VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by egrabczewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying out a "new" (eBay purchased) Yamaha Audician 32 Plus card with SoftMPU but I've had no luck with getting MIDI output into my Roland MT-32 (using the usual MIDI/JOYSTICK port and cable).

Previously I'd successfully used a Sound Blaster 16 Value (CT-4170) with the following command line:

SOFTMPU /MPU:3300 /SB:220 /IRQ:5 /DELAYSYSEX /OUTPUT:SBMIDI

My PC hangs if I use the same line above on the Yamaha card. It doesn't like the /OUTPUT:SBMIDI argument. I'm told I shouldn't use it anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong. Of course the card might be faulty on MIDI (I've heard some very faint audio in MS-DOS 6.21 but that's all).

On booting the PC I get the following display of system settings for the card:

ISA/PNP Device listing ...
Card No. Device No. DMA IRQ Device Name
---------- ------------- -------- ------- ---------------------------------
1 0 0,1 5 OPL3-SA3 Sound Board
1 1 0,0 NA OPL3-SA3 Sound Board

(sorry if the previous table get's mashed by the forum software)

Reply 1 of 3, by egrabczewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never managed to get the Audician 32 Plus to work in the end. Had to swap it out.
Also, the /OUTPUT:SBMIDI flag wasn't necessary for the Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects (not Value); it worked fine without it.

Reply 2 of 3, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
egrabczewski wrote on 2019-12-18, 07:27:
I'm trying out a "new" (eBay purchased) Yamaha Audician 32 Plus card with SoftMPU but I've had no luck with getting MIDI output […]
Show full quote

I'm trying out a "new" (eBay purchased) Yamaha Audician 32 Plus card with SoftMPU but I've had no luck with getting MIDI output into my Roland MT-32 (using the usual MIDI/JOYSTICK port and cable).

Previously I'd successfully used a Sound Blaster 16 Value (CT-4170) with the following command line:

SOFTMPU /MPU:3300 /SB:220 /IRQ:5 /DELAYSYSEX /OUTPUT:SBMIDI

My PC hangs if I use the same line above on the Yamaha card. It doesn't like the /OUTPUT:SBMIDI argument. I'm told I shouldn't use it anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong. Of course the card might be faulty on MIDI (I've heard some very faint audio in MS-DOS 6.21 but that's all).

On booting the PC I get the following display of system settings for the card:

ISA/PNP Device listing ...
Card No. Device No. DMA IRQ Device Name
---------- ------------- -------- ------- ---------------------------------
1 0 0,1 5 OPL3-SA3 Sound Board
1 1 0,0 NA OPL3-SA3 Sound Board

(sorry if the previous table get's mashed by the forum software)

Are you using win 95/98?
Use the driver from Phils site. watch the video to see how setup the irq for DOS mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_L_1tvH1Ew

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 3 of 3, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
Seems the Audician should use IRQ2/9 with SOFTMPU according to the documentation, but i don't know myself how to do that without breaking SB compatibility (IRQ5/7). This board uses the same IRQ for FM and MPU so it seems.