VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31440 of 52775, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a Linksys SE2800 (yes is not vintage BUT does work with 10Mbit ethernet), a 2006 Mitsumi ext USB floppy and bag of mixed adapters: 3: PS/2 KB to AT, 2: ps2 mouse to DB9, one AT KB to PS/2 adapter and one that is male PS/2 to male DB9 . Not a very vintage purchase but best I could find at GoodWill, cost was $10 total.

Also bought a motherboard off Ebay from a seller (who had near 100 positives and been a member for over 3 years, no negatives) early yesterday. Then today got notification package was shipped and got tracking #. After I got off work 9 hours later went to send seller a message and it says his Ebay ID is "no longer a registered eBay user". WTF ? Well hopefully he sent the item since he got my money....

Attachments

• IMG_0618s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0618s.jpg
    File size
    863.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31441 of 52775, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

some nos 68 pin 10k scsi drives. no more sca adapters for me.

scsi.hard.drives.jpg
Filename
scsi.hard.drives.jpg
File size
489.84 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31442 of 52775, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find ! Most Quantum 10k are SCA, have run into a few that were UW but not often.
The bottom look same as IBM Ultra-Stars

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31443 of 52775, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote:

Nice find ! Most Quantum 10k are SCA, have run into a few that were UW but not often.
The bottom look same as IBM Ultra-Stars

i'm very leery of buying used mechanical components and prefer new whenever possible.
most of the sellers on ebay that know the difference between 68 pin and 80 pin sca charge much more for the 68 pin.
only the compaq had photos showing the 68 pin connector and i didn't really even want that one but, the price wasn't bad $35 so what the hell bought that one too.
a little research on the others confirmed they were 68 pin and not insanely priced. $40 each for the hp and $50 for the quantum.
finally got a working scsi cd-r drive as well. not exactly what i wanted but, the first 2 supposedly new in box ones were extremely used and defective so i had to return them.

settled on a used panasonic cw-7502 cd-r and it works great.

hopefully have the final build ready for you guys in a week or two.

scsi.cd-r.jpg
Filename
scsi.cd-r.jpg
File size
117.82 KiB
Views
File license
scsi.cd-r.top.jpg
Filename
scsi.cd-r.top.jpg
File size
574.55 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31444 of 52775, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WQgtPwo.jpg

Got this Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 (Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra 32MB) for 5 euros, and seller has even added a free bonus ati rage pro turbo... Heatsink seems to have come off during delivery tho, but chip underneath looks intact

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 31445 of 52775, by Ashley98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New in From this and last week

ATI Crossfire Cable for X18xx/X19xx/X19xx Series
https://i.imgur.com/WsPywGK.jpg

Radeon 9500 64MB with L shapped memory. Very weird card since its 9700 PCB did try to unlock the disabled pipes but they were faulty
https://i.imgur.com/sAj4j1a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K1sSKbS.jpg

Albatron KX18D Pro Nforce 2 400 Ultra
https://i.imgur.com/T2jtKUN.jpg

Reply 31446 of 52775, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bought another 10+kg box full of stuff even though I still haven't sorted everything ^^

got it mainly for this card and a nakamichi 5 disc CD-rom changer 😀

hardware34_09.jpg
Filename
hardware34_09.jpg
File size
299.65 KiB
Views
File license

is it possible to fix scratched up ICs like that without destroying the markings? is such a nice card otherwise.

Last edited by imi on 2019-12-04, 11:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31447 of 52775, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote:

Also bought a motherboard off Ebay from a seller (who had near 100 positives and been a member for over 3 years, no negatives) early yesterday. Then today got notification package was shipped and got tracking #. After I got off work 9 hours later went to send seller a message and it says his Ebay ID is "no longer a registered eBay user". WTF ? Well hopefully he sent the item since he got my money....

Ebay likely banned him. The list of things that can get you banned on eBay is nuts. I seen people banned from ebay for using public wifi a banned user used it once, registering a car in your name that once belonged to a banned eBay user, moving to address that a banned ebay user lived at.
Even being a victim of a scammer or selling items eBay believes will put you at a higher risk them most sellers can get you banned.

Reply 31448 of 52775, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few AMD 486dx2-66 CPU's
and Some Intel bunnies ( Colors I did not have )

Attachments

• AMD-486dx266.jpeg
    Filename
    AMD-486dx266.jpeg
    File size
    190.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • intel bunnies-3.jpeg
    Filename
    intel bunnies-3.jpeg
    File size
    414.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • intel bunnies-2.jpeg
    Filename
    intel bunnies-2.jpeg
    File size
    313.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • intel bunnies -4.jpeg
    Filename
    intel bunnies -4.jpeg
    File size
    216.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31449 of 52775, by DocFreud

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up this Apple 820-0026-C 605-X105 Encoder Card for 50 cents 😀 Not sure what to do with it though...

DSC_0362_1.JPG
Filename
DSC_0362_1.JPG
File size
445.42 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31450 of 52775, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun (CMI8738) to try it in my Super Socket 7 PC. I haven't quite made up my mind as to whether to use 2 different sound cards for DOS and Windows or to use one ISA sound card that works in both operating systems.

One big plus of Aureon 5.1 Fun is that I can connect it to my desktop DAC with an optical cable.

Reply 31451 of 52775, by DocFreud

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also got this "Number Nine" PCI VGA card for 1 euro. I've already trade it for CMOS battery replacement and some resoldering of an old motherboard with 80286 CPU 😀

DSC_0397_1.JPG
Filename
DSC_0397_1.JPG
File size
791.68 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31452 of 52775, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

bought another 10+kg box full of stuff even though I still haven't sorted everything ^^
got it mainly for this card and a nakamachi 5 disc CD-rom changer 😀
is it possible to fix scratched up ICs like that without destroying the markings? is such a nice card otherwise.

You can try some Iso Alc, it will not remove the markings and might make that bios? chip look better. Nakamichi ! Nice audio gear !
Can you post a picture ? Would like to see the CDROM changer.
I have two Denon. One a DCM-340 and the other a DCM-360, both have Burr-Brown DACS and work/sound great after decades (the 360 has a man date of 1996).

Last edited by Horun on 2019-12-04, 03:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31453 of 52775, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dan86 wrote:
Horun wrote:

Ebay likely banned him. The list of things that can get you banned on eBay is nuts. I seen people banned from ebay for using public wifi a banned user used it once, registering a car in your name that once belonged to a banned eBay user, moving to address that a banned ebay user lived at.
Even being a victim of a scammer or selling items eBay believes will put you at a higher risk them most sellers can get you banned.

Sh*t ! well that sucks. All his reviews seemed ok and had been a member for a few years, he had a few probs with some items taking too much ship time but other than that nothing exotic. Thanks for the info ! I lost my orig, Ebay account due to inactivity a few years ago so know they can be brutal.

Reply 31454 of 52775, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only thing I found today (please do not laugh). A NOS 1993 CenDyne CDR for $3 at a Teen Challenge thrift store. Note: I am calling it NOS because it has no wear marks where it would be screwed in and no scuffs one the sides where it would have been slid in and out of a case.
Reads CDR fine, have yet to burn with it. Will go good with a late 478 or early 775 build.

Attachments

• IMG_0620s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0620s.jpg
    File size
    904.61 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31456 of 52775, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote:

Note: I am calling it NOS because it has no wear marks where it would be screwed in and no scuffs one the sides where it would have been slid in and out of a case.

I can see scuff marks even on the single picture that you've posted. One of the labels on top has scratches, which happens when inserting a drive below one other. Also, the front bezel shows some damage at the top left corner. It's not NOS. I wonder why this matters anyway.

ps: many more modern cases don't require screws, those from HP/Compaq for example.

pps: it's from 2003, not 1993.

Reply 31457 of 52775, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote:

You can try some Iso Alc, it will not remove the markings and might make that bios? chip look better. Nakamichi ! Nice audio gear !
Can you post a picture ? Would like to see the CDROM changer.
I have two Denon. One a DCM-340 and the other a DCM-360, both have Burr-Brown DACS and work/sound great after decades (the 360 has a man date of 1996).

yeah, every card is getting the IPA treatment anyways ^^

it's a CDROM changer for a single 5.25" slot, I was actually watching a nakamichi audio CD palyer too, but the price quickly surpassed what I was willing to pay ^^

hardware34_10.jpg
Filename
hardware34_10.jpg
File size
135.97 KiB
Views
File license
hardware34_11.jpg
Filename
hardware34_11.jpg
File size
137.79 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31458 of 52775, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally it arrived. This is a board I've been looking for for a long time now, but I finally have it..

MSI-KT3-Ultra2.jpg
MSI KT3 Ultra2

Three swollen 1000uF 6.3v Teapo caps need to be replaced (I would replace all of them but lazy). Also a DDR clip is missing but I doubt that would be a proplem for use.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31459 of 52775, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote:
dan86 wrote:
Horun wrote:

Sh*t ! well that sucks. All his reviews seemed ok and had been a member for a few years, he had a few probs with some items taking too much ship time but other than that nothing exotic. Thanks for the info ! I lost my orig, Ebay account due to inactivity a few years ago so know they can be brutal.

Hopefully the seller can still log in and get your shipping address to send the board