Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote on 2019-12-28, 08:11:

It's a bit hard to explain, but I'd rather see the threads I haven't read in the context of those I already have.)

THIS! Absolutely this. I have trouble putting it into words too. With "Unread posts", things just... disappear after you've read them. I want to view a list of topics, both read and unread, in the order in which they've been posted - and the old "Active topics" had a way to even let you choose what timeframe this could be (1 day, 7 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, all results). Right now "New posts" seems to default to 24 hours or so.

(This means, much like many oldtimers, I pretty much NEVER use the index page unless there's some pressing reason to.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 121 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
D2K wrote on 2019-12-28, 11:50:

Is there an issue with post counts? I don't have a huge post count or anything but it's higher than 2 :p
Also, I joined in 2005?

Snover wrote:

SNOVER

Snover, this is very weird and worrisome...

Stiletto

Reply 122 of 743, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the oldskool theme, but on my phone I find it still horrible. You only see 4-5 topics in a screen, in the old version I had desktop version selected and could see a whole forum at once with who posted last etc.Now it is alot more work to get an overview on a mobile device.
For the desktop version it will first be getting used to, only real problem is (like alot of restyled sites) that there is way too much empty space.
The information density on the old theme was alot higher per screen you veiw, which I personally like alot.

Reply 123 of 743, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:18:

Is there an issue with post counts? I don't have a huge post count or anything but it's higher than 2 :p
Also, I joined in 2005?

Snover wrote:

SNOVER

Before the upgrade you only had one post. So the number matches and a backup made to test development on also only has one post for you which is a lot older.

Are you sure about having more posts ? (are you not confused with a different account you might have had ?)

Last edited by Qbix on 2019-12-28, 20:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 124 of 743, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a subtle but rather great reference to DOS - the infamous C prompt and file path:

20191228_202844.jpg
Filename
20191228_202844.jpg
File size
462.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 127 of 743, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:44:

people don't have easy access to their posts now

the "your posts" at the top right ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 129 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:52:

it's "topics you posted in" 😉

Click the number under your name to the left? 😁

Stiletto

Reply 130 of 743, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:32:

Also, I joined in 2005?

Snover wrote:

SNOVER

Before the upgrade you only had one post. So the number matches and a backup made to test development on also only has one post for you which is a lot older.

Are you sure about having more posts ? (are you not confused with a different account you might have had ?)

Massive apologies, I must have created a secondary account for some reason 2011! I'll edit my previous post to avoid confusion.

Reply 131 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Duouk2000 wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:00:

Massive apologies, I must have created a secondary account for some reason 2011! I'll edit my previous post to avoid confusion.

No worries, all the heart attacks just blend together by this point. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 132 of 743, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:23:
Vynix wrote on 2019-12-28, 10:17:

Wowza... So far so good, I'm going to really miss the old theme...

I still miss the older old theme, circa 2011.

I guess we will all (well, most of us maybe?) miss a bit of the old Vogons.

I never saw that 2011 theme personally, so I can't really see how it looked at the time (maaayyyyybe there's a snapshot of the website with the old theme at archive.org)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 133 of 743, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:02:

After sharing my thoughts then reading through the thread. Basically even the minority of people here who either don't care or say they like it have problems with it. Everyone else hates it.

eh usually the only people who speak up are the ones that have a problem

Reply 135 of 743, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:35:

Oh, that brings back memories! Thanks!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 136 of 743, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Agent__x007

Man, that looks horrid. But I'm like 95% certain its a setting of your browser. Mine looks NOTHING like that (will attach).

I'm overall happy with the change, with 1 major and 1 minor exception.

#1: The auto scrolling effect bothers me in a way I can't properly put into words. I feel like I'm moving when I'm not and it misfires my brain. Minor annoyance.
#2: I was going to suggest the C:> be changed to V:> But now that I have it typed out, I'm not sure.

eoUhCDJm.jpg

Last edited by luckybob on 2019-12-28, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 137 of 743, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I for one, love it. It's no longer burning out my eyes and everything is smooth looking and easy to read. It's fast too. I honestly always hated the old theme and this is a welcome change for me.

I agree with it should run on new stuff too, I mean the site name is literally very old games on NEW systems.

Reply 138 of 743, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've adjusted the colors to old skool, the font size, etc... but i still feel like im way too zoomed in. I dont want to scroll and scroll and scroll through mostly lines all soaked up just by names and avatars, much more so than before. I view mostly by mobile phone, so ymmv. i really like the site, but until this gets better i dont see myslef browsing nearly as much as i used to. it's painful.

an entire site devoted to old software, updating to new software. what could go wrong?

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 139 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Duouk2000 wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:00:

Oh thank god.

We can move/merge the two accounts over to this one if you'd like! There's only a few posts on the newer account. I can reassign the posts but to move private messages, Qbix or Snover needs to handle it.

Stiletto