VOGONS

First post, by r290

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, i am not that educated in vantage graphics cards so i have some question.
I have a stash of old AGP, gpus and decided to get rid of them, a guy contacted me and wants to buy them for salvaging 0,50e each.

Maybe anyone can help me to get some clue if i should save some models and try to sell for enthusiasts? But i have no idea about prices and ebay isnt a good place to look, cause some run for 100-200 usd, in my eyes with no reason at all and no buyers : )
I tested all of them in my old machine and played some NFSU 2, the old times. So they are in working condition.

MY GPUs

Geforce 256, from Asus V6600 - I reckon this one somewhat more rare? Because cheapest i saw in ebay was 60+ ?
Geforce 4200 ti
Geforce FX 5200, 5600, 5700 LE,
ATI radeon A9550
ATI radeon HD 3450 512mb
Geforce quadro 280 NES
Radeon PRO 9000
3dfx voodoo 3 1999ish~ card, this one untested i dont have such old system to check it.

So if there are good people willing to educate me a bit i would be very glad and maybe some of those cards have more value than recycling?

Reply 1 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS V6600

Sought after card for collection.

ATI radeon A9550
ATI radeon HD 3450 512mb

Trash.

Geforce FX 5200, 5600, 5700 LE

Mostly trash, but some 5600 models are interesting to have for collection.

Geforce 4200 ti

Commonly mentioned card for retrogaming.

Radeon PRO 9000

Might be worth for collection, but overall not all that interesting. Just meh.

quadro 280 NVS

Trash. Unless it's a PCI model.

3dfx voodoo 3

Highly sought after card for retrogaming.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 17, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Radeon HD3450s are interesting cards - they're one of the few GPUs that were available in PCI-e, AGP, *and* "old" PCI. And the 512MB versions are pretty uncommon. Not worth super much, but not "trash" either IMHO.

The Geforce FX series and especially the Ti4200 are excellent choices for Win98 gaming builds. The FX5200 admittedly kinda sucks, but even the lower-spec cards are really handy to have around when doing a small-form-factor or low-power/quiet build. Same goes for the Quadro.

The other Radeons have their detractors (i.e. the poster directly above me), but I really like them for what they are. They're good all-around cards for their time, and they can run some things that the Nvidia cards can't, like ATI's Trueform tesselation engine.

Of course the big ticket items are the GF256 & Voodoo3, those regularly go for $60-100+ on the big auction site. If the "friendly scrapper" knew what those are and offered you Eur 0.50 each for them, he is deliberately trying to rip you off.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FX5200 you'd have to be picky still too. There's several brands that don't actually connect the provided Svideo jack to the card for example, and avoiding the 64-bit ones of course. Their saving grace is just some old game compatibility plus looking sharper than the prior Geforce cards, so those infamous cards aren't complete trash either. Not worth a lot for their infamy as a bad unwanted common budget card that definitely wasn't the way to go for mainstream gaming in their day, but still has practical use.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 17, by r290

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks for answers, but now i am even more confused than before. Im glad that i decided to contact the experts.
I live in a small country, so there isnt many people interested in these cards. I reckon none of them would be picked, even if i sold them for 1 euro each. So i should salvage the rest, except the more rare ones?

Like geforce 256, 4200 ti, 3dfx and maybe HD 3450? And try to sell those on ebay? the rest for recycling?

P.s are ATI rage 3, 4mb cards worth anything?

Reply 5 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're probably underestimating local buyers... Even in my county on local auction/fixed price sites the prices are pretty much in range of eBay and usually everything gets sold.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
r290 wrote:

Wow, thanks for answers, but now i am even more confused than before. Im glad that i decided to contact the experts.
I live in a small country, so there isnt many people interested in these cards. I reckon none of them would be picked, even if i sold them for 1 euro each. So i should salvage the rest, except the more rare ones?

First off, when it comes to old hardware, there's no such thing as 'a small country'. People looking for this sort of stuff do it internationally. So long as you can ship to other places, you can sell there. Of course, how much shipping is acceptable tends to depend on the price - a card worth EUR 100 is probably also worth shipping around the world for say EUR 25. It's unlikely someone buying a card worth EUR 2.50 will be prepared to pay the same shipping costs.

Like geforce 256, 4200 ti, 3dfx and maybe HD 3450? And try to sell those on ebay? the rest for recycling?

Tbh that HD3450 is overrated here. Yes, you can do a few more things with it than with similar cards, but the 512MB is pure marketing gimmick and I've certainly never been able to sell them - they're still low-end unloved and unwanted cards, regardless of whether they're PCI, AGP or PCIe.

As for the rest, don't scrap, *somebody* might want one. I'd recommend putting them as a lot on somewhere like amibay.com, at least for starters, or try whatever local Craigslist-alternative there is (can't give concrete recommendations if you don't say which small country you're located in.

P.s are ATI rage 3, 4mb cards worth anything?

Probably not, unless they're ISA or VLB Mach32/64, in which case more than a Voodoo. Otherwise they are very common and decently performing and compatible, but not particularly good at any one thing, so not much desired.

As a rule, AGP seems least desired bus, followed by PCIe, followed by PCI. VLB and EISA are the most sought-after, although high-end ISA stuff also can command a premium.

Reply 7 of 17, by r290

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your insight, i am from Lithuania, so shipping would be at a reasonable levels, if in Europe.ill try to lot them, maybe someone will need them, either for scrap or saving, I have like 20~
Geforce MX cards from 200 up to 440, 32-128mb, but i figured out myself, that these are worthless. So i did not even mention them. But maybe they are worth to throw in a lot as well.

Reply 8 of 17, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To sub the geforce 256; geforce4 mx440 is good substitution. I bought geforce2 mx400 128bit that is better than geforce2 mx which I had before.

Yes, geforce4 4200 is easier to get as well as geforce2 GTS and Pro which is better choice for DOS stuff.

PCI is gold money especially with Geforce2 and later. FX 5200 128bit still have poor MVertices fill rate. Either geforce4 ti series or FX 5600 or FX 5700. FX series is easier due to 8 bit platte and fog table support.

Cheers, Jason

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 17, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought plenty of stuff from Russia, Kazakhstan, Romania, Lithuania, Israel... enough that my government probably has me on a list somewhere. Retro computing stuff is definitely an international market, because almost nobody cares about this stuff anymore. But the people who DO care, care A LOT. Please don't throw any of this stuff away. Make some money on the more valuable cards, but even the "unloved" ones are perfectly usable cards. Remember, a few years ago, nobody would bend over to pick up an original Ad Lib or Voodoo 5. Now they're sought-after. It's incredibly short-sighted to think "eh, nobody wants AGP crap." Somebody WILL. 😀 So if you're not interested in sheltering a "worthless" card, just offer it up for the price of shipping and SOMEBODY will gladly give it a home.

Tell the scrapper to get lost.

Reply 10 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember, a few years ago, nobody would bend over to pick up an original Ad Lib or Voodoo 5.

That's a bad example. Both AdLib and Voodoo 5 were on demand even 10 years ago, just not ludicrously priced on ebay. Better example would be S3 Savage 4 (especiially PCI), which had really late recognition.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 17, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

high end cards retain value. Cheap cards don't. there maybe some exceptions but not many. its the same with everything else. If you go out and buy the special racing edition of the corvette in 20 years it will be still desirable. If you go out and buy the cheapest toyota in 20 years it might still be running but no one will want it.

Obviously becasue something costs a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean it is worth it. It has to be something that is actually good. Plenty of cars are overpriced pieces of shit that are designed and marketed for posers and shit that don't know anything about cars.

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-12-24, 06:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some shitty cards will be worth money down the road if they are very rare. People who want a complete collection will pay money for those rare cards they never intend on using.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13 of 17, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Some shitty cards will be worth money down the road if they are very rare. People who want a complete collection will pay money for those rare cards they never intend on using.

Maybe a volkwagon bug. It was a cheap car but the ones that are really rare are the slit window bugs, the rest are a dime a dozen. 🤣

Reply 14 of 17, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

high end cards retain value. Cheap cards don't. there maybe some exceptions but not many. its the same with everything else. If you go out and buy the special racing edition of the corvette in 20 years it will be still desirable. If you go out and buy the cheapest toyota in 20 years it might still be running but no one will want it.

Obviously becasue something costs a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean it is worth it. It has to be something that is actually good. Plenty of cars are overpriced pieces of shit that are designed and marketed for posers and shit that don't know anything about cars.

Well, cheap cards might have some redeeming values in terms of compatibility and/or other less immediately tangible reasons. Take, for example, an old-school Trident Providia (TGU9680 and such) - they are not considered fast PCI based 2D/GUI cards back in the old days, but they are stable with good support for oldschool DOS. The same is also true for the often maligned S3 Trio/Virge cards. Sure, they are dooky as Direct3D accelerators, but they are decent for most DOS/2D stuff.

Reply 15 of 17, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

S3 Savage 4 PCI is a desirable card? - ooh, I've got one of those somewhere, not sure if it's still in an old system - some nostalgia as it was my first ever card beyond 2D Windows accelerators.

Reply 17 of 17, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

S3 Savage 4 PCI is a desirable card? - ooh, I've got one of those somewhere, not sure if it's still in an old system - some nostalgia as it was my first ever card beyond 2D Windows accelerators.

Sure, why not. It's not too bad as a DX5/6 accelerator for the stuff that came out around 1998. It's also more compatible with old-school DOS games than, say, a Radeon 9200SE PCI.