Why does EMS suck on my 286?

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 167, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

You know, there's a way to offer help, useful tips and constructive criticism without being a pompous egotistical ass.

I'm guessing this is not directed at me 😎

Reply 162 of 167, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reworking the card to serve odd bytes only, nice save.

And now your ROM code can execute faster too. Any benchmarks? 😉

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 163 of 167, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say that your persistence and hardware skills are something to admire. And kudos 😀 to your success in search of harmony for SCSI and EMS addons for 286!

Though I do have the knowledge to read schematics and understand digital logics, I have since groomed as a software guy. Back then in the college days, I even self-learned Protel PCB with auto-routing but was lacking the resources of accessing to hobbyist PCB build facilities. I had only done 2 PCBs in my life, and that was with primitive, laborious process of using marker pens, toxic chemical solution and manual drilling. (So then I said forget it 😵 ) I am OK with soldering which I still do today if needed. If I were to put in your situation, then I would have gone with writing the TSR to shadow the SCSI ROM.

I remember the pain of having early 286 without hardware EMS as my 1st PC as a kid was exactly such poor 286, in those days when there was no internet, no electronics superstores and computer sales person would knock on the door to make a deal. And I do realize the importance of EMS for 286 being the transitional gap between 8086 software and true protected-mode software for 386.

Hope you finally would get the design right and then the ROM on the SCSI can be disabled to use the 16-bit ROM card entirely.

Reply 164 of 167, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

Reworking the card to serve odd bytes only, nice save.

And now your ROM code can execute faster too. Any benchmarks? 😉

Yes, it actually did make a small but measurable difference.

8-bit ROM access:

8bit ROM.jpg
Filename
8bit ROM.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

16-bit ROM access:

16bit ROM.jpg
Filename
16bit ROM.jpg
File size
1.95 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 165 of 167, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote:
I have to say that your persistence and hardware skills are something to admire. And kudos :) to your success in search of harmo […]
Show full quote

I have to say that your persistence and hardware skills are something to admire. And kudos 😀 to your success in search of harmony for SCSI and EMS addons for 286!

Though I do have the knowledge to read schematics and understand digital logics, I have since groomed as a software guy. Back then in the college days, I even self-learned Protel PCB with auto-routing but was lacking the resources of accessing to hobbyist PCB build facilities. I had only done 2 PCBs in my life, and that was with primitive, laborious process of using marker pens, toxic chemical solution and manual drilling. (So then I said forget it 😵 ) I am OK with soldering which I still do today if needed. If I were to put in your situation, then I would have gone with writing the TSR to shadow the SCSI ROM.

I remember the pain of having early 286 without hardware EMS as my 1st PC as a kid was exactly such poor 286, in those days when there was no internet, no electronics superstores and computer sales person would knock on the door to make a deal. And I do realize the importance of EMS for 286 being the transitional gap between 8086 software and true protected-mode software for 386.

Hope you finally would get the design right and then the ROM on the SCSI can be disabled to use the 16-bit ROM card entirely.

Thank you

I've already corrected the schematic and PCB, I'll probably get a revised board made next time I do an order. It will get done up right at some point, but I'm just happy the system is working properly for now.

Reply 166 of 167, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you find a way to make a software to shadow these roms including bios into upper memory. This will increase much more and does not use up the memory either as the address are re-directed to the memory space.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 167 of 167, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote:

If you find a way to make a software to shadow these roms including bios into upper memory. This will increase much more and does not use up the memory either as the address are re-directed to the memory space.

Cheers,

there is no upper memory on this system 🤣