Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote on 2020-01-03, 23:51:

^^ what the crap? That's not even slightly what it looks like for me. Here's what I see (at -2 zoom level, which is how I've been using it on my 1280x800 MBP):

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 5.07.36 pm.png
Granted, this is on OS/X, but on my Linux & Windows PCs it looks similar. Why are you so against having anti-aliasing on?

see my second screenshot, I want my fonts to be crisp, your screenshots do not look crisp to me at all, they are blurry, and while certainly easier to read than the messed up one without smoothing on my side they do still strain my eyes after a bit.

I cannot set font smoothing selectively for a webpage, so it is either on or off, and on is definitely the worse option for me at the moment, as that would make so many other websites blurry.

Shagittarius wrote on 2020-01-04, 00:00:

Wow, both of you guys look bad compared to mine...This is at 4k with 150% zoom in the browser.

that text looks huge though compared to your browsers UI but yeah, of course they look a lot better at that size at a higher resolution ^^

Reply 321 of 743, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run windows at 100% No-Zoom, then I set apps where possible to do the zoom otherwise you are losing a lot of real estate and whats the point of that =)

Reply 325 of 743, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found it finally, its under color scheme. I thought it was a theme/etc. Was looking in the wrong place 🤣

Better now, at least I dont get a headache within 2 minutes of trying to do any actual reading now.

Reply 326 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yuck.

A spaced out, pictogram laden forum without clear tables. And THIS on a site focused on running old software and hardware. In the old days, we would make a mobile version and call it a day, not compromise the integrity of the site for everyone, like Google would.

The old design had flaws, but it was decent. So it seems the overall goal here was not "improved security" but to trash the design itself and replace it with...whatever is going on here. Let's be honest. You didn't like the old design any more; so you went in this direction.

It works; I will give it that. Some of its features are good. Others I just hate (like that "emoji" thing).

Snover wrote on 2019-12-28, 03:59:

Unfortunately, most people will just type in something like “password”, given the chance. Also, unless a password database is using a properly configured high-cost password hashing algorithm, an 8 character search space is now small enough to be brute forced in human scale time periods. The GRC Password Haystacks calculator gives a very general idea of the strength of different passwords based on length and complexity; more technical detail on the practical speed of brute forcing hashes can be found by searching about Hashcat.

I think the most secure and comfortable way is to use a password manager which generates strong random passwords that are different for each site, but please do what works for you! 😀

It's none of your business what passwords users use, at all. If a member wants to bypass the password, that should also be his perogative. You're not responsible for what happens either way, although if you have contact information for a user who has lost his account, you might be able to return it to him anyway.

Anyway. Here are my requests. I would like buttons with text labels at the least. I much prefer buttons to look as such and links to look as such; currently it's a little vague. I think the tables look messy right now because they are poorly defined. (Let's just assume "make it look like the old forum" isn't a suggestion you wish to consider). A more standard page list would be an improvement. Animation on the banner is super annoying. (ALL animation on web pages is super annoying).

Color is too uniform on "old skool." This goes back to the poorly defined tables. There should be definition and different colors as if you were looking at a page on a table that isn't the exact color and lighting of the table.

"Preview" does not work when a reply is added while you're typing. Tell you what. Here's an "old skool" opinion. I don't give a damn who submitted what while I was typing. That's MY problem, not the forum's to micromanage, and if in the strange case I need to edit my post in recognition of the last, I'll do so or be content to leave it as is.

Do not enjoy the license buttons on EVERY post and icon on every image, or those pictograms all over everything (like the chain icon, which seemingly means different things in different places!)

Also that "save as draft" button that will probably get used .0001% of the time can get lost, far away from the standard two buttons, preview and submit. When editing, the button which is in place of "submit" becomes "delete this post." Really? Does that need to be a button in the edit screen?

Not shocked, oh no, no. This is 2020. But I am disappointed to see this particular site looking this way.

Reply 327 of 743, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hwh wrote on 2020-01-04, 03:08:

It's none of your business what passwords users use, at all. If a member wants to bypass the password, that should also be his perogative. You're not responsible for what happens either way, although if you have contact information for a user who has lost his account, you might be able to return it to him anyway.

In the real world, compromised accounts are more than just an individual issue. Nobody here is being paid to play whack-a-mole with script kiddies shitting all over the forum. A base level of security is smart both as a means of saving other forum members from unwanted digital pollution and mods from having to clean up unwanted mess.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 328 of 743, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if we're taking a poll I don't particularly care for the font either, but it's trivial and doesn't meaningfully diminish my enjoyment of the forum

Reply 329 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-04, 03:18:
hwh wrote on 2020-01-04, 03:08:

In the real world, compromised accounts are more than just an individual issue. Nobody here is being paid to play whack-a-mole with script kiddies shitting all over the forum. A base level of security is smart both as a means of saving other forum members from unwanted digital pollution and mods from having to clean up unwanted mess.

...like we JUST HAD A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, thanks to user dan86 letting his account get compromised by using the same stupid password everywhere. Facepalm.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 331 of 743, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This forum redesign is straight cancer.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 332 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-04, 04:05:

thought that was pretty funny tbh

Yeah, I got a laugh too, but I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to clean up after it. I'd rather that kind of thing be the exception than the norm.

Mr.Blade wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:40:

...but this colour schema / theming is pure eye cancer.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-02, 06:59:

...one or two word encouragement posts are cancer to read so I'm not sure which is the lesser evil here..

appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-02, 12:39:

this highly stylized Verdana derivative is cancer of the eyes.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-01-04, 04:20:

This forum redesign is straight cancer.

Knock it off with this shit already. Cancer is a slow and painful death sentence caused by a near-incurable medical condition. This is a WEB FORUM REDESIGN with some fonts and colors you don't like. Grow up.

If you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to offer the feedback thread, feel free to do so. Otherwise piss off.

[edit: there, I re-worded it to make my actual point rather than just express my butthurt. Deal with it.]

Last edited by xjas on 2020-01-04, 04:58. Edited 3 times in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 333 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh cut it out with the holier than thou attitude, there is nothing wrong about calling something cancer that would be offensive to actual cancer survivors. There is no reason to invent stupid sensitivities as a cause to make themselves SJWs for. You are not the only one who lost someone close to cancer, so that does not allow you to preclude it from common usage as a figure of speech. I am sorry for your loss but deal with your pain in a more mature manner.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 334 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've dealt with my pain already. What I'm pissed off about is the non-stop whinging & moaning since the forum redesign. It's a web forum for discussing old games, just about the most trivial thing there is. It's not going to condemn you to a slow and painful death because the font is wrong or you don't like the background color. Jesus christ. Lots of people WERE offering constructive suggestions or feedback in this thread (and the actual feedback thread), but it's been completely drowned out thanks to posts like the above (and reactions to it like this one.)

I don't understand why "I hate it because it's new!!1" became the default attitude for so many people. It never looks good on anyone, and it's not gonna get you what you want.

I think I'm out of this pissing match for a while. You guys have fun. If Snover reverts the whole thing to the old board and reinstates "dan86"'s original account with its original compromised password, don't blame me.

Reply 335 of 743, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the massive amount of complaint is from an inability to accept changes, change is welcome when it is good and functioning properly.
The amount of complaint is because the result actually is eye straining, and does not look or function like the majority of other forum boards.
This new early 00's look works great as a "new user repellent", dark purple screams "run the other way". 😀

Also, does the "Creative Commons Attribution" icon has to spam each and every post and attachment, what's the purpose of that?

btw, emoji's and fonts look lovely (super sarcasm) on my 1920x1200 monitor.
* I'll turn on "smooth edges of screen fonts" when I'm dead. 😀 😀

sm.png
Filename
sm.png
File size
344 Bytes
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 336 of 743, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote on 2020-01-04, 05:27:

The amount of complaint is because the result actually is eye straining, and does not look or function like the majority of other forum boards.
This new early 00's look works great as a "new user repellent", dark purple screams "run the other way". 😀

I agree with this 100%. This particular color scheme, along with the font, is LITERALLY eye-straining. I have to look away from my monitor after about 1 minute of reading because my eyes literally hurt and I'm on the verge of headache. And I am NOT exaggerating. In fact, I'm having issues already looking at my screen just typing out this message.

I'm not complaining just to complain. I gave specific theme suggestions in the suggestions thread, and was pretty quickly told that is just wasn't happening. That's fine, that's the prerogative of the site owner. But it is also my prerogative to stop visiting here. From here on out, any google searches that point to these forums when I'm doing retro-builds, I will simply pull those results up on the web archive. It is a shame because this place is a treasure trove of information for retro PC builders, but it is useless to me if I can't read it without sustaining physical discomfort. It has been many years since I last stumbled upon a web page that hurt my eyes.

Reply 337 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Please do know that I am paying attention to every person’s feedback here, both individually and in aggregate. It is my goal to do what I can to make things work well for as many members as possible within the time, resource, and technical constraints that I have. I am currently splitting my available time between responding to feedback here and actually making progress on addressing issues which have already been brought up. I currently have a list of 34 open issues which I am working on, and I am sure this list will continue to grow a bit more as I process feedback in more detail and get a better sense of exactly what people are experiencing.

I know that this is a community of people with strong opinions, and I am glad that you are here to share them with me. I am also glad that you feel safe enough in this space to do so openly and honestly. I genuinely appreciate the constructive feedback that I have received so far—I feel that it has helped make meaningful improvements to the site which benefit everybody. To everyone who have submitted constructive comments: you’re pretty cool I guess. Thank you!

However.

I’m becoming pretty alarmed by the hyperbole, insults, snipes, and similar unprofessional conduct I’m seeing. Please remember that there is a human on the other side of the screen, and they’re here because they care about the same things that you do. Assume good faith from others. Focus on mutual goals. Be respectful of different viewpoints. It’s cool to disagree passionately; it’s not cool to be a dick about it. It’s also counterproductive in many cases—I cannot do anything useful with a post telling me that the design is a bunch of sweaty hot dumpsters from the armpit of YOUR MOM. I also don’t engage when people act like that so it is doubly counterproductive in that way.

For those for whom this place is like a second home, I know that it may feel like I just violated your personal space by making a bunch of changes that you didn’t ask for and may not want or which you may even find painful. I can appreciate how difficult this kind of thing is since it is certainly something I have experienced in my own life. It is not my intent to make your life or experience here worse or more difficult. I hope that over time and with the ongoing planned improvements in response to feedback that you will find equal or greater joy than you did before, if you can please at least be patient while I work on things.

Thanks!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 338 of 743, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-01-03, 23:39:

zooming in or out doesn't change that as the problem is the total inconsistency of the font

Changing the browser's zoom level isn't a solution, since it modifies everything including pictures, not just the font.
But this is coming from someone who doesn't have a problem with the size, so take that for what it's worth.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]