VOGONS

Evolution of a Socket3 System to a POD @100MHz

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 83, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your described problems pointing to an issue with L1:WB in combination with DMA access. This was a common problem in 486 platforms with introducing of WB-CPUs. The WB-mode needs a tight management of changed and writen adresses in RAM and caches. A two layer WB-mode (L1+L2 in WB) in combination with a component, which writes into the RAM in parallel to the CPU and the cache line (called DMA) is not easy to manage. The world of 486 were early pioneers ...

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 81 of 83, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:01:

No I don't, sorry. I thought SV2GX4 had the greatest potential for L1:WB?

There may be another user here, who has a board with SIS 85C471 + POD + L1: WB + Adaptec SCSI in use and can give us the hint ... please! 😀

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 82 of 83, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hate to bump this thread but could anyone of you SV2GX4 owners check whether your board works with a POD and a GUS (Max or PnP) for Duke3D/ROTT/Raptor? Duke and Rott have issues with Midi, while sounds work fine. With Raptor it's the other way around.
I have a SV2GX4 Rev 1.7 here which butchers the sound for above games whenever I try to use the GUS with my POD83 - so far the only fix I found was disabling L1 cache altogether.
Also noted that CTChip hangs when attempting to fix the dirty-bit whenever I have 1024K L2 cache installed - however it works fine with 256K in place. I'll check the modified BIOS later today.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 83 of 83, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote on 2020-10-04, 06:05:

Hate to bump this thread but could anyone of you SV2GX4 owners check whether your board works with a POD and a GUS (Max or PnP) for Duke3D/ROTT/Raptor? Duke and Rott have issues with Midi, while sounds work fine. With Raptor it's the other way around.
I have a SV2GX4 Rev 1.7 here which butchers the sound for above games whenever I try to use the GUS with my POD83 - so far the only fix I found was disabling L1 cache altogether.
Also noted that CTChip hangs when attempting to fix the dirty-bit whenever I have 1024K L2 cache installed - however it works fine with 256K in place. I'll check the modified BIOS later today.

Hi Shock,

I don’t have a GUS but I’ve had issues getting sound effects working with Duke3D when I have a POD installed on the GX4. I’ve tried a SB32PNP, Awe64, and an ESS. All three will lock up my machine when trying the sound test. If I install an AMD 5x86, all else being equal, sound effects work fine. I think our issues are related. Are you using Feipoa’s bios or original Asus bios? I’m using Feipoa’s myself.

Update: disabling L1 cache also resolved the sound issue for me, obviously not ideal 🤣

Update 2: Moved jumper 21 to position 2-3 for L1 WT and set L1 to WT in the bios and this resolved my issue. You lose the WB performance boost but it’s much better than disabling L1 altogether. Thinking about adding a toggle for this. Please try it and let me know!