VOGONS

First post, by that1crzywhtguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody have experience with this computer or similar Sony Vaio computers?

I'm trying to set up a basic little dos gaming rig for a buddy with this computer he had sitting in a closet. Dos and Win 98 seem to work fine for the most part so far, but I'm having trouble getting the audio drivers (sis730s) to work in dos, though they work in win98 well through realtek ac97, and I can't get win98 to acccept the video driver. It loads under the basic Microsoft display driver, but that limits me to 16 colors and 640x480. I've tried sis drivers I could find, and even one specific for sony (found here: http://www.driversguru.com/driverdetail/22002 … 30+Video+Driver), but so far no luck. The basic driver installs, but then it never loads. If I force it to load that driver speciifcally, it will do it, but it isn't loading correctly, so still 16 colors and 640x480. If I use the sony specific one, it says the driver isn't designed for this machine.

I'm feeling stuck. Anybody go through anything similar and figure it out? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vendors like to wrap up driver files up into their own bundle to both brand and not back support older OSes. SIDVID-00106608-US.EXE is a Wise Solutions installer archive. 7z, cmd switches, and unshield did not work for me. But installing Universal Extractor on a windows machine will extract this. There's a complete SiS install suite in there including the Win98 driver. Or just tell device manager "have disk" and point it to the WIN98 directory.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you installed the chipset drivers yet?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this topic talks about the DOS drivers and DOS game support using same chipset: My SiS 730S Duron system!
"For DOS gaming....
the DOS drivers can be set to emulate either a SB16 or a SBPro and take about 30KB of conventional memory. It uses two files, SNDINIT.EXE and SNDTSR.EXE"

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
that1crzywhtguy wrote:

Already tried that one unfortunately, no dice. 🙁

But did you extract it and use the files in its WIN98 dir? The "the driver isn't designed for this machine" message is from the Sony wrapper. Inside are all of the drivers for 95, 98, ME as well as all of SiS's video utilities. Version 1.08 for VEN_1039&DEV_0009. Check if it is device code 0009. That should be the proper driver.