VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox 0.65 is AMAZING

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's stable. Play Source engine games and Doom 3/Quake 4 for hours.

Edit: Yep, it's certainly due to OpenGL. I can pretty much make it hardware reset at will by switching from windowed to full screen a few times. No such problem with ddraw. There is a warning in the readme about OpenGL, but this never happened before. Maybe it's a combination of the new drivers or something. Either way it's sucky, no triple buffering. Shame the Direct3D patch never got into the final as it also provided triple buffering in a more windows friendly way... oh well.

Reply 41 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
I take offense in these words :) There is no scripting in U7, there is usecode which controls everything and usecode works very […]
Show full quote

still very lacking in some areas such as scripting and enemy AI

I take offense in these words 😀
There is no scripting in U7, there is usecode which controls everything and usecode works very well, you can even write your own usecode now and run that. Enemy AI is almost as bad as the original's.
It IS still very lacking in schedules and stealing and recently we found that the annoying sfx in the original aren't all played back (firesword), though 😀

I'm sorry man....I keep forgetting your the same Dominus. 😅 Insert foot in mouth or what?

However all the little things that are missing or quirky add up and make U7 hard for me to play on Exult. The subtle things such as stealing and enemy behavior are what I love about the game and it hurts me when I noticed Exult was lacking in those departments. Other than that its an amazing program.....hell, for those who don't care about those things its perfect.

However....Ultima VII being my fav game of all time, its hard for me to swallow any problems or lacking features. Although if it means anything to you....I find myself always trying to right click to close windows and realizing its an exult feature only.... 😁

Reply 42 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

he he, for me it's the other way round. I just can't stand playing the original anymore. All the little extras Exult adds to the game make me go crazy when I play the original. But for testing purposes Dosbox get heavily used 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 44, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkfalz wrote:

Edit: Yep, it's certainly due to OpenGL. I can pretty much make it hardware reset at will by switching from windowed to full screen a few times. No such problem with ddraw. There is a warning in the readme about OpenGL, but this never happened before. Maybe it's a combination of the new drivers or something. Either way it's sucky, no triple buffering. Shame the Direct3D patch never got into the final as it also provided triple buffering in a more windows friendly way... oh well.

Well, good that that's (halfways) solved. Personally I've found "surface" to work at least as well as ddraw. But maybe that's because I'm running on a pretty old card (Matrox G400).

tearex