Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If bookmarks can't be brought back, can we get our old bookmarks imported to our watch list? I had so many threads bookmarked so I could go back and get to them easily again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 41 of 516, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Three different browsers showing three different views of the home page using these display options on Android version 9:

Screenshot_20191228-192609_Firefox.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191228-192609_Firefox.jpg
File size
475.7 KiB
Views
File comment
Display options used
File license
CC-BY-4.0

1)

Screenshot_20191228-192241_Chrome.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191228-192241_Chrome.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File comment
Chrome browser
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2)

Screenshot_20191228-192310_Firefox.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191228-192310_Firefox.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File comment
Firefox browser
File license
CC-BY-4.0

3)

Screenshot_20191228-192326_Samsung Internet.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191228-192326_Samsung Internet.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File comment
Samsung browser
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You can see icons/ functions missing on the top right side for both Chrome and Firefox browsers, but not for the Samsung browser. This is only in portrait view. For landscape view, these become visible again. I'm referring to things like 'new posts', 'unread posts' etc...

Could this be looked into? Thanks in advance.

Reply 42 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Samsung is not displaying the mobile version.
In the mobile version displayed by chrome and firefox, the extra buttons are shown when you press the search button.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 44 of 516, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:45:

Samsung is not displaying the mobile version.
In the mobile version displayed by chrome and firefox, the extra buttons are shown when you press the search button.

Okay cool. I just noticed I've switched to 'desktop mode' for the Samsung browser. Here it is in 'mobile mode':

Screenshot_20191228-194843_Samsung Internet.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191228-194843_Samsung Internet.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File comment
Samsung browser in mobile mode
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Thanks for that.

I have a new request: By switching between mobile and desktop browser modes, I'm forced to re-login each time. I'm sure on the previous forum this was transparent and I used to switch modes depending on how I wanted pages to be displayed. Could this be disabled? Cheers.

Reply 45 of 516, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anyone else notice their time zone setting change? I am sure I had it set correctly before, but the first time I looked through my settings since the update, it was configured for a custom time zone, with the time one hour ahead.

Reply 46 of 516, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have another suggestion:

The page numbers for posts are not very obvious. It is kind of confusing which one is the current page (perhaps it should be highlighted or bolded rather than just an icon next to it?) Also, they should be above the "quick reply" box and not below it!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 49 of 516, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new color scheme is nearly as unreadable as the old one was. I really like my purple and violet shirts, but displays that have background colors with lots of red (and blue) are really bad for readability and eye comfort. This is because our eyes' contrast sensitivity is primarily in the green part of the spectrum. So screens with predominantly purple and violet color tones (which have very little green) causes strain when reading the white text.

Suggestion: Either choose a background color scheme that is more comfortable and friendly to the users, or how about making the background color a user choice?

Reply 50 of 516, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The old 'active topics' link is currently working as the 'new posts' link. However, the pages being displayed are either 10 pages or 2 pages depending on whether you are logged in or not, as shown below:

20191229_151730_compress32.jpg
Filename
20191229_151730_compress32.jpg
File size
224.4 KiB
Views
File comment
Logged off is 10 pages
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20191229_151609.jpg
Filename
20191229_151609.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File comment
Logged on is 2 pages
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Please can you makes this 10 pages for both cases. Also, whilst logged off, can you use the old skool colour theme rather than the default? As you can see above, the theme is changed when logged off. Thanks in advance.

Reply 51 of 516, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ffs just make an extra button for active topics and have new posts be new posts, having the behavior change when logged in/out is confusing and silly

Reply 52 of 516, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am missing the page forward/backwards/direct page jump links on the "New posts" page.
This functionality was/is particularly helpful to see what has been hot topic when returning from a longer absence.
I'd appreciate very much if that could be added.

Done, see above
Could be easier to find. Maybe another button "Active topics" could be added in the menu area?
Just saw that this already is done too 😀

Otherwise, I am still very pleased with how you reworked the forums.
The added features, like spoiler, collapsible text etc are great.
Thanks for the great work! Thumbs up!

Reply 53 of 516, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but this new forum look is awful. It looks cheap and amateurish, and isn't pleasant to use at all.

I don't know about the actual functional improvements, as I've not yet tried them, but even though it's a new forum system, can a third skin/aesthetic option be added that makes it look like the old style, please? That was great and worked really well.

Also, why is it that on the forum's menu pages (where the topics are listed) the various pages of a thread aren't listed any more? You know, how it used to say:

Running Build Games in DOSBox

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8

Using audio files in the GTA games

Page: 1

Best Windows 9x flight simulators

Page: 1, 2

Good, free games

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125

Reply 54 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have vision issues and purple color does not do well with my eyesight. If there was a mobile app around for this, that'd be great, even adding a theme to change between the old site and new one. On top of that, when I look at the posts I replied to or started, it doesn't show the page numbers like it used to, especially when viewing the threads. I have to take a wild guess at which page I was on last so that I won't miss any new replies.

I also use my Windows 98SE machines to browse the site on a weekly basis and I'm too lazy to install KernelEx and modern FireFox onto Windows 98SE as FireFox takes more RAM than 2.0.0.20 does.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 55 of 516, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2019-12-30, 12:54:

I have vision issues and purple color does not do well with my eyesight. If there was a mobile app around for this, that'd be great, even adding a theme to change between the old site and new one.

I'd personally like to have two more color themes available:

- black on white (useful in sunlight)
- light gray on black (useful in the dark)

Reply 56 of 516, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
precaud wrote on 2019-12-29, 13:40:

Suggestion: Either choose a background color scheme that is more comfortable and friendly to the users, or how about making the background color a user choice?

With the old (and new) vogons site I use a Firefox extension call "Toggle Darkmode" that provides black text on white background by default (despite the name). It's not perfect but a lot more legible.

Reply 57 of 516, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2019-12-28, 18:42:

also when you click on the thread in the "new posts" search results it should land you on the latest post not the 1st page of the thread that could be 5 years old

Either this or be able to jump direct to the last page from the thread list like the old layout.

Will take a bit of getting used to the new layout as been basically the same since I joined but I'm not hating the new design and as an old man who hates change that's a complement 😉

Reply 58 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you can jump to the last post bay clicking on the date displayed in the "newest post" coloumn

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 59 of 516, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just now found that on the "new posts" search you can click on the circular icon at the left side of each thread and it will take you to the 1st unread one
but it would be more convenient if you could click on the thread and go to the 1st unread post instead of the 1st page of the thread

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website