VOGONS

Reply 60 of 124, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote:

I agree that eBay is a sh*thole now, though. As a seller, I can't even leave a negative review anymore when one of my buyers doesn't pay. I can only leave a positive review.

Ebay has been fully on the side of "buyers" for many years, now. If you file complaints about their policies on their forums, you either get ignored, or if too many people pay attention to you, you get slapped hard. I quit selling almost a decade ago, as I genuinely can't afford to be cheated. I've got things I want to sell, yes, but there are many, many cases of scammers claiming they never got their items, even when the seller has proof from the shipping service provider, and Ebay just takes their money away and gives it to the scammer anyway.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 61 of 124, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stopped using ebay as a seller long ago. Their buyer-centric policies will be their downfall. They are no longer an auction house anymore anyway, just a regular marketplace like so many others. Fuck eBay. (Yes I still buy when I can find something for cheap)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 124, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:

What I think we're lacking here is a standard or guidelines that are solid enough to say xx is worth this much and yy is worth this much and actually be able to justify the pricing.

There are many variables / factors that determine the value of something, in particular when it comes to classic computer (parts). It's not just condition, but also how complete something is, how desirable an item is (think of its features and/or its rarity), where it is being offered (thrift shop, ebay), who it offers (think of feedback, related items), whether any warranty applies, whether shipping is an option, maybe a story / history behind an item, economical value that an item may still have etc. All these factors make it quite impossible to compose a proper price guideline.

I have paid almost pennies for some things that are being considered very valuable by some and paid astronomical sums considered by some for not so special items. In the end we are looking at things that are not mass produced anymore, many that have no economical value anymore, so it's really whatever someone is willing to pay it.

Reply 63 of 124, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me. It is not the prices as such, that are the most crazy part of this hobby. It is mostly the buyer in my country. The think stuff should be free. Yes. That is right.

Lets take eBay as the referance...

If I want to sell a card, that are generally worth 46 euro on eBay. Then I usually slash the price by 20 percent, selling the thing at 80 percent of the general market price.

Then buyers usually start by asking if they can buy it for 20 euro. Even though I explicitly state that the price is fixed and if lowering, then I will decide when.

If I start with offering the card at 20 even though it is worth 46 euro, people start by asking if they can buy for 5 euro. A couple of years ago, I had an GUS ACE for sale, boxed and complete at 133 euro. And people thought they could have it for 10 euro. They all said that they did not want to pay more because it was old.

And even then, they do not want to pay the shipping cost and if it is a complete 486 computer, they want me to take the train and deliver for free. Even when the ticket cost as much as 60 euro.

Some buyers just think they can have it for nothing or just a few euro's. Especially premium grade stuff like Voodoo3-3500, GUS and complete AT class systems.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 64 of 124, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

They all said that they did not want to pay more because it was old.

that's probably the same people that want to then resell and ask ridiculous prices for it 🤣

I don't sell things usually, I can't deal with people, when I buy something it usually stays with me... sometimes trading stuff with other likeminded people on forums.

I'd also feel bad selling others "old hardware" for prices like that... even if it's theoretically worth that much especially if I got it much cheaper myself... I'm not really into the whole capitalism thing :p

Reply 65 of 124, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
brostenen wrote:

They all said that they did not want to pay more because it was old.

that's probably the same people that want to then resell and ask ridiculous prices for it 🤣

I think that is more than half of the "low ballers", they want to resell it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 66 of 124, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

astronomical sums

Yeah, speaking of those.... Your shop - mentioned in your signature - has them...Everywhere. Care to elaborate how you ended up with those prices?

https://classiccomputershop.eu/hardware/systems/PC

Holy guacemole, Batman.

200EUR+ for a Tecra/Satellite, any Tecra/Satellite, is just off the charts.
100EUR for a ViRGE, really?
System with 1,8Ghz Celeron, 500EUR.
"Custom" system with a Celeron 400Mhz, 400EUR
Compaq with a 66Mhz 486, also 500EUR.
A 14" HP CRT, 340EUR

Am I missing something here? Have I accidentally stepped into a time machine to the year 2057?

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2019-11-30, 16:31. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 67 of 124, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

Or they aren't from the US and think they can lower the price to a level they have in their country.
I do this sometimes when I want the item but not at all costs. Worst case scenario they reject the offer so I don't really care.
It works half the time with resellers. Last time it was an MCA ethernet adapter I wanted for my IBM.
Original price was $35, I offered $15 and was accepted immediately. It was still more than the prices of MCA adapters on local markets: $3 for MCA SCSI interface and $5 for a multiprotocol adapter. They are very rare though so I happily paid $15 for that ethernet controller.
Sometimes you have to try to win.

Reply 68 of 124, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote:
Or they aren't from the US and think they can lower the price to a level they have in their country. I do this sometimes when I […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote:

Or they aren't from the US and think they can lower the price to a level they have in their country.
I do this sometimes when I want the item but not at all costs. Worst case scenario they reject the offer so I don't really care.
It works half the time with resellers. Last time it was an MCA ethernet adapter I wanted for my IBM.
Original price was $35, I offered $15 and was accepted immediately. It was still more than the prices of MCA adapters on local markets: $3 for MCA SCSI interface and $5 for a multiprotocol adapter. They are very rare though so I happily paid $15 for that ethernet controller.
Sometimes you have to try to win.

Is why I said more than half, meaning: not all but most 😊 me too have offered less on a few items that I really wanted and have gotten them at or just above my offer price with a little negotiation.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 69 of 124, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Yeah, speaking of those.... Your shop - mentioned in your signature - has them...Everywhere. Care to elaborate how you ended up […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

astronomical sums

Yeah, speaking of those.... Your shop - mentioned in your signature - has them...Everywhere. Care to elaborate how you ended up with those prices?

Holy guacemole, Batman.

A 14" HP CRT, 340EUR

Am I missing something here? Have I accidentally stepped into a time machine to the year 2057?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116bd8ec96266f7741365b4f713a698836f79ca5cd&rid=giphy.gif

That's a whole new level of what the f***.

Reply 70 of 124, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2800 (+) euro for an industrial 486? Hmmm.... Uhmmmm... If that is how we play it, then who wants to buy my 5x86 at a price of 2200 euro? No? No one? Well, that is completely understandable. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 71 of 124, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SSTV2 wrote:
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS/giphy.gif?cid=790b76116bd8ec96266f7741365b4f713a698836f79ca5cd&rid=giphy.gif […]
Show full quote
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Yeah, speaking of those.... Your shop - mentioned in your signature - has them...Everywhere. Care to elaborate how you ended up […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

astronomical sums

Holy guacemole, Batman.

A 14" HP CRT, 340EUR

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116bd8ec96266f7741365b4f713a698836f79ca5cd&rid=giphy.gif

That's a whole new level of what the f***.

The crazy thing about that is most of the shit on that page is junk, at least compared to my stuff, which isn't exactly all of that either compared to some of the stuff I see people have on this forum, like Feipoa, anonymous coward, etc. etc and others, and none of us paid those kinda of prices for what we have. 🤣

Reply 72 of 124, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

2800 (+) euro for an industrial 486? Hmmm.... Uhmmmm... If that is how we play it, then who wants to buy my 5x86 at a price of 2200 euro? No? No one? Well, that is completely understandable. 😁

And here I am working for pennies like a sucker while sitting on €50K worth of stuff!

Reply 73 of 124, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Touché. I'd pay not more than 250 euros for this so-called industrial 486. Some people are just insane.

I remember one time when I bought my (non-functional) Compaq Armada 1700, some guy wanted to buy it from me for 900 euros... It still baffles me to this day, 900 euros for a broken laptop... 😖 can you believe it? Personally, I can't.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 74 of 124, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is it relevant what you guys think is too expensive to buy / sell? Anybody’s finances beyond your own are none of your business I’d argue, and commenting on them is poor form.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 75 of 124, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

How is it relevant what you guys think is too expensive to buy / sell? Anybody’s finances beyond your own are none of your business I’d argue, and commenting on them is poor form.

Badmojo, I've noticed this particular topic (i.e. discussion about prices) seems to be your one of your pet peeves 🤣

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 76 of 124, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Were the ones who would buy it? if the only people who see value in such things think people are out of their minds no one else is going to buy it?

There is some collectable and valuable items but most of it isn't and the problem is just that. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain. Just because something is old doesn't make it more valuable. Just because something says IBM doesn't make it more valuable, when nobody who is interest in IBM or collecting IBM is looking for that model but hey it says IBM and its old so it must be worth 1 million dollars no. Then this kinda attitude ends up raising the prices of everything else including the more valuable things. Because this crappy IBM that no one cares about is 1 million dollars my half way decent one must be worth 10 million.

The point other people made is I honestly don't remember anyone back in the day at least thinking celerons were good. But hey its old, the box is white has some patina it must be worth 1000s of dollars. 🤣

Reply 78 of 124, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

we can blame the seller but the buyer gives the seller a reason to keep selling things at inflated prices. just. dont. buy. it! bleed them out until they realise they gotta drop their prices. easier said than done, i know...

i can respect someone who maintains/cleans/refurbishes old cards in need of some TLC, those people get a pass. if you're one of these people, high 5 yourself and enjoy a coffee. 👍

Reply 79 of 124, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sarcasm > Wow I just under paid for that P2 350Mhz cpu at $7 with shipping, maybe I should return it and buy one of his for 20euro + shipping.

If someone wants to charge 4X or more the real market value then that is their business or probably lack of business. It does average out to others over time and raises prices to everyone as you said Warlord. If I were to sell off my prized stuff (that I really do not want to sell) I would also charge more than going rate but include a disclaimer that it is from my private museum and not for sale but if you want it, it will cost you......