VOGONS

Reply 40 of 124, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm kind of interested, but also interested in where people are getting $2 or $3 passive adapters!

Kind of had a financial/medical bomb go off but when things get back in order I will check it out.

Might be good to test and then replace with a passive adapter for use - or I might find out how much DIYing it would cost and maybe do more than one.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 41 of 124, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool stuff! Glad to see mounting holes made it in later. For the cable harness, why not do 10 screw terminals? Is there a serial interface to repeat out the data the OLED presents?

Merovign wrote:

where people are getting $2 or $3 passive adapters!

I used a 20 to 24 ATX adapter to get the socket then spliced in AT connectors chopped from dead psus.

Reply 42 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, great to hear that this project is finally taking off! Hope you got your private life arranged now and wish you all the best!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 43 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Auzner wrote:

Cool stuff! Glad to see mounting holes made it in later. For the cable harness, why not do 10 screw terminals? Is there a serial interface to repeat out the data the OLED presents?

A version with screw terminals is definitely possible! It could be an option on the final converter.

Datas displayed on the OLED can be grabbed via the USB port (or via the ICSP header if reconfigured as soft serial)

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 44 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Project has just been launched! 😀

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doctb/at … -retro-hardware

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 45 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...and backed 2x early bird. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 49 of 124, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm all for this. This would be EXCELLENT for the Arcade scene too.
Motherboards are well and good, but this could be a great boon when testing dodgy Hong Kong arcade boards coated in layers of cigarette smoke.

You might consider advertising this on KLOV or AtariAge too.

Reply 51 of 124, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should added 3.3V, 5V and ground 6 pin connector as there is some boards that needs this as well. I see these three power connectors like this.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 52 of 124, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool. Was hoping that this would get produced. Backed for 2x early bird.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:

I wanted to pledge yesterday for 2, but kickstarter simply wouldn't let me, now all the early birds are gone 🙁

I've just added 5 Kit of 2 😉

Reply 56 of 124, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xsecret wrote:

What are the most common PSU connectors on the arcade scene?

JAMMA, a card-edge connector.
You would have to make a card with a female JAMMA connector on one end and PCB card edge on the other that would pass through the command signals for buttons, but any plug you want for your device. You could even keep the P8/P9 plugs.

Word of caution, though, some arcade PCBs are quite large and need and adjustable 5V rail due to the resistance dropping voltage on further components.

Reply 57 of 124, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys, didn't notice this thread when it was fresh so I guess I'll pull a bit of a Captain Hindsight here:
Why not design the board with 20 pin ATX input as well as output so it'll take a readily assembled ATX->AT adapter cable? Saves you cutting the ATX->AT cable and crimping the connector plus the device could then also serve as surge protection for ATX boards. It would also create direct compatibility with premade solutions for other devices that rely on a regular ATX PSU and connector.

Another improvement might be adding compatibility for newer PSUs in form of an inverter for -5V (that part shouldn't be too expensive I guess) and maybe by implementing +12V -> +5V conversion using the 4pin +12V CPU power connector which will be present on all new PSUs that have a weak +5V rail (more expensive and probably only necessary for later S462 machines). This upgrade may also come in form of a second PCB that clips on the ATX power input of the surge protection board.

The whole assembly could then be mounted into an ATX PSU form factor chassis together with a TFX or maybe even SFX PSU so no extra case space would be needed.

Is any of this still helpful? 😀

Edit: Yeah, that -5V part is already included, I dun goofd. 😉
Also full ATX compatibility would require monitoring +3.3V and +5VSB as well.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2019-12-04, 12:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 58 of 124, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

last time I searched ATX plug connectors with solder pins were pretty hard to find

I don't think this adapter is made for later machines like S462 that would probably easily exceed it's ratings.
and a ~20A DC/DC converter from 12V to 5V would be very pricey in itself
for S462 a new PSU with strong 5A rail should be sufficient imho.

Reply 59 of 124, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I openly admit ro being an electronics n00b. 😉 My suggestions are meant to be constructive feedback and I really hope that's what they're perceived as. 😀

imi wrote:

last time I searched ATX plug connectors with solder pins were pretty hard to find

I think they're regular Molex products. Correct me if I found the wrong product here.

imi wrote:

I don't think this adapter is made for later machines like S462 that would probably easily exceed it's ratings.

I have no idea about the capacities of this PCB and the components used. If implementing higher currents is easy and cheap that suggestion may be useful. If not we can safley disregard my input. 😉

imi wrote:

and a ~20A DC/DC converter from 12V to 5V would be very pricey in itself

Hence the suggestion of implementing it as an optional board that goes between the ATX PSU and the current protector board. Buy it only if you need it. Maybe use it without the protector board if your new PSU has good overcurrent protection anyway.
Would it even need to be 20A btw? Isn't it possible to combine this rail with the existing +5V rail from the PSU?

imi wrote:

for S462 a new PSU with strong 5A rail should be sufficient imho.

The ones with good +5V are rather expensive i think. >20A@+5V seems to start at about 100€. If I can get a regular 40€ PSU plus a 15€ converter board to drive dual S462 systems that's a win in my book. 😀
But again if that's pure illusion or if it's simply too late, not worth it to implement or nobody is interested in any of this my input can safely be dismissed. 😎