VOGONS

First post, by stelth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi i have this toshiba 430 pro cdt model and when i try to turn on it shows nothing for the first 10 seconds,then the screen turns green and it stays like this forever,i tried to restart it with ctr+ alt+ del but still doesn't respond,is the HDD broken? when i turned on last year it was working and the OS ran without problems

Last edited by stelth on 2019-12-10, 20:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for running old windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 11, by stelth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stelth wrote:

hi i have this toshiba 430 pro cdt model and when i try to turn on it shows nothing for the first 10 seconds,then the screen turns green and it stays like this forever,i tried to restart it with ctr+ alt+ del but still doesn't respond,is the HDD broken? when i turned on last year it was working and the OS ran without problems

any suggestions?

Reply 5 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

possibly bad system memory. If you remove the HDD and turn it on without it, that can eleminate if its the hdd or not. If you have more than 1 stick of ram or other modules try single stick swap modules. Other possibility is dead cmos battery but id be surprised if it caused screen corruption. It could be all 3 of these things together. But I would resolve all three questions before id think its something else.

Reply 6 of 11, by stelth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

possibly bad system memory. If you remove the HDD and turn it on without it, that can eleminate if its the hdd or not. If you have more than 1 stick of ram or other modules try single stick swap modules. Other possibility is dead cmos battery but id be surprised if it caused screen corruption. It could be all 3 of these things together. But I would resolve all three questions before id think its something else.

mhhh....i think it's the HDD...long time ago i had a computer with HDD damaged and it didn't do anything,even the CTRLALTDEL didn't work,but the strange thing is that the display turns green after i power on,idk why

Reply 7 of 11, by stelth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

Hi
I removed the HDD and turn it on,did nothing and the greenish screen appeared ,then i put the HDD back and the icon turned green for a couple of seconds and did a sound,and it turned the screen green in 10 seconds.

i tried to disamble it,i removed and put back the BIOS batteries,nothing changed.

Reply 8 of 11, by stelth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stelth wrote:
Hi I removed the HDD and turn it on,did nothing and the greenish screen appeared ,then i put the HDD back and the icon turned g […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote:

Hi
I removed the HDD and turn it on,did nothing and the greenish screen appeared ,then i put the HDD back and the icon turned green for a couple of seconds and did a sound,and it turned the screen green in 10 seconds.

i tried to disamble it,i removed and put back the BIOS batteries,nothing changed.

Heres a couple of photos:

3a347f0b819f8d38373cfc03522fdf7f.png

66a733865fe9774facb375640769a6ff.png

It's so strange the screen turns green,1 year ago it turned on briefly with Windows 95 and ran perfectly,seems dead now

Reply 11 of 11, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sometimes the connectors inside old laptops get loose over time... might be worth a try to reseat stuff

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif