The World's Fastest 486

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote:
ahh so 2 1 1 1 never worked for me on the biostar so I took it as a benchmark and did all the testing on 2 2 2 2. Just tried th […]
Show full quote

ahh so 2 1 1 1 never worked for me on the biostar so I took it as a benchmark and did all the testing on 2 2 2 2. Just tried the atc1415 at 2 1 1 1 and got 17.3

Going back to the biostar I still get invalid command.com or sometimes boots but quake quits with a page error.

By double banked do you mean using 1 cache chip per 2 banks? bottom pins of 1 bank and top pins if second?
If so then no.

I never used the bios you told me about because you said WT is enabled by default in stock bios and I am only using 32mb so there is no need to disable it hence no performance boost from the modded bios.

I am using 2 matched 16mb fpm 60ns single sided ram chips I know its not ideal because 2 chips but next best thing I got is a double sided 32mb chip but it is 70ns apparently (I tried both combinations of rams on the biostar and they both get 16.6 on 2 2 2 2

One time I was lucky to get a benchmark with 2 1 1 1 and 1 x 32 fpm 70ns chip and got 17.0 fps so still lagging behind atc1415

the act1415 and luckystar I used the same umc cache

The biostar is in a case so it was too hard to swap cache and this is the cache biostar has

This is a biostar v3 I do have a v2 also maybye ill try that for comparison too

The Biostar MB-8433UUD's BIOS has L2 set to WB by default, not WT. Who told you it is set to WT by default?

For this motherboard, "double-banked" cache = 8 chips + 1 tag. "single-banked" cache = 4 chips + 1 tag. The issues you are having with a 40 MHz FSB is due to using single-banked cache. Please insert 8 pieces of 32kx8 SRAM and set the jumpers accordingly.

Is your RAM EDO or FPM? I strongly suggest using FPM.

By the way, 2-2-2-2 is slower than 3-1-1-1.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 181 of 753, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see, I went back and you are right my error again reading your post. Indeed it says WB is default, can I get a link to that bios image please?

I don't think I have that cache in the right size, I got some cheap Chinese modules but in the shorter version like tag ram, in 32k version, worth to try those?

I don't know 3 1 1 1 was faster, learn something new always

yes using fpm ram as all the recommendations

Reply 182 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

32kx8 is 28-pin, which is the same size as your tag chip, the one with the '256' on it. You need 8 more '256' chips.

The BIOS is in this thread, page 1. Biostar-MB-8433UUD-BIOS_and_Manual.zip

Reply 183 of 753, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx for all your tips, I installed 256 double banked cache like you said. Flashed your bios and system runs stable with 2 1 1 1 and WT L2. This gave me a result of 17.4 fps. Quiet happy to retire on that.

I have to say nice manual and information, must of taken a bit of time to write and compile.

You are the master of the biostar, thanx for your help

Reply 184 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using only 32 MB of RAM, you should be able to leave the L2 in WB mode. It is technically faster, but I doubt your Quake score will change.

At 40 MHz, nearly all 486 boards handle 256K double-banked with faster timings.

Reply 185 of 753, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

If looking into making an adapter/converter, I'd start with the original MediaGX, then try for GXm, or GXi. I'd leave the AMD and more advanced chips out of it. We'd want to put the chip into a mode which bypasses the on-chip graphics, sound, and the memory controller. I've used the GXm with off-chip PCI Graphics and sound without issue.

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I'm not sure the issue was ever addressed elsewhere, though I know the topic of the pinout of the Media GX processors has come up elsewhere since:
Re: Need socket 7 Cyrix MediaGX/NS Geode pinout

same as this doccument:
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Cyrix/MediaGX/gxmdb_v20.pdf

But as far as I can see from the doccumentation, there's no direct FSB/CPU bus style parallel address + data bus connection available. You get the 32-bit multiplexed address/data lines for the PCI interface (or external companion chipset interface, including PCI) and you get 64 data plus 12 multiplexed address/data lines for the local DRAM bus.

I suppose an external adapter could demultiplex the PCI bus to work on Socket 3, and maybe you could overclock that bus to 66 MHz and adjust the clock multiplier accordingly (since the Media GX core clock generator runs off the PCI frequency), but a straight passive adapter wouldn't work.
That's also why there isn't support for external L2 cache. (if it did exist it would need to be across that slow 32-bit bus ... or fudged somehow to be addressed like DRAM but without the latency)
Come to think of it, it might even be simpler to rig up external interface logic to translate the DRAM bus to a FSB for an external chipset, and you should even get a Pentium style 64-bit bus connection that way. (though things like external wait state generation might not work right since the Media GX was designed to handle all that internally and act as the bus gateway for any other chips trying to access DRAM)

That'a assuming there's not some special feature that internally remaps pins to allow a straightforward external memory interface compatible with a normal FSB, but I've never heard of anything like that. (it would've been neat and allowed Cyrix to sell Socket 3 and/or Socket 5/7 5x86/5x86MX chips using the same dies and packages as the Media GX, just with the on-chip peripheral logic disabled, sort of like AMD did with the "Athlon" variants of several of their APU lines, except all of those still retained the on-chip memory controller, but that was already standard for desktop processors by that point ... though none of those Athlon chips were AM3/3+ compatible, also not meeting the same sort of cross-platform flexibility I was thinking of)

The PGA chips already fit into normal Socket 5/7 sockets (and many Media GX/Geode boards even use stock Socket 7 ZIF sockets, confusingly ... given they still have 'Socket 7' molded into them) so it could've been a simple matter of having external jumpers/laser pits to switch the mode at the factory into a Socket 7 compatible one, but physically remapping the pins in the package would probably avoid increased on-chip complexity in the I/O section. (I don't think the physical pinout of the Media GX is very close to Socket 7 already, though given the lack of complaints of dead/exploded chips from socket mismatch, it at least sounds like they avoided reversed voltage/ground polarity and horrible short circuits, but if they'd ever intended to allow for switchable bus interface modes, the 64-bit data lines should have matched up with S5/S7 and the 32-bit PCI A/D lines probably should have matched the normal 32-bit address bus)

Mounting the BGA chips on a PGA adapter board would probably be the easier solution for all of the above (just like was already somewhat common for QFP surface mounted 386, 486, and 5x86 chips) and would've even allowed stockpiling of BGA packaged chips that later got parted out as normal desktop compatible parts. (they'd also presumably run somewhat cooler and potentially clock higher with the video and I/O functions disabled)
Socket 3 also has the larger, extended pinout with added power and ground lines normally unused by 486/5x86 processors, but might've been useful to actually implement for a higher clocked 5x86 class chip. (I forget if even the Pentium Overdrive S3 chips used those pins ... the outer pins are also the ones likely to get bent/broken, so better for those to be redundant anyway)

Given the fact Cyrix never sold Socket 3 or 7 compatible Media GX derivatives, I'm going to assume that sort of alternate bus protocol functionality isn't supported and they'd never intended it to be used as such. So stumbling on some undocumented feature that enables that would be really surprising. (I wouldn't be so surprised if there was consideration for such a feature earlier in the design and it just got dropped somewhere later on)

edit:
https://flylib.com/books/4/57/1/html/2/images/03fig18.jpg

comparing the Socket 7 pinout, there's some obvious conflict of VSS (ground) and VCC (power) lines, so plugging either chip into the wrong socket could be very bad, but I just haven't heard of many anecdotes of such or of it even killing the CPUs. (given the dramatic incident that happened with reversed polarity through an Atari VCS chipset, I'd have thought failure would be more likely ... then again I think my case coincided with the voltage regulator fusing internally and causing unregulated 9 or 12 volts reverse polarity to run through the 5V rated chips, causing dramatic popped ceramic around the dies or one or two)

Reply 186 of 753, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait...MediaGX has a 64-bit datapath to memory? That really blows my mind.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 187 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was it the 32-bit external data bus which caused Intel such trouble in producing their socket 3 Pentium Overdrives?

I agree, it would have been nice for Cyrix to piggyback off their MediaGX production to produce the cx5x86 at higher frequencies and though to 1997. It would be interesting if meeting minutes of companies like Cyrix became public to see what strategies were discussed.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Wait...MediaGX has a 64-bit datapath to memory? That really blows my mind.

Yeah, the MediaGX had 64-bit internal and external data buses, while the cx5x86 was 64-bit internal and 32-bit external. That 64-bit data bus to SDRAM didn't seem to help the MediaGX much in comparison to 32-bit FPM memory on a socket 3 though. The 33 MHz FSB must have been the crippling component.

On the cx5x86, that 64-bit data path is broken into two 32-bit paths to allow for some parallelism.

The cache data port is 64 bits wide and can be split into two 32-bit data paths. The ability to have two 32-bit data paths allows the 5x86 to simultaneously perform a 32-bit data transfer to or from main memory, and a 32-bit data transfer to or from the load/store unit.

Reply 188 of 753, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the MediaGX have a larger cache line size to go along with the 64-bit memory bus or does it maintain a 16-byte line size and shorten the burst length to 2x 64-bit words? Maybe that explains the lackluster memory performance of the MediaGX (that, and the bandwidth-stealing video)

Reply 189 of 753, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've been doing all sorts of crazy stuff with my high-end 486 setup...

CPU: AMD 5x86-133 ADZ @ 180Mhz
Motherboard: LuckyStar LS-486E Rev. C2 - 60Mhz FSB with 1:1 PCI divider
L2 Cache: Magic 15ns 256Kb
RAM: 2x 8Mb EDO SIMM 60ns (tmtech chips)
Video: 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
HDD: Transcend IDE DOM 1Gb
Additional hardware: PS/2 Mouse ISA card adapter

===================================================================
Settings:

LUCKYSTAR LS-486E SETTINGS.png
Filename
LUCKYSTAR LS-486E SETTINGS.png
File size
481.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

CacheCheck:

CACHECHEK 486 180Mhz.png
Filename
CACHECHEK 486 180Mhz.png
File size
410.38 KiB
Views
File license

SpeedSys:

SPEEDSYS.gif
Filename
SPEEDSYS.gif
File size
35.48 KiB
Views
File license

___________________Read___________Write____________Move__
Cache Level 1_________170.89 MB/s________76.61 MB/s________220.15 MB/s
Cache Level 2__________83.67 MB/s________76.41 MB/s_________38.34 MB/s
Memory _____________57.34 MB/s________76.58 MB/s_________20.45 MB/s

3D games and benchmarks:
Doom Shareware v1.09 timedemo - 1098 ticks / 68.0 fps
Quake Shareware v1.06 timedemo - 19.4 fps / 20.2 fps with VESA
PCPlayer Benchmark 320x200 - 28.0 fps
PCPlayer Benchmark 640x480 - 12.5 fps
Chris's 3D Benchmark 320x200 - 76.0 fps
Chris's 3D Benchmark 640x480 - 23.3 fps
Duke Nukem 3D observable framerate (VESA 320x200) - 70+ fps
Duke Nukem 3D observable framerate (VESA 640x480) - 28+ fps

CPU-Z VINTAGE:

AMD 5x86 ADZ 180Mhz CPU-Z.png
Filename
AMD 5x86 ADZ 180Mhz CPU-Z.png
File size
31.1 KiB
Views
File license

Interesting sidenote: According to CPU-Z, my setup is very close to the infamous IDT WinChip C6 200Mhz. So it's really a 486 class CPU on steroids.

P.S.
Now try to beat my scores =P

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-03-27, 18:41. Edited 5 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 190 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking back though this thread, I have a screenshot showing 19.8 fps in Quake sharewave v1.06. This was with the IBM 5x86c-133/2x. Several pages later, that same score was 19.1 fps, so not sure what I changed between those two screenshots. I'm still confused as to why ph4nt0m's score is lower on his LuckyStar.

Serpent's Duke 3D scores are impressive. Is it safe to run the PCI bus at 60 MHz with a Voodoo3 PCI card? With this configuration, are you able to run other PCI cards? What about playing the games with sound enabled - is it stable?

Does Windows crash or is it stable at 180 MHz? What voltage did the CPU need?

Reply 191 of 753, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it safe to run the PCI bus at 60 MHz with a Voodoo3 PCI card?

Yes, Voodoo cards are 66Mhz-friendly. Their AGP variants are just glorified PCI 66Mhz cards too.

With this configuration, are you able to run other PCI cards?

Unknown. But some LAN and IDE/SCSI controlers will work, especially if it's PCI-X variants (they were designed for that). Probably some late USB 2.0 cards too. Might look into it later.

What about playing the games with sound enabled - is it stable?

Didn't tried it, but I don't see any potential problem with an ISA sound card involved. I can easily use more sparing divider for the ISA bus. PCI sound cards, of course, are out of the question.

Does Windows crash or is it stable at 180 MHz?

Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98 SE were stable (CPU-Z screenshot above).

What voltage did the CPU need?

4V.

Reply 192 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an AMD chip which can run DOS benchmarks at 180 MHz and 4 V but fails in Windows.

If you are interested in stability testing in Windows, I have found that running GLQuake in loop for an hour can be helpful. Also, 3D Winbench97 and Final Reality benchmarks tend to catch a lot of marginal configurations.

Reply 193 of 753, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an AMD chip which can run DOS benchmarks at 180 MHz and 4 V but fails in Windows.

Technically it can run DOS benchmarks on 3.45V and can boot into Windows, but I've increased it to 4V, just to be safe.

I have found that running GLQuake in loop for an hour can be helpful

Might as well just run Quake 2. DOS Quake was stable for one hour.

Reply 194 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, Quake 2 is even better for Am5x86 configurations. Unfortunately, Quake 2 doesn't work well on IBM/Cyrix 5x86 chips when FP_FAST is enabled, so I use GLQuake + Finality Reality + 3DWinbench 97.

Reply 196 of 753, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like any 3D accelerated testing will have to wait for a while. Voodoo 3 driver doesn't like 486 CPU for some reason. Initially, I did Windows tests with S3 Virge, which was more or less stable with 60Mhz.

EDIT: Ok, the Quadro 4 NVS booted up with the driver installed. It's also 60Mhz capable, but has some issues with Doom timedemo (broken timings).
EDIT2: Quake 2 didn't launched in GL. Looks like Nvidia OpenGL libraries require Pentium class CPU. But I've managed to run Incoming. It's running quite well, albeit very slow.

EDIT3:
Obligatory Quake screenshot =P

Quake DOS.jpg
Filename
Quake DOS.jpg
File size
396.15 KiB
Views
File license

Quake 2 Software

Quake 2 Software.jpg
Filename
Quake 2 Software.jpg
File size
347.48 KiB
Views
File license

Incoming

Incoming.jpg
Filename
Incoming.jpg
File size
346.57 KiB
Views
File license

Expendable

Expendable.jpg
Filename
Expendable.jpg
File size
328.07 KiB
Views
File license

Blood with VESA 320x200

Blood VESA.jpg
Filename
Blood VESA.jpg
File size
321.18 KiB
Views
File license

Incoming, Expendable and Quake 2 were launched in Windows 98 SE. So yeah, I think my setup is quite stable in Windows. Probably can squeeze better performance with Windows 95 OSR2, but I need to do a fresh install.
Not sure why Voodoo 3 driver doesn't like 486DX, but I can try Voodoo 2. Who knows, maybe it can work with 60Mhz PCI bus too.

Reply 197 of 753, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to my 486 graphic card tests, Modern graphics on a 486 , I was able to run the Voodoo3 3000 with an Am5x86 on SiS496-based motherboards. I used the 3dfx Voodoo3 driver version 1.03 in Win95c. GLQuake ran at 27.5 fps w/Am5x86-160 and 27.6 fps w/Cyrix 5x86-133/4x.

I know myself and another user did test with the RIVA TNT using GLQuake and Quake II on a socket 3. I think the other user used an Am5x86. Finding the right driver was tricky but worked out.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with the Voodoo3 on your system. I'd check to see if it works with a 30 MHz PCI bus. The other variables are the 3dfx driver version and the directx version installed.

Reply 198 of 753, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with the Voodoo3 on your system. I'd check to see if it works with a 30 MHz PCI bus.

No, the problem persisted even on stock settings. The last official driver is not compatible with SIS chipset or 486 CPUs in general. I think Riva TNT2 with Detonator 2.08 will work fine in all games.

I'm also more interested to improve my DOS scores. Probably some L2 cache chips in my possession are capable to work with tighter timings. 20 fps in Quake must be achieved!