It'll be interesting to see if that can work, the 286 board I've got could make good use of it if I can get that 286 working.
The Opti 924 soundcard with clone OPL3 is pretty nice, the SCSI card could potentially be useful too.

November22ndcards-2.jpg

From some quick searching, the big card up top is a floppy card from an IBM 5150 - IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter. Not too useful to me as I don't have any XT computers.
The ISA video cards are nice though, but more basic than I was hoping, I'm guessing they came from a couple of 286 PCs or very basic 386s.

Congrats on the GA-586ATX board. whether it is revision 1, 2 or 3.0, these are really nice boards, and very fast.

Reply 31305 of 52354, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

I dont think CF cards will work on the AT IDE controller..

They do work, via an appropriate adapter.
CF standard is based on ATA, so adapters are simple and cheap.

Is the adapter 8-bit or 16-bit though? For XT IDE (8-bit), you need to send commands to the CF card to work in 8-bit mode, otherwise the CF card defaults to 16-bit. This is why the XT-IDE and XT-CF adapters were made, so they have their own bootloader to tell the CF card to operate in 8-bit mode.

Edit: According to this, it looks like an 8-bit IDE-AT controller.
https://ibm.retropc.se/rom/rom.html

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 31306 of 52354, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Is the adapter 8-bit or 16-bit though?

CF is 16-bit.
ATA is 16-bit.
Yes, there was some "8-bit data transfer" option in ATA-2, but I don't think it was widely implemented.
So I think CF<->ATA adapters must be 16-bit, why bother with that exotic 8-bit mode if both sides are primarily 16-bit ?

For XT IDE (8-bit), you need to send commands to the CF card to work in 8-bit mode, otherwise the CF card defaults to 16-bit. This is why the XT-IDE and XT-CF adapters were made, so they have their own bootloader to tell the CF card to operate in 8-bit mode.

I'm not sure about XT-CF...
but XT IDE card was originally designed for ATA HDDs, ie. definitely 16-bit, the controller card doesn't expect the drive to support 8-bit mode.

Edit: According to this, it looks like an 8-bit IDE-AT controller.
https://ibm.retropc.se/rom/rom.html

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to...
Let me clarify:

Juko D16-X - connects 16-bit ATA drives (and very likely 16-bit CF cards via additional adapter) to 8-bit ISA

Seagate ST05X - connects 8-bit XTA drives (but not CF cards) to 8-bit ISA

XTA and ATA-2 8-bit data transfer are two different things.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 31307 of 52354, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

If i wanted to use CF, then i would have bought me a custom board to use CF with.

You are right, I forgot that such ISA cards with CF slot exist 😊

Reply 31308 of 52354, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tyan tiger 133, dual piii 866 cpus and 1gig pc133 for my y2k workstation build.

tyan.tiger.133.jpg
Filename
tyan.tiger.133.jpg
File size
678.83 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by wirerogue on 2019-11-23, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31309 of 52354, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up one of those InterAct PC Propad controllers to try out as an alternative to my Gravis Gamepad.

un7Cyzdm.jpg

I love it. The D-pad on this is far superior to the one on the Gravis Gamepad. I don't much care for all the other fancy bells-and-whistles that this comes with (not really even sure what all the extra buttons are really for... turbo/autofire stuff I guess mostly... meh).

Also picked up a cheap Thinkpad A21m. Kinda cool I guess. I wanted one solely because it's one of the few laptops that still had Windows 98 + DOS support with Sound Blaster compatible audio hardware (even if it's sometimes a bit strange sounding), floppy+CD-rom built in, good keyboard, and the main differentiator for me: upscaling support that uses aliasing/bilinear filtering instead of attempting to do nearest-neighbour. An ok-ish all-around laptop for retro gaming.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 31310 of 52354, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nos antec pp403x psu. 400 watts, 20 pin, -5v and no sata power. sweet. i actually bought 2 of them.

antec.pp403x.front.jpg
Filename
antec.pp403x.front.jpg
File size
488.71 KiB
Views
File license
antec.pp403x.back.jpg
Filename
antec.pp403x.back.jpg
File size
200.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31311 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about this SOC 486 evaluation board? Should just be able to add a sound card and drives and have a fully functional "486 class" computer.

Up to at least 100Mhz fsb and 128MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM support. 66Mhz PCI support as well from what I can tell. This should be interesting.

Seller's pics:

board.jpg
Filename
board.jpg
File size
522.59 KiB
Views
File license
SOC.jpg
Filename
SOC.jpg
File size
388.22 KiB
Views
File license
jumpers.jpg
Filename
jumpers.jpg
File size
464.03 KiB
Views
File license

I will of course be experimenting with undocumented jumper settings.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31313 of 52354, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote:

tyan tiger 133, dual piii 866 cpus and 1gig pc133 for my y2k workstation build.

tyan.tiger.133.jpg

That's a sweet looking board (I see they don't sell for cheap, either). Especially with that ISA slot, it looks like a perfect fit for a hybrid DOS/98/2k or xp build with that extra CPU giving a little more power to 2k.

Reply 31314 of 52354, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
How about this SOC 486 evaluation board? Should just be able to add a sound card and drives and have a fully functional "486 cla […]
Show full quote

How about this SOC 486 evaluation board? Should just be able to add a sound card and drives and have a fully functional "486 class" computer.

Up to at least 100Mhz fsb and 128MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM support. 66Mhz PCI support as well from what I can tell. This should be interesting.

Seller's pics:

The attachment board.jpg is no longer available
The attachment SOC.jpg is no longer available
The attachment jumpers.jpg is no longer available

Nice ! I had to search to figure out what it was, found a good pdf describing it. Looks like a good but very odd board to play with.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31315 of 52354, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
How about this SOC 486 evaluation board? Should just be able to add a sound card and drives and have a fully functional "486 cla […]
Show full quote

Seller's pics:

board.jpg
SOC.jpg
jumpers.jpg

Sexiest thing Ive seen in a while and I just had a very.. fun weekend..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31316 of 52354, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally! Some ECC REG SDRAM sticks. Eight 1GB and four 512MB, this will be perfect for an overkill P3 machine. Also two Tualatin 1400s för another dual P3 build.

IMG_4256s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4256s.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31317 of 52354, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spotted another wavetable card in a 15 kg lot - the seller agreed to send it to me for 45€. Arrived in an envelope, but seem to have survived...
The lot was sold for much more (and the Yamaha was not removed from the photo), hope this will not give a surprise for the winner...

IMG_6848.JPG
Filename
IMG_6848.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31318 of 52354, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The lot was sold for much more (and the Yamaha was not removed from the photo), hope this will not give a surprise for the winner...

Wait, you look for scrap lots on ebay, pick the best cards and ask the seller if you can get only those, and let others get the worthless remains? No offense, but that's not a nice behaviour. If you find a lot with interesting cards, you should buy the whole lot and not do cherry picking. And you offered him 45€, knowing that this wavetable alone is worth at least 150€? Can't even find words for this...

That's also a violation of ebay rules, btw.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-11-24, 13:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31319 of 52354, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Wait, you look for scrap lots on ebay, pick the best cards and ask the seller if you can get only those, and let others get the worthless remains? No offense, but that's not a nice behaviour. If you find a lot with interesting cards, you should buy the whole lot and not do cherry picking.

That's also a violation of ebay rules, btw.

Not to mention the seller continuing to offer said lot with the unchanged picture is also against the ebay rules...