VOGONS

First post, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm putting together a slot 1 machine and last night I ordered a Voodoo 3 3000 on ebay. Looking at the ram chips it seems like it might be 5ns ram. Does such a thing exist? I've never seen any better than 5.5 in person.

Attached is a pic from the auction where you can see the ram pretty good.

Attachments

• v3-5ns.jpg
    Filename
    v3-5ns.jpg
    File size
    288.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by pete8475 on 2019-12-23, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing out of ordinary. It may or may not overclock to 200Mhz, depending on graphic chip quality.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Nothing out of ordinary. It may or may not overclock to 200Mhz, depending on graphic chip quality.

Good stuff, 200mhz would indeed be a nice overclock.

Reply 3 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some V3 3000 wil OC to 200 MHz, even those with 6 or 5.5ns RAM. Hovewer with 5ns the chance is quite high. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 14, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:

Some V3 3000 wil OC to 200 MHz, even those with 6 or 5.5ns RAM. Hovewer with 5ns the chance is quite high. 😀

I second this. I had a voodoo3 years back with 5ms ram that overclocked well over 200mhz, Keep in mind I had a mild volt mod on the card. Without the volt mod it maxed out around 203mhz. I don't recall how high I went after the volt mod but I think it was around 215mhz.

Reply 5 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dan86 wrote:
havli wrote:

I second this. I had a voodoo3 years back with 5ms ram that overclocked well over 200mhz, Keep in mind I had a mild volt mod on the card. Without the volt mod it maxed out around 203mhz. I don't recall how high I went after the volt mod but I think it was around 215mhz.

Wow I bet the performance was quite good with that big of an overclock!

Reply 6 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The card came in today and I found it was getting scary hot with the standard passive cooler.

So I took off the cooler, cleaned off the thermal material that was on the chip and heatsink, replaced that with some CoolerMaster branded stuff and installed a small Vantec brand cooler onto the heatsink.

It now runs cool enough that I can touch the back of the PCB while it's running 3dmark, before it was too hot to touch.

I used 2 small black zip ties to attach the fan to the heatsink through the 2 unused mounting holes.

Here are some pics. Sorry about the poor quality, I'm very sick today.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0191.jpg
    File size
    605.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0189.jpg
    File size
    658.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0188.jpg
    File size
    508.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0187.jpg
    File size
    596.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying some overclocking.

Unstable at 200mhz, insta-crash in 3dMark99 and 2000, runs 99 at 195mhz but insta-crashes in 2000.

Stable at 190mhz in both, will try some Q3 or something later.

Reply 8 of 14, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You probably need a volt mod to get 200mhz stable unless you get lucky with a golden sample GPU. That's what I've come to understand through my readings.

My V3 is 6ns but behaves similarly, 190mhz seems stable, 195mhz boots but gets flaky under load. I only saw ~2 fps difference on a K6-3+ so I backed it down to 166.

Reply 9 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maestro wrote:

You probably need a volt mod to get 200mhz stable unless you get lucky with a golden sample GPU. That's what I've come to understand through my readings.

My V3 is 6ns but behaves similarly, 190mhz seems stable, 195mhz boots but gets flaky under load. I only saw ~2 fps difference on a K6-3+ so I backed it down to 166.

I'll see what I can pull up on that voltage mod, if it's a simply resistor or wire bridging to solder points I can probably do that. heh.

EDIT - I'm actually not having much luck finding good info on this mod, if you have a link to anything about that would be much appreciated.

Reply 10 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm actually not having much luck finding good info on this mod, if you have a link to anything about that would be much appreciated.

Here's a russian article with schematics:
https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/15283/Voodoo … _s_pristrastiem

Be warned though, you'll get only 10-15Mhz increase. So it's probably not worth the effort.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only v3 capable of breaking the 200mhz barrier I've had is one of the TV-out less COMPAQ 3500 cards that were selling for peanuts a few years ago. It can do 203 mhz without any additional cooling and 210mhz with a zip-tied 80mm fan, stable and all.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 12 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Here's a russian article with schematics: https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/15283/Voodoo … _s_pristrastiem […]
Show full quote

I'm actually not having much luck finding good info on this mod, if you have a link to anything about that would be much appreciated.

Be warned though, you'll get only 10-15Mhz increase. So it's probably not worth the effort.

Interesting, fairly readable using google chrome to translate.

Yeah 10mhz is not much, I may just leave it as is with the fan on there.

Reply 13 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Here's a russian article with schematics: https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/15283/Voodoo … _s_pristrastiem […]
Show full quote

Interesting, fairly readable using google chrome to translate.

Yeah 10mhz is not much, I may just leave it as is with the fan on there.

IMHO it's not worth gambling with your card's lifespan anymore. This was done 20 years ago mostly because hardware was advancing at a ridiculously fast pace, cards were worth peanuts after a year of release and people felt they deserved to get more value out of their money. Nowadays, using a 1ghz chip and cooling the card properly can outweigh whatever short term gains you can get from OCing it.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 14 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

IMHO it's not worth gambling with your card's lifespan anymore. This was done 20 years ago mostly because hardware was advancing at a ridiculously fast pace, cards were worth peanuts after a year of release and people felt they deserved to get more value out of their money. Nowadays, using a 1ghz chip and cooling the card properly can outweigh whatever short term gains you can get from OCing it.

Yeah that's how I'm feeling about it now, doesn't seem worthwhile.