VOGONS

Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 980 of 2069, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two Extron VSC 900 scan converters for $50 each. https://www.extron.com/product/vsc900ret

From what I can tell you can feed it almost any analog video signal and it will convert and scale it to almost any other format with optional genlocking, which makes it excellent for running passthrough on a DOS machine or almost any computer or game console and at the same time recording it through SDI.

It will not support 15khz refresh rates though. Bottoms out at 24khz. 🙁

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 981 of 2069, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A brand new iPhone SE because there will be no SE 2 and I can't stand big phones.

ipse.jpg
Filename
ipse.jpg
File size
95.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've been told that iOS is the best computer OS ever. Maybe I should add a bluetooth keyboard and make it my daily driver.

Reply 982 of 2069, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but you must succumb to the 8" phones with notches!

I'm with ya. I like the size of my Pixel 3a... any bigger and it's too much.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 983 of 2069, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really need to upgrade my phone. Yesterday, it kept locking up on me and I almost smacked it against something hard to break the phone. Pain in the ass this phone is since the Oreo upgrade of 2018. I have about 3GB space free on my phone and it still runs too darn slow after a reboot or if the battery is lower than 45% daily. I do a data and app backup every week, so when the time is right, I'll be upgrading to a phone that won't slowdown after an OS upgrade. My Nexus 7 2013 32GB Wi-Fi tablet runs faster than my phone and that tablet has been rooted, custom ROM installed (AOSP 8.1), and auto-trim.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 985 of 2069, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a XEON 1680 v2 as my final CPU upgrade for my x79 based system. 8-core with 25MB L3 cache.

Way better than the highest consumer unlocked CPU for this setup, which would have been a 4960x - 6-core with 15MB L3 cache.

Currently overclocked to 4.61Ghz. Need a watercooling setup to go any higher.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 987 of 2069, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FuzzyLogic wrote:

A brand new iPhone SE because there will be no SE 2 and I can't stand big phones.

ipse.jpg

I've been told that iOS is the best computer OS ever. Maybe I should add a bluetooth keyboard and make it my daily driver.

I'm currently on an iPhone 7; how is the SE compared to 7 spec-wise and size-wise?

Also, are there any good SE sized Android alternatives? I don't particularly enjoy iOS..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 988 of 2069, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

how are your temps?

With Prime95 stress test it gets up to 83C before it freaks out.

Never gonna see these temps in real world usage so not worried about how it is now.

In games I doubt I am even hitting 70C. Probably more like 60-65C max.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 990 of 2069, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After messing around with my Sennheiser earbuds for the umpteenth time because the cable kept breaking and I kept resoldering it, I finally broke down and bought some bluetooth headphones:

JBL Free X for about 100€. So far I'm pretty pleased with the whole experience because I'm one of those people who always get their cables caught on stuff. The JBLs are not gonna win any awards as far as sound quality is concerned, but since I mostly listen to podcasts and rock/pop stuff it's not a big deal. The fit is snug and comfortable (if you can stand in-ears) and battery life for the recharging creche is very generous at about 20 hours.

jbl-free-kabellos-in-ear-kopfhoerer-ladecase-jbl-freexblkbt-schwarz9.jpg

Reply 991 of 2069, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are they comfortable? They don't look particularly ergonomic..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 992 of 2069, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, they're surprisingly comfortable. It's a bit unintuitive but you put the buds in and then you sort of adjust the for by screwing the whole thing in until they sit all snug. They also come with a extra rubber cover against sweat but so far I haven't used it.

Reply 993 of 2069, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if this is the right place to ask - but I'm planning to buy a ps3 just to play rdr1 and some sony's exclusive back in the days, but I've heard about the PS3 emulator that keeps getting better now, they can run most games at 30fps. so should I just wait for an emulator and save some money or buy ps3? most ps3 here are a bit expensive, 200$+ for second-handed super slim.

Reply 994 of 2069, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pote2639 wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask - but I'm planning to buy a ps3 just to play rdr1 and some sony's exclusive back in the days, but I've heard about the PS3 emulator that keeps getting better now, they can run most games at 30fps. so should I just wait for an emulator and save some money or buy ps3? most ps3 here are a bit expensive, 200$+ for second-handed super slim.

I've heard that the XBox 360 version of RDR looks better. Don't know if that information helps tho.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 995 of 2069, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Solarstorm wrote:
pote2639 wrote:

I've heard that the XBox 360 version of RDR looks better. Don't know if that information helps tho.

Oh yeah, I live in Asian country wherea xbox ain't popular and it's really hard to find one here, most of them are even more overpriced than playstation.

Reply 996 of 2069, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:
For a custom case I'm working on. These rocker switches are laser etched w/ blue backlight LED's. […]
Show full quote

For a custom case I'm working on. These rocker switches are laser etched w/ blue backlight LED's.

9YXpLzNh.jpg

Those look great. Did you have those custom made? If so from where?

Reply 997 of 2069, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beastlike wrote:
wiretap wrote:
For a custom case I'm working on. These rocker switches are laser etched w/ blue backlight LED's. […]
Show full quote

For a custom case I'm working on. These rocker switches are laser etched w/ blue backlight LED's.

9YXpLzNh.jpg

Those look great. Did you have those custom made? If so from where?

The restart switch is the only custom one that I put a logo on. The other two are just pre-made.

Links:
Design a custom switch -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N4C9GSH/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power switch -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPWYJNH/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Turbo switch -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCWQKMG/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the restart switch, you can specify to the seller you want a momentary switch instead of a toggle, or you can buy a horn switch like this and swap the faceplate from a customized toggle switch: https://www.amazon.com/HORN-STARK-Etched-Rock … tomotive&sr=1-5

You can also get a housing for the rocker switches to make installation in a case easier (i.e. cutting one large hole instead of a bunch of holes):
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Rocker-Switc … /dp/B010JGYF1O/
https://www.amazon.com/FXC-Waterproof-Aluminu … /dp/B081KVZDPZ/

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 998 of 2069, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Ryzen 5 1600AF (basically a 2600) edition and a B450 Tomahawk Max. Already have 16gb of ddr4 on hand, should be able to recoup most of my upgrade money by selling off my x58 stuff. My Asus board handles an OC great but iv gotten to the point where Im tired of the bios randomly losing my OC settings and going back through the archaic old bios to fix it.

Not to mention that the Ryzen chip doesnt suffer from all those intel security flaws, nor will it consume massive amounts of power when OC'd to 4.0ghz.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 999 of 2069, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally upgrading my PC after many years. Going

Ryzen 5 3600
ASRock B450 ATX
Noctua NH-D15
1TB NVME SSD
2 x 8tb HDD

I am replacing a haswell 4690k. I do a lot of emulation, so I am excited for the extra threads and increase in IPC.

Going to take my old components and turn it into a super charged XP machine 😁.