What do you drive?

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 918, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

Not to mention unless you're on Nuclear power not any better for the environment.

They still aren't any better because that nuke plant could be replacing power made by a coal plant that's feeding the grid.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-12-27, 07:30. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 361 of 918, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the US were actually producing new nuke plants in anything but token quantity. In reality, growth in generating capacity is made up almost entirely of natural gas, wind, and solar installations.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 362 of 918, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

If the US were actually producing new nuke plants in anything but token quantity. In reality, growth in generating capacity is made up almost entirely of natural gas, wind, and solar installations.

I did the math on that a while ago. Too long to remember the exact number...
I took current USA power use and calculated how many new nuk plants would be needed (at the size they typically build now) to fully take over the part of the grid that isn't already on nuclear.
The number was in the high 100's.
No one wants one in their back yard so it's years of pain to even get one approved and built.
I just don't see it happening.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-12-27, 02:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 363 of 918, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 2014 Ford New Fiesta 1.5... *sighs*

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 364 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
I did the math on that a while ago. Too long to remember the exact number... I took current USA power use and calculated how man […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

I did the math on that a while ago. Too long to remember the exact number...
I took current USA power use and calculated how many new nuk plants would be needed (at the size they typically build now) to fully take over the part of the grid that isn't already on nuclear.
The number was in the high 100's.
No one wants one in their back yard so it's years of pain to even get one approved and built.
I just don't see it happening.

<--nuke worker

2018 stats for the USA
---------------------------
4178 Terawatt Hours net generation (all sources of power)
807 Terawatt Hours net generation (from nuclear)

If you were to build the largest AP1600 plants, these generate 38400 Megawatt Hours per day or 14,016,000 Megawatt Hours per year. (14.016 Terawatt Hours per year). So, you would need (3371 / 14.016) = 240.51, or 241 AP1600 nuclear plants. A single nuclear site can house multiple reactors, so it would be fewer than 241 places to build.

The GEH ESBWR is an approved USA design which could be built, at 1535 Megawatts net generation -- the nuclear plant I work at has combined operating license approval to build one. But, at a cost of around $9B, we've priced ourselves out of the large scale nuclear market in the USA.. too much red tape, licensing, safety system QA-1 costs, environmental studies, weather studies, EP-zoning, etc. Not to mention we don't have any of the factories left here to produce key parts needed.

The future for USA nuclear power will be small modular reactors where grid base-load demand needs it. They're modular, easy to transport the parts to site (rail/truck/barge), have a much smaller EP zone, far less safety systems (less engineering costs / parts costs), etc. These reactors are Babcock & Wilcox mPower, Holtec SMR-160, NuScale SMR, Westinghouse SMR.. among a few others like the ISMR, HTR, MSR, FNR, and eVinci.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 365 of 918, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi brother Nuke!
I retired from that about 20 years ago.

One factor I think you missed is that the plants can't operate at 100% power endlessly so you have to adjust the advertised full capacity for the online duty cycle.

There also has to be adjustment for plants nearing retirement and that's getting to be a lot.

Reply 366 of 918, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

Why *sighs*?
That sounds like a good choice for many people.
If it does what you need then who cares what other people think.

Reply 367 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Hi brother Nuke! I retired from that about 20 years ago. […]
Show full quote

Hi brother Nuke!
I retired from that about 20 years ago.

One factor I think you missed is that the plants can't operate at 100% power endlessly so you have to adjust the advertised full capacity for the online duty cycle.

There also has to be adjustment for plants nearing retirement and that's getting to be a lot.

Congrats on retirement. 😁 A lot of plants (including mine) have actually uprated our power output with leading edge flow meters instead of using venturi readings for feedwater flow, and moved to 24 month refuel outages. Lots of plants have received 20-year license extensions as well. But yea, as the fuel cycle nears the end and you're basically just running off of plutonium burn, you're going to "coast down" and power output dwindles. This really isn't until a month or two out from shutdown though.

My Github

Reply 368 of 918, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
[ Why *sighs*? That sounds like a good choice for many people. If it does what you need then who cares what other people think. […]
Show full quote

[
Why *sighs*?

I can only speak for myself, but most of us drive cars that aren't even close to what we actually want to drive. In many cases a small hatchback will do just fine and any luxury vehicle or a sports car is just a dream or too impractical. That doesn't mean I don't want to drive a Maserati or an Alfa every single day even if it would financially ruin me, but that's exactly what's keeping me in Volvo land. 😵

Reply 369 of 918, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

Congrats on retirement. 😁 A lot of plants (including mine) have actually uprated our power output with leading edge flow meters instead of using venturi readings for feedwater flow, and moved to 24 month refuel outages. Lots of plants have received 20-year license extensions as well. But yea, as the fuel cycle nears the end and you're basically just running off of plutonium burn, you're going to "coast down" and power output dwindles. This really isn't until a month or two out from shutdown though.

Longer fueling cycles implies a much better understanding of physics in the reactor. Improved fuel rod design and core geometry? Has the burn-up ratio improved as well?

I don't want to derail this too much, although I doubt this is worth a completely new thread. Please let me know if anyone wants the topic of nukes forked off.

Reply 370 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought a BMW 330e to replace my BMW 325i Coupe. Going to pick it up tomorrow.
Yay hybrid eco-treehugging etc!
Actually, it's just a damn smooth and fast drive train 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 371 of 918, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Why *sighs*? That sounds like a good choice for many people. If it does what you need then who cares what other people think. . […]
Show full quote
bfcastello wrote:

Why *sighs*?

I’d rather drive one of these:
A VW Golf GTi,
An Audi A3 Sportback 2.0,
Or a Ford Mustang GT500.

Then I fall from my bed and wake up on my New Fiesta...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 372 of 918, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2019-12-27, 16:35:
wiretap wrote:

Longer fueling cycles implies a much better understanding of physics in the reactor. Improved fuel rod design and core geometry? Has the burn-up ratio improved as well?

I don't want to derail this too much, although I doubt this is worth a completely new thread. Please let me know if anyone wants the topic of nukes forked off.

Yea, new fuel bundle design (# of fuel pins and geometry), better fuel cladding, new fuel loading patterns / core shuffle / rod pattern adjustment procedures, and new core monitoring software. I'm not 100% sure on the burn-up ratio or if we are just using slightly higher enrichment. However, 24-month refuel cycles has its downsides, since PM tasks are spaced further apart and more things have a chance to break from running so long.

My Github

Reply 373 of 918, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2019-12-27, 21:57:

Yea, new fuel bundle design (# of fuel pins and geometry), better fuel cladding, new fuel loading patterns / core shuffle / rod pattern adjustment procedures, and new core monitoring software. I'm not 100% sure on the burn-up ratio or if we are just using slightly higher enrichment. However, 24-month refuel cycles has its downsides, since PM tasks are spaced further apart and more things have a chance to break from running so long.

On the plus side, your experience base should be more solid when it comes to predictive maintenance. Some of the benefits of a mature plant.

It's a real shame the US hasn't committed any investment towards fuel reprocessing, basically since research on the IFR was terminated. Ditching Purex eliminates a lot of the safety and contamination issues experienced by the French and Japanese in their civil reprocessing programs.

Reply 374 of 918, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my truck, it's a 1990 Chevrolet C1500.

This photo was taken by my Father before I purchased it from him. He called me one day and said "I want to sell the blue truck on Kijiji", so I went there and bought it from him.

Attachments

Reply 375 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm quite a petrol head but without the money to buy something truly exciting. I drive two really old cars, one is a 2000 Renault Megane Break which I use for collecting computer stuff and shipping parcels, and this is my 1999 Renault Safrane for private use:

DSC_1219 forum.jpg
Filename
DSC_1219 forum.jpg
File size
119.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm looking to buy a more recent French car the moment I can, my wish is to own a Peugeot 407 coupe or maybe a late 607, but those large cars are becoming so expensive to drive, own and maintain in my country, that I might be forced to buy something small like a 207 instead.

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2020-02-20, 21:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 376 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote on 2019-12-27, 02:30:

I would be quite happy with that, if it has decent seats and cruise control 😀

Reply 377 of 918, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-01-11, 21:49:
bfcastello wrote on 2019-12-27, 02:30:

I would be quite happy with that, if it has decent seats and cruise control 😀

Decent seats my car has, but no cruise control... why would I want cruise control when all I want is to hammer the throttle down? 😜

It's not that bad, sometimes I get to drive my dad's Audi A3 Sportback 2.0, I believe 2012 or 2015 model. I never thought I'd love a car with automatic transmission.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 378 of 918, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2019-12-28, 02:12:

This is my truck, it's a 1990 Chevrolet C1500.

This photo was taken by my Father before I purchased it from him. He called me one day and said "I want to sell the blue truck on Kijiji", so I went there and bought it from him.

Nice peice, but that truck is 30yrs old, now considered a classic, smog regulations shouldnt apply anymore, i say turn that factory 350cid into a 383cid stroker and hot rod it, or just restore it stock and have yourself a reliable daily driver... "its time to choose". /G-man

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 379 of 918, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a car person. Recently go my '76 Honda CB550F back on the road.

Attachments

• 20191210_142923[1].jpg
    Filename
    20191210_142923[1].jpg
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉