VOGONS

First post, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I just started building my first retro PC and am having problems getting Creative AudioPCI (CT4810) working under DOS.

Goal: Setup dual boot PC with Win98SE and WinXP. Play native Windows games. Play DOS games launched from Win98. I’m ok if some DOS games don’t work as long as reasonable number of them do. Nice to have: play DOS games launched from DOS prompt.

For testing I tried: Doom 1.25, Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 1.4c, Legend of Kyrandia

I tried setup with two separate systems

Asus A7N8X Deluxe revision 2, Athlon 2500+, ATI 9800 PRO
Nforce 2 Ultra chipset
Disabled SATA on board, in BIOS disabled onboard audio, 1394
Under XP:
I let Windows install default Windows driver. Sounds works for WinXP games. DOS games have either no audio or low quality audio (Doom).
Under Win98SE:
I installed Creative Ensoniq driver, which also installs DOS driver. I can see that it modified autoexec.bat and config.sys
Win98 games play sound just fine and two or three of the four DOS games launched from Win98 play sound as well – Kyrandia doesn’t, Doom does, Prince of Persia does, can't remember Wolfenstein.
Games launched from DOS prompt play no sound.
Btw, I also tried using NForce integreated audio and could never get sound working in Win98 native games, drivers installed, device manager showed them, but no sound in Windows.

Asus A7V8X-X revision 1, Athlon 2500+, ATI 9800 PRO
KT400 chipset
Disabled in BIOS onboard audio
Under XP
I let Windows install default Windows driver. Sounds works for WinXP games. DOS games have either no audio or low quality audio (Doom).
Under Win98SE:
I installed Creative Ensoniq driver, which also installs DOS driver. I can see that it modified autoexec.bat and config.sys
Win98 games play sound just fine
DOS games launched from Windows have no sound.
Games launched from DOS prompt play no sound.
Then I tried to install SBPCI DOS drivers that I downloaded here on Vogons, they install into c:\dosdrv. These produce no sound as well.
Also tried every single PCI slot just in case.

Overall it looks like I had more success with the A7N8X setup and getting DOS sound work at least for some DOS games launched from windows. This surprised me as I read somewhere on this forum that NForce2 chipsets don’t work well with DOS drivers for PCI audio. Interestingly it was the KT400 chipset that produced no sound at all under DOS or windowed DOS.

When using the A7V8X board and Creative/Ensoniq DOS driver, when I execute:

SBCFG.exe I get the following:

PCI Hardware:
Port = D800, IRQ=10
Sound Blaster 16 Emulation:
Port=220, IRQ=7, DMA=1, DMA16=7
MPU-401 Emulation:
Port=330, IRQ=7
AdLib Emulation:
Port=388

SBTEST.exe:
Sound Blaster PCI Legacy Test Utility, Ver 4.34D.
Detecting SB…
Error: could not reset SB16

When using the A7V8X board and SBPCI DOS drivers downloaded from Vogons library,when I execute:

SBTEST.exe:
Sound Blaster PCI Legacy Test Utility, Ver 4.34D.
Detecting SB…
Error: could not r^set SB16

Booting directly to DOS Propmt shows that loading finished without errors, I see that it loaded

C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM

So at this point I’m quite exhausted trying out different things, but based on what I’ve read I thought I would be able to get the Ensoniq AudioPCI working reasonably well. I only have one more board to try (Pentium4), but it will be a while before I get to it. Right now I think I’ll settle for the Nforce2 Board knowing I can only play DOS games launched from Windows.

Any advice on what else I could try.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always maintained that if you want to play DOS games under DOS, then build a proper DOS system, which in this case means a system with at least one ISA slot with an ISA sound card installed.

Regardless, I believe in order for Creative Audio PCI to work properly under DOS, your motherboard must support DDMA and you must have EMM386.EXE loaded.

If you have the parts, my suggestion would be to build up a Socket 370 (Pentium III) or early Socket A (AMD Athlon) system with at least one ISA slot and install an ISA sound card.

Reply 2 of 12, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went into it knowing that pure DOS sound is unlikely, but was hoping to at least get sound for DOS games that can run in Win98 window, or is that assumption incorrect? Reading Vogons thread I found that NForce2 chipset doesn't suport DDMA, yet I get sound when launching DOS games from Win98, just not from DOS Prompt. And then my other board that runs VIA VT8235 SouthBridge and I thought supports DDMA doesn't produce any sound at all when launching DOS games from Win98. I'm perfectly content concluding that it's a rabit hole pursuing PCI Sound in DOS, but I was puzzled by my observations. Is there any refernce guide that would list which chipsets/boards support DDMA. Also, I read that some more modern boards with ISA don't actually provide "full" support for ISA sound (not sure the right technical reason), is there a list somewhere that would list which modern chipsets/boards do not support ISA sound?

Regarding "early Socket A Athlon" motherboard, if it has ISA slot, can I assume it will work with ISA sound under DOS or are there some other potential incompatibilities with these more modern ISA motherboards? I would love to stick with Socket A as I have two Athlon XP CPUs (1600 and 2500+) and nice quiet cooler to go with them, but my guess is "early boards" won't support my Athlon XP CPUs.

If I pursue any other socket type. Any recommendations for a board that has ISA and 1.5V AGP so that I can reuse my ATI9800 Pro?

Thank you.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 3 of 12, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of these cards and have used it for real DOS without any problems. One of the issues I had trying to get it to work was that there seemed to be quite a few different versions of drivers claiming to support the card, but not all of them worked for me with my card (a pre-Creative card from the Ensoniq days).

I can't remember right now exactly which driver I used, and couldn't guarantee that the same one would be the right one for your card, but with any luck I should have kept a copy of the good driver somewhere safe. I'll try to have a dig for it when I'm home and report back.

Reply 4 of 12, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WildW wrote:

I'll try to have a dig for it when I'm home and report back.

Thanks a lot WildW.

Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
etc.

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using actual Ensoniq drivers instead of Creative's garbage. They are very different. The former is SB Pro compatible and the latter is SB16 compatible (and shit).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 12, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Try using actual Ensoniq drivers instead of Creative's garbage. They are very different. The former is SB Pro compatible and the latter is SB16 compatible (and shit).

Which one from this list should I try:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=45,36

Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
etc.

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
p6889k wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Which one from this list should I try:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=45,36

I'd try this first: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=45,36

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
p6889k wrote:

Regarding "early Socket A Athlon" motherboard, if it has ISA slot, can I assume it will work with ISA sound under DOS or are there some other potential incompatibilities with these more modern ISA motherboards?

Yes, I see no reason why. At that point, ISA slots were actually still being included for backwards compatibility and should work fine with most ISA sound cards. Just take note that some of the early Sound Blasters (and their clones) do not behave well on fast PC's (like a Pentium III or AMD Athlon).

p6889k wrote:

I would love to stick with Socket A as I have two Athlon XP CPUs (1600 and 2500+) and nice quiet cooler to go with them, but my guess is "early boards" won't support my Athlon XP CPUs.

No, early Athlon boards unfortunately do not support the later Athlon XP CPU's. I'm not an expert in what would be regarded as the best AMD Athlon motherboards but, I haven't come across Athlon XP motherboards that also has an ISA slot (I stand to be corrected). The only one that I had in my collection was the Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 but, this is an early Athlon motherboard. It does, however, have two ISA slots.

p6889k wrote:

If I pursue any other socket type. Any recommendations for a board that has ISA and 1.5V AGP so that I can reuse my ATI9800 Pro?

There are quite a number of Socket 370 boards (if you want to stick with a Pentium III). However, only later boards had full 4x AGP support and was AGP 2.0 compliant (and still had ISA slots). I can't recall now if the very latest Pentium III boards also supported AGP 8x. One such board in my collection (that supports AGP 4x) is the Gigabyate GA-6VXC7-4X but, there should be many more. However, since the ATI9800 Pro is an AGP 8x card, it is probably better suited for an AMD Athlon XP (or even AMD Athlon64) and Pentium IV based system.

Reply 9 of 12, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My apologies, but I was unable to find the drivers I've used in the past as I'm not using that card any more and apparently I didn't keep the drivers somewhere safe.

I would echo the comments of others that the older Ensoniq drivers were the ones to go for - I'm sure that's what I used, and that none of the Creative ones worked for me.

Reply 10 of 12, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I tried to install these drivers:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.ph%20...%20tate=45,36
and didn't get very far. Upon boot to DOS when APINIT.COM runs it gives me an error that no PCI card was found. Do I need to make any changes to the c:\audiopci\sndscape.ini file?

Additionally:
I switched back from Asus A7V8X to using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe board with NForce2 chipset and the Ensoniq AudioPCI card. Upon testing some more games, it seem that many of the DOS games that launch from Windows UI have sound, e.g. GP2, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia. When I launched sound setup from GP2, it autodetected the audio as SoundBlaster Pro: Port 220 IRQ 5 DMA 1.

Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
etc.

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The tricks the PCI sound cards use to do ISA sound card emulation are problematic and it sounds like nforce2 is not a good choice. Interesting that it works in Windows.

Try searching the forum. There have been loads of threads about PCI sound card DOS emulation and compatibility with motherboards.

Reply 12 of 12, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I also have one of these cards, well it is onboard audio in a Gateway 2000. I struggled with installing drivers until I found a post made by PhilsComputerLab which includes the drivers and all. I wasn't expecting much from onboard audio but I was gobsmacked. The drivers he links too are set to use the biggest soundfont file with the best sounds and they are stunning...in some games and some not. Depends on what games you like playing. The Dooms, Hexen, Heretic, Blood, DUke3D etc all sound fantastic. Here is the link to that page if anybody wants it.

Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI