VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I talked myself into getting one of these, as I once went through a phase where I wanted all the Creative things (late 486 to early Pentium era), and I thought it would be fun to build a PC that was decked out with Singaporean goodness. It'll sit right next to my Matrox / MediaVision build -- haha. They can then compete for my love.

Anyway. There are generic Banshee drivers on VOGONS Drivers, and archives on Creative's support site (thanks for not being like Intel, Creative!), but I always had fun exploring the original media. It's kind of like the company was excited about their new product, and stuffed as much adoration into the retail package as possible, before languishing in the burden of after-sales support for years after. I want that first-album vibe.

Reply 1 of 10, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have one, but unfortunately I probably can't get to it the coming year. I did offer to upload it a couple of months ago, but no one replied with interest. I'm sure someone else has one here or can find a link, but if they don't I'll upload it someday. Not 100% sure if it's English, but I think it is.

Reply 3 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're in luck. I bought a Creative 3D Banshee new back in the day and I still have the original box and manuals.
I foolishly loaned the card to some family member who later dumped the PC without telling me about it. Fortunately, I bought a replacement card a while back.

I also downloaded the latest drivers from Creative's site and, from what I recall, there wasn't much more on the disc.
It did come with a copy of the game Incoming.

I'll dig into my store room and report back.

Reply 4 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I figured there would be some promo stuff on there, like how the MPEG decoder cards came with the short movie with the guy watching a DVD on his computer, then getting sucked in to an Indiana Jones scene. Or like the audio card discs are stuffed full of things... SoundFonts, MIDI files, apps, "Live Experience" etc..

I know it's akin to trade-show chotchkies, but still.. it just reminds of me back when I was young and waited for half a year, got some new shiny card for Christmas, then poured over the disks/disc to soak up all the cool stuff the new hardware would let me do.

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've created both BIN/CUE & ISO images of the Creative 3D Banshee installation disc and uploaded the files to my Onedrive account.
Link is: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApmeVYI0PZURg3ouJeia79XAQX_O?e=ECD6OS

From what I can see, there isn't much more on the disc from what you could also download from Creative's website.
The "Updated drivers" folder is what I downloaded from Creative's site. There is also an updated BIOS included in the Windows NT & Windows 9x files.

Last edited by jesolo on 2020-04-12, 14:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first video card I ever bought was a voodoo banshee. I think I sold it to a friend and used the money to get a voodoo 3.... I remember to try out the card i also bought the game Future Cop LAPD.

Reply 8 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far, I've only used it on my test bench to provide video out on an AGP motherboard that I was using to test RAM sticks. Like an idiot, I totally did not consider that my target system -- a Pentium 166 MMX on a 430TX board -- does not have an AGP slot. So now I'm on the hunt for a PCI variant, which is apparently super rare, because of course it is.... 😜

Reply 9 of 10, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-01-01, 17:00:
I've created both BIN/CUE & ISO images of the Creative 3D Banshee installation disc and uploaded the files to my Onedrive accoun […]
Show full quote

I've created both BIN/CUE & ISO images of the Creative 3D Banshee installation disc and uploaded the files to my Onedrive account.
Link is: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApmeVYI0PZURg3rOu83E1bjRgLwx?e=agIlYF

From what I can see, there isn't much more on the disc from what you could also download from Creative's website.
The "Updated drivers" folder is what I downloaded from Creative's site. There is also an updated BIOS included in the Windows NT & Windows 9x files.

Thank you so much, this deserve a real smile!

Thanks, I prefer to have a CD ROM to install 😉

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 10 of 10, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirNickity wrote on 2019-12-30, 23:07:

Well, I figured there would be some promo stuff on there, like how the MPEG decoder cards came with the short movie with the guy watching a DVD on his computer, then getting sucked in to an Indiana Jones scene. Or like the audio card discs are stuffed full of things... SoundFonts, MIDI files, apps, "Live Experience" etc..

I know it's akin to trade-show chotchkies, but still.. it just reminds of me back when I was young and waited for half a year, got some new shiny card for Christmas, then poured over the disks/disc to soak up all the cool stuff the new hardware would let me do.

Hey, was wondering if you know where can i find that short movie you mentioned... Is it on some cd? Can't find it anywhere and i remember seeing it before (maybe on some game demos cd). Can you point me to some cd image? Thanks!