VOGONS

Common searches

Heads up: Vogons will be updated

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 149, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't get all the fuzz about old browsers support. In this forum we may be discussing old stuff, but in 2020. A modern forum implementation with whatever comes with it is the right way to go and there is no need to explain why to those who don't understand this. "Who cares what chrome is doing", really now?

Reply 122 of 149, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

I don't get all the fuzz about old browsers support. In this forum we may be discussing old stuff, but in 2020. A modern forum implementation with whatever comes with it is the right way to go and there is no need to explain why to those who don't understand this. "Who cares what chrome is doing", really now?

Plus the retro OS on retro hardware is only one small part of what VOGONS is about. Remember what the name is an acronym for. The retro hardware section is an after thought. The original VOGONS members had/have and use modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 123 of 149, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going to miss the old look. Hope my 486, Pentium, and Pentium 3 machines can take it. I have modern systems and other things in case the site won't work with FireFox 2.0.0.20 or IE 5.5-6

Secure sites are better than non-secure sites.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 125 of 149, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Before the same gets posted again and again, just enjoy the preview Dosfreak posted 😉

I am looking forward to the change.
I am sure you'll do the best you can.

Just one request...
Please make sure that no content gets lost and internal forum links and old links stay alive (no 404).
If the new forums software doesn't support that, maybe you could check out if you can rip some porttion from the converter software provided by the new forums' software, to have some redirector script that leads visitors from old external links to the appropriate new thread URL?

Reply 128 of 149, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really like it.

Dotted lines and not quite complete rectangles - it somehow feels familiar. Like I'm in an operating system from the early 2000's, with a bit more purple added into it.

And it's finally responsive! Oh the wonders of a modern world!

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 130 of 149, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am unable to view my posts, both replied to and created ones on my phone. Looks good, but, I cannot find anything to view my posts on my phone. The site looks cleaner and easier to read on my phone, though.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 131 of 149, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting.

Posting from mobile now. Yep, it’s mobile-friendly, alright.

I guess I don’t understand the incomplete lines. They make it look like the whole site has a horrible CSS problem. But it doesn’t matter.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 132 of 149, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't mean to be a party pooper, though is there anyone else adverse to some change as I am?

I just feel that everytime something changes these days... it tends not to be for the better... just look at Star Wars, Windows 10, etc etc.

If it works, why fix it?

I'll still visit here, just, I knew how the old format worked and was used to it, while this... will take some getting used to!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 133 of 149, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It didn't work, read the introduction at Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 135 of 149, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Dominus wrote on 2019-12-28, 00:10:

read the introduction at Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 137 of 149, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh wow. New forum is here!

Hm. Where do I find the old „my topics“ page? Active topics I found, but not a list of topics I participated in?
Edit: found it. It’s in the search button... a bit hidden, but okay!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 138 of 149, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My brief thoughts / comments on the update so far would be -

- a big thanks for the effort the team have put in to make the update possible

- with the exception of the various combos of 'tartan' dithered backgrounds on alternate posts (please change this!!!) I'm comfortable using the new site at the default settings for the moment

- whilst noticing a number of the glitches others have flagged up, my only real issue was with the login in that I couldn't - the small 'power button' login screen refused to accept my password and whilst the full-width login screen that resulted seemed to have accepted it when re-entered (I even had the green online dot next to my avatar) I wasn't actually logged in at all. In the end I had submit a 'forgotten password' request and re-set it. Not sure if it's relevant, but the rejected password was a 40-odd character phrased based one with punctuation and brackets.