Topic actions

Reply 22 of 92, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

emacs

Eighty Megabytes And Constantly Swapping, and here we're talking about a machine with just 8 MB 😁

But seriously, some ancient Linux should work fine in text mode.
If you want GUI, then Windows 95, preferably the original release, not OSR2.

For OS/2 2.x or Warp 3, 8 MB is the very minimum - it will work, but slow.
Same with Linux+X11, I think.

And don't even think about Windows NT.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 23 of 92, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

which would run less shitty? win95 original or OS/2? I kind of hate windows 95 tbh so not sure how fun that would be

XENIX is looking like the best option right now

Reply 24 of 92, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote:

Give QNX a try? It's significantly less bloated than the other options listed here.

8MB might be a bit short and depending on what shadow option you can turn off in the Bios, but you can still try the floppy QNX demo disks if you want a taste of the GUI.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 25 of 92, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:

which would run less shitty? win95 original or OS/2?

OS/2 version 1.3 should run very reasonable, Win95 won't. OS/2 version 2.x will run as well and fully use the 386, but no idea about its speed. I never installed that version.

Reply 27 of 92, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote:

I think you may just not understand the power of vi 😀

Or the UX obscurity of ed, or TECO.

Ed, after all, is the standard text editor.
https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed-msg.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 28 of 92, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day I ran OS/2 Warp 3 on a 486DX-40 with 8MB RAM and it started paging right from the desktop, before loading any applications. You might reduce the life of your CF card that way. It was sort of usable but slow, Windows 95 was less memory hungry and felt faster on the same hardware.
I also tried Warp on a 386DX-33 with 12MB RAM and it was faster there, even when multitasking native OS/2 and Win 3.1 programs.

Reply 29 of 92, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jtchip wrote:

Back in the day I ran OS/2 Warp 3 on a 486DX-40 with 8MB RAM and it started paging right from the desktop, before loading any applications. You might reduce the life of your CF card that way. It was sort of usable but slow, Windows 95 was less memory hungry and felt faster on the same hardware.
I also tried Warp on a 386DX-33 with 12MB RAM and it was faster there, even when multitasking native OS/2 and Win 3.1 programs.

Thats absurd. OS/2 has nearly no pagefile usage compared to Win95.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30 of 92, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:

if I go for OS/2 it's going to be version 3 or bust, not very interested in messing around with the previous versions

Version 3 is far too new for a 386sx-16. It was released in late 1994 and will run just as bad as Windows 95.

What's wrong with OS/2 2.11 for example? Version 2 is not primitive by any means, take a look here: http://toastytech.com/guis/os220.html

Reply 31 of 92, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OS/2 2.0 has an incredibly modern UI and architecture for its time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 92, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, OS/2 2.0 is also a good contender. Despite me never using it back in the day, I did play around with it recently on PCem.

I'm also curious now how well OS/2 2.0 wil run on a 386SX-16.

Reply 33 of 92, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

if I go for OS/2 it's going to be version 3 or bust, not very interested in messing around with the previous versions

Version 3 is far too new for a 386sx-16. It was released in late 1994 and will run just as bad as Windows 95.

What's wrong with OS/2 2.11 for example? Version 2 is not primitive by any means, take a look here: http://toastytech.com/guis/os220.html

appiah4 wrote:

It does indeed, in fact it is almost indistinguishable from OS/2 version 3 GUI. Versions 2 and 3 have the same system requirements according to IBM, and their GUIs appear to be the same, so why bother with 2? What makes y'all think that 3 will run any worse, any actual experience or just because it's slightly newer?

Reply 34 of 92, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:
derSammler wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

appiah4 wrote:

It does indeed, in fact it is almost indistinguishable from OS/2 version 3 GUI. Versions 2 and 3 have the same system requirements according to IBM, and their GUIs appear to be the same, so why bother with 2? What makes y'all think that 3 will run any worse, any actual experience or just because it's slightly newer?

I ran OS/2 Warp version 3 on my 486DLC-40 with 4MB RAM back in the day but, despite IBM's system requirements, I doubt it will run satisfactory on a 386SX-16.
But, as I said before, since you're doing this for fun, try it.

Reply 35 of 92, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:

Versions 2 and 3 have the same system requirements according to IBM, and their GUIs appear to be the same, so why bother with 2?

Because the system requirements are just the (technical) minimum to run it, it says nothing about speed. The recommended system specs for version 3 are much higher than those for version 2.

Think about it, Windows 95 has the same system requirements as Windows 3.11 (apart from RAM, 3 MB vs. 4 MB). But you would not think that Win95 runs as fast as 3.11 because of that, would you?

Of course, no one holds you back trying OS/2 3.0 first, but don't say no one warned you. 😉

Reply 36 of 92, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
Because the system requirements are just the (technical) minimum to run it, it says nothing about speed. The recommended system […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote:

Versions 2 and 3 have the same system requirements according to IBM, and their GUIs appear to be the same, so why bother with 2?

Because the system requirements are just the (technical) minimum to run it, it says nothing about speed. The recommended system specs for version 3 are much higher than those for version 2.

Think about it, Windows 95 has the same system requirements as Windows 3.11 (apart from RAM, 3 MB vs. 4 MB). But you would not think that Win95 runs as fast as 3.11 because of that, would you?

Of course, no one holds you back trying OS/2 3.0 first, but don't say no one warned you. 😉

I appreciate the warning. If I go through the whole process of installing an OS and end up with a wholly unusable pile of shit it will be decidedly unfun.

Just wanted to make sure the ver2/3 thing was backed up by first hand experience, not assumptions that's all.

Reply 39 of 92, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/os2-history/os2-2-1-and-2-11/

OS/2 2.0 came with Windows 3.0, version 2.1 shipped with Windows 3.1

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/os2-history/os2-timeline/

OS/2 2.1—May 1993—Codename Borg (previously Yawl)
Internal revision 6.514 (93/04/12), XR02010
Win-OS/2 based on Windows 3.1