VOGONS

AMD K5 case basge/sticker

Topic actions

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did AMD K5 case badges or stickers exist? I haven't been able to find any such images on Google Image Search. Could someone share a photo of one, either official, or hobbyist produced? I'm nearing the end of my AMD K5-PR200 build and this case has an indention for a badge. Thanks!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 30, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know the K5 had no special logo. The best I've found was a simple text "AMD K5 (TM) Processor" with the AMD logo.

Attachments

• amd_k5.png
    Filename
    amd_k5.png
    File size
    1.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AMD K5 logo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 2 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CuPid wrote:

As far as I know the K5 had no special logo. The best I've found was a simple text "AMD K5 (TM) Processor" with the AMD logo.

Oh, that's not bad. Thank you.

Do you have it in a higher resolution?

Reply 3 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I *think* I remember seeing a K5 badge on a K5-133 system of some OEM make some 21+ years back but I hope I'm not confusing that with K6 badges since an emphasized number was involved (and i've seen plenty of k6 badges)... wish I had something concrete to share on hand about this.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CuPid wrote:

I like how they included "processor" in the logo.

I can't say I remember seeing a K5 badge. I don't remember knowing anyone in town with a K5. They were basically DOA. Even if the badge existed, most people would have been too embarrassed to stick it on the case. Did any OEMs use K5?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 30, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They used to have a lot of other stickers, that said PR rating where they claimed that it was as fast or the same as a Pentium. In addition there was usually a bunch of other stickers that said multimedia this or that. 🤣 This was especially prevalent on emachines and other low end PCs that used K5s.

Reply 9 of 30, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't intend to hijack the thread, but it is somehow related. I started designing a NexGen Nx586 badge.

I wonder if anyone has any image or marketing materials that could be used as a reference how the original badge looked like (if there was such a thing).

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 11 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@feipoa, this was part of their ad campaign at the time and might make an OK badge if hi-res'd

AMD_K-5 Logo.jpg
Filename
AMD_K-5 Logo.jpg
File size
44.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CuPid wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Do you have it in a higher resolution?

Sort of ... :blah:

http://download.cpuid.com/misc/k5_logo.zip

Thank you very much for this. This one looks the best to me. I only have a B&W laser printer, so I'll print it out a)original, b)inverted and see which looks best. Then compare it with a white 3dfx badge I'm also considering. I added a Voodoo2 to the case, so a 3dfx badge is not out of the question either.

Reply 13 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have added some print sheets for these K5 badges. Some are colour, some greyscale, some 1-bit. I printed them on somewhat thick printer paper, then put a thick clear piece of boxing tape over the print (not the cheap thin stuff). Then cut to size.

Filename
AMD_K5_Case_Badge_Print_Sheets.7z
File size
44.16 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license

I have enclosed a photo with each of my top pics on the K5 case. I've numbered the badges on the photo for easy reference. Which would you pick? For all my other cases, where this is a spot for a case badge, I have made or bought a badge which indicates the CPU used in the system. Using the 3dfx badge for the K5 case would break with the norm, but I don't have any other case with a 3dfx badge, so between numbers 1 & 2, I am having trouble deciding.

Within the limitation of these options, which would you go for if it was your system?

Which_badge_for_K5_build.jpg
Filename
Which_badge_for_K5_build.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 14 of 30, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the 2nd option. Plays nicely with the black turbo display.

I am inspired by the idea of making badge by using metallic tape & label maker as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYeIr1fPHHU

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 16 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the opinions. I am leaning towards the black K5 badge (2). But what if the 3dfx badge was black?

Label maker sticker over hvac aliminium tape ‘eh? The print resolution of the label maker isn’t that great, especially for smaller print. I recall being able to use a laser printer print on clear plastic sheets for use with lithography, so I wonder if these sheets can come with adhesive like the label maker? Or how about printing on the aluminium directly? Haven’t tried that but would it ruin the toner or drum unit? You could tape the edges of the aluminium tape to a standard sheet of paper.

Reply 17 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

his was especially prevalent on emachines and other low end PCs that used K5s.

emachines was founded in Septemeber 1998. I personally don't remember seeing them until 1999. I think it's basically impossible that emachines would have used K5s at that time. At worst they would have used K6-2, Winchips or maybe an MP6.
I don't think K5 was picked up by any major OEMs, which is why I asked if anyone knew of one. There's nothing on wiki. I couldn't find anything, anywhere. I read PC magazine at the time and I don't remember hearing of any back then either.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can I use my artist skills to roughly doodle from what I think I saw in 97-98?

Could be false memories or confusion with another badge, and oddly I do think some form of line shading was involved, or maybe it was speedlines because it was "fast" taking inspiration from Cyrix's 586 line?

I forgot the OEM make, but the case was a beige mid-tower at least. Could've been a local build with a custom sticker job for all I know...

I HOPE i'm not going crazy and this crappy rendition jogs some memories or something!!

amdk5allegedbrandlogobadge.png
Filename
amdk5allegedbrandlogobadge.png
File size
10.16 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT: USPTO does at least have a dead trademark listing of a 'typed drawing' for the AMD K5 filed in July 1995 but no image. 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Certainly looks 90's-ish. But to borrow the Cyrix speedlines, I don't know, seems too risky for business. Cyrix was a budget chip, might not be good for sales if AMD wanted to look more Cyrix like.

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-12-13, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.