VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone please help me with getting Frederik Pohl's Gateway to run together with SOFTMPU?

I've got two ISA cards - Soundblaster 16 CT2940 and Yamaha YMF based one that I'm using only for its bugfree MPU interface. Right now I'm trying to get MT32 music from the game.

I'm booting into pure dos. To initialize the Yamaha card, I'm using Tiido's SETYMF utility. (to be clear, its own SETUPSA gets the same result). I'm puting the MPU interface to IRQ9, port 330. I've also disabled ACPI just to be sure. Then I launch SOFTMPU with /MPU:330 and /IRQ:9

After that I'm launching the game with MT32 9 330 parameters. It loads up, sends midi commands (I see the blinking light on Roland's USB midi interface) and MUNT on another PC running inside Falconsoft Midiplayer shows me MT32 messages (first "GATEWAY", then "LEGEND ENTERTAINMENT - GATEWAY") but that's all. When there is music should be playing it's silent. No midi commands being sent. Midiplayer also shows that there's nothing received during gameplay. Only when I type "QUIT" in the game to close it and confirm exit, the game sends another message to MT32 ("GATEWAY") and closes.

it behaves the same if I launch it with MT32 2 330. Does anyone know what the problem could be here? I've looked arount SoftMPU forums here and only thing I could find is that someone posts SoftMPU itself to get around the same problem, but that was in 2014 and if I understand correclty, it should've been fixed in the latest SoftMPU version. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: forgot to add that the system is in my signature - SLOT1 440BX motherboard with VIA C3

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 2 of 2, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, bjt! I do really appreciate your software. That's exactly what I did - I switched everything to CT2940's address, i.e. MPU, IRQ and SB port and it worked like a charm. It seems I did not completely understand how your utility works. Before that I simply launched it with Yamaha's MPU address without putting in IRQ and SB keys. It actually worked with SQ3 for example. Then I tried gateway and faced the aforementioned issue. If I understand correctly, the difference between these games is that one uses MPU IRQ interrupts and one does not. But when I configurue SoftMPU to use MPU, IRQ and SB port of Yamaha, it says that Soundblaster is not detected at the provided address. So I guess that it is a problem with Yamaha card (I've been using Tiido's KickÄss configuration utility, maybe I should try Yamaha's one).

But right now it works, so thank you!

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex